Want to change type of treble strings fo Kanile'a Islander Guitalele

songsforall

Reaction score
I love my new Islander Guitalele, but the upper strings are a little too sweet and thin for the way I play. I would like to play with strings that are more robust - brighter and warmer, but am afraid I'd damage the instrument because one is supposed to play with the strings specially made for it.

Any suggestions, or am I just wanting a brighter, warmer instrument?

The action is great on it and it is fun to play

Brighter and warmer and usually considered opposites on the ukulele tone continuum. :confused:

brighter and warmer

Brighter and warmer and usually considered opposites on the ukulele tone continuum. :confused:

That's why I said more "robust" - a fuller resonating tone.

That doesn't mean louder, although it might include that.

Probably am asking for more oomph than the typical ukelele while still having a bit of the ukelele sound.

If you want better resonance, you may have to try a different tuning like the "Eddie Freeman Special" or Kiku tunings offered by Southcoast. They are "E to e" tunings but the bottom 2 or 3 strings are reentrant so your low note is either E3 or D3 instead of the A2 you have now. That low A is not fully resonant on the guitalele body.

From what I understand, the question is about the treble strings, not the bass strings.

I feel the same way about the original Kanile'a/Islander GL6 string set: They work well and sound sweet, but I wouldn't mind a somewhat fuller, warmer tone.

As the scale length and the tuning are the same as on a normal baritone, I suppose you could just use the first three strings from a baritone string set of your choice to replace the trebles. Tension would be the same as on a baritone, so I don't think the instrument would be harmed as they seem pretty well built and stable. Personally, I'd give Worth Brown or Clear a try. As a matter of fact, I might just do that...

Top Bottom