Latest build, Ramal-style Zenne Oud

Dusepo

Reaction score
[pic deleted]

Here's my latest build, a Ramal-style Zenne Oud.
A zenne oud has a shorter scale length than the standard oud. This one's scale length is 54cm.
Spruce, cherry, sapele and boxwood.

Last edited:
Looks a lot like a medieval lute. I had no idea that an Oud would have that kind of headstock. (I've only seen Persian Ouds that had a more guitar-like headstock instead of one at such an extreme back-angle)

Very neat, but how does it sound? (hint, hint)

Looks a lot like a medieval lute. I had no idea that an Oud would have that kind of headstock. (I've only seen Persian Ouds that had a more guitar-like headstock instead of one at such an extreme back-angle)

Very neat, but how does it sound? (hint, hint)

It's certainly related to the medieval lute - similar instruments were played in medieval Spain under the moors. A lot of those people were expelled after the reconquista and their descendants now live in north Africa. The Ramal/Al-Ramal style oud is from there.

What's unusual about the headstock? it's similar to a standard oud, but has less of a secondary curve on the usual S-shape. Almost every oud I've seen has a peghead joint of 45 degrees (guitars and ukes are usually 12-20 degrees), but looks more extreme due to that first curve of the S-shape. European lutes have a much more extreme angle though, like 60-90 degrees. Hope that makes sense.

I tried recording a sound sample last night, but the strings were still settling in tune. Maybe I'll have another go later today.

Yes, nylon oud strings.

Thanks. I admit to being naive and uneducated to the oud family. I always thought they were steel string. Being a nylon string instrument lover, now I have another instrument to add to my list of wants :)

Top Bottom