Fretboard stickers on expensive instruments

valde002

Reaction score
Just bought some fretboard markers for my ukulele(s). They are Honu turtles. Was thinking of putting them on some ukes, especially my player Kamaka, and more probably laminate Kala.

Any thoughts on these on the more expensive models? Do they come off easily? Do they somehow ruin the fretboard or body if on the body?

Any experiences with these? They are fun, and interchangeable!

Just bought some fretboard markers for my ukulele(s). They are Honu turtles. Was thinking of putting them on some ukes, especially my player Kamaka, and more probably laminate Kala.

Any thoughts on these on the more expensive models? Do they come off easily? Do they somehow ruin the fretboard or body if on the body?

Any experiences with these? They are fun, and interchangeable!

I wouldn't worry about putting stuff on a laminate uke: they're pretty tough.

As for more expensive instruments, I'd say it depends on the finish. I wouldn't risk it on oil or spirit varnish finishes or nitro. Poly is usually pretty tough so likely safer.

You could always email the manufacturer and ask if their finish would tolerate it.

I wouldn't worry about putting stuff on a laminate uke: they're pretty tough.

As for more expensive instruments, I'd say it depends on the finish. I wouldn't risk it on oil or spirit varnish finishes or nitro. Poly is usually pretty tough so likely safer.

You could always email the manufacturer and ask if their finish would tolerate it.

What about on fretboards? Those are finished differently I believe.

I think the OP is referring to putting them on the fretboard only, buddhuu - not the actual body.

I've seen fretboard stickers before, but I've always worried about glue residue being left behind. I'm sure there are some cleaners to clean that off and then re-oil the fretboard back up, but I would not like to do this on an expensive instrument. But, that's just me - everyone is free to do as they wish with their own.

Does the manufacturer of the fretboard stickers talk about this on their packaging or website?

Boiled linseed oil (sold as such under many brand names), which has historically been used as a wood cleaner and polish for fine furniture should be able to remove any clue residue left on the fretboard, while also conditioning it nicely.

I would avoid any solvents (isopropyl, acetone, naptha) or soaps, which will likely harm the wood and dry it out too much, eventually causing frets to lift and/or cracks in the wood.

I've added fret board stickers to a number of my ukes and bass ukes, they work great. I mainly buy Jokomo from Japan, which are very well made, also from Mexico other suppliers.

Mandolele black finished 700.jpg

Rondo blue & gold 800.jpg

Small P-bass done 600.jpg

Ukenbacker done front.jpg

I've never been one for stickers on instruments with the exception of Woody Guthrie-style "This machine kills fascists" stickers on a couple of cheap acoustic guitars.

That said, I think it would take a particularly idiotic manufacturer to produce fretboard stickers with adhesive that would harm the board. Generally speaking, excess adhesive can often be removed when dry by simply rubbing, or by scraping carefully with a razor blade. Chemicals aren't always necessary.

Stickers on a laminate sure, but I'd never put them on a something as nice as a Kamaka. It'd be like putting bumper stickers on a Mercedes. My daughter has the turtles on a Cordoba UP100 uke and they look nice, but it's a $60 ukulele.

I've never been one for stickers on instruments with the exception of Woody Guthrie-style "This machine kills fascists" stickers on a couple of cheap acoustic guitars.

Same here. There's a guy in my town that drives a huge flatbed work truck with a welding machine in the back. The welding machine has a "kills fascists" sticker on it. It cracks me up whenever I see it.

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to my uke's aesthetics but that blue one in Kohanmike's post is pretty darn cool looking.

I'm very against of sticking any to my fingerboard or have anyone else even have their sticky fingers on my instruments neck.
I remember my brother playing my guitar, and I was like wtf lol.

I did stick one Ibanez one to my guitar's side that came with the purchase. It is still in that, over 30 years. I feel better keep it on than try remove the residue that might stay if removing it. Just my opinion.

Yeah, so I've decided against putting them on the good ukes. Looking at the first uke that I put them on, last year, the sticker seems to be peeling off at the edges. I guess I will just put them on my laminate beater ukes and keep them away from the Kamakas! Now, those cases look good for bumper stickers....

Top Bottom