What weight Worth browns for Bruko maple soprano?

Wombat3

Reaction score
Recommendations i see here for stringing a Bruko soprano are mostly for Worth browns, but also for Fremont Blacklines in medium weight and Martin m600s.

I see Worth browns come in at least light and medium weights. Which is the preferred weight?

This is for a standard-body Bruko No.2, all maple with arched back.

Thanks for the guidance.

Worth has at least 10 different gauges of strings in both/each clear and brown.

See here:

http://worthc.to/english/w_strings.html

Thinner strings will have less tension, less volume, more sustain vs thicker strings more tension, more volume, less sustain.

My friend Booli taught me that, along with lots of other things.

Thanks, Ukecaster and Joe King, for this very helpful information. The Worth web site is a revelation! Have never seen a string company offer so many options. One of many things that always appealed to me about ukuleles is the way strings tend to last a long time and be much easier on the fingers than steel wire.

Worth BM’s

I put the Worth brown mediums on it. Way better sounding than the original Pyramids. Thanks to all the people here who gave me great advice.

My next project is finding strings that add brightness/crispness to a Makala Shark. That may not even be possible on a thick cheapie, but I guess we'll see.

My next project is finding strings that add brightness/crispness to a Makala Shark. That may not even be possible on a thick cheapie, but I guess we'll see.

There are quite a few threads on here about Dolphin strings and I believe that Dolphins are pretty much the same as Sharks. After sorting out the nut and saddle I swopped out the as supplied Aquila’s on a Dolphin and fitted Martin M600’s, I was very pleased with the improvement. I gifted that instrument on, but if I’d still got it then I’d modify it to try through bridge stringing for a further possible improvement - some say that that modification helps.

Last edited:
The Martin M600 set does sound somewhat better on my Shark: a little brighter, less muddy hard-strummed chords. May experiment further with Oasis brights and Worth clears. I'm guessing there is much more variance from sample to sample when you're dealing with inexpensive factory ukes. For example: With my handy dandy digital postal/kitchen scale, my black Shark weighs 465 grams/16.4 ounces. I weighed a white Shark and got 530 g/18.7 oz. That's a huge sample-to-sample difference in two theoretically identical soprano ukes. (Both were the current version with plastic body and plywood top.) Still, a perfect instrument for keeping under the car seat or giving away to a friend.

Postscript, written 4/28/18: After giving the Martin 600s time to settle/play in, helped by storage of the instrument under my car seat, I think the Martins sound even better. Sometime in a few months, after I finish a cross-country move and have access to my spare strings stash again, I may try some other clear fluorocarbon strings on this thing ... the Worths or Oasis, most likely, since I like them and have some. No on would ever confuse a Shark or Dolphin with a high-grade instrument, but for a dirt cheap beater or starter uke, it sounds and plays better than I ever expected. But get one from Uke Republic or Mim. They do a setup on everything they sell, and it makes a difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom