Guitar Player found a Ukulele

Then I also tried and ws drawn to a £129 (we pay so much more than our friends across the pond)

Sadly true - and much less choice (but maybe not too bad a thing) :p

I like soprano so can't be that much help to you, but bought online from SUS and very positive experience. There is Dukes of Uke also in London if you are ever up that way.

Why pay for new when you can buy as new at a big discount. If you like Kala then why not consider my KA-ASOV tenor linked to higher in the thread. It’s a bargain.

Why pay for new when you can buy as new at a big discount. If you like Kala then why not consider my KA-ASOV tenor linked to higher in the thread. It’s a bargain.

Yes I did follow that link and am considering it :)

Ernie, have you listed your uke in our Marketplace area?
I'm kinda sure them's the rules....

If you find one in person you really like, I'd say get that one rather than buying online. Just like most any instrument, especially the lower priced ones, they can vary a lot from instrument to instrument. Nothing beats having it in your hands before you buy, if possible. I wish I had that option, but don't.

Strangely I really seem to be drawn to a Kala KA TG which although all laminate sounded good and had a lovely finish in gloss Mahogony with white binding. I noticed the action really varies and I think again as well as sounding nice the action was great. Maybe it had just been well set up ?

The Kala really seem to say buy me. Maybe I ws also drawn to it because it looked a little like my Taylor's with its nice gloss finish. Having played most of them in the shop it did sound good to my ear though. Would buying this model on line be the same or is it perhaps that I found one well set up and it just clicked with me ?

I am in town for a few more days so could pop in and get it later :drool:

If you find one in person you really like, I'd say get that one rather than buying online. Just like most any instrument, especially the lower priced ones, they can vary a lot from instrument to instrument. Nothing beats having it in your hands before you buy, if possible. I wish I had that option, but don't.

I agree with jer. Could it be that much cheaper to buy one on-line that is of unknown quality and set-up?

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. With my luck, I would go back tomorrow and it would have been sold.

If you found a specific one you like, then by all means, go for it. They might not be very consistent if you order another one online. Also, I think it would be fair to the store that served you so well to be spending your money there.

I will third this opinion, buy the one you tried and liked. We can over think these things, especially our first uke. Get it play it and if ukulele sticks you can always buy another high grade instrument down the road. And another and another and another, some of us have done just that:p

Hi Jerry,

Just send me a private message if you are interested. As already mentioned I have sold a Risa LP tenor and a Deering Goodtime Concert banjo to a chap in Hampshire, a Ohana TK 35CG tenor to another chap in Hampshire and a Risa
Soprano stick to a guy in Italy. All provided me with excellent reviews which can be found on this site and to which I will provide links if you wish.

I simply have too many ukes that are not getting played. They are all in immaculate condition, bought from either Southern Ukulele Store or Omega Music.

Anyway full descriptions are in the links I provided.

Hope to hear from you.

Cheers,

Ernie

Buying used as a starter is a great way to go.
Since you are a guitar player and already understand your like and dislike, this will be a pretty easy journey .
I think tenor and baritone are the most suitable for guitarist. The fretboard are not too tight from what you are used to. Low G tuning is also what most guitarist prefers.
As for the neck profile, Pono and Kala are both comfortable to hold. Some ukes neck are too shallow which made it difficult to fret and even cause pain in the wrist or may be that’s just me! I also prefer 1 1/2” nut width over the traditional size although I was never a good guitar player but the basic guitar technique is the same weather you are good or not so I think you may want to check out the wide nutwidth as well.

Hi Jerry,

Just send me a private message if you are interested.

Thanks Ernie. I realise its a great deal but at this stage I don't want to spend that much on my first Ukulele. See below for update.

Ok so here's an update. In the end I went for the Kala KA TG. I have to say I am amazed by the quality of the finish. Here it is next to my small bodied Taylor 512 (1997).

26020356538_2b741c12d0_b.jpg

25022103017_6b1f91cc8c_b.jpg

39861216002_52f7144edf_b.jpg

39861215682_154f28efe2_b.jpg

The overall quality of build and finishing including refinements like the black and white binding, fret dots on the side and super gloss is very nice. It plays well and was impressed at the intonation all the way up the kneck.. I will probably lower the saddle a little down to around 2mm over the 3-3.5mm it is as the moment though. May also rub a little lemon oil on that dry fretboard.

In fact I like it so much I have also ordered the soparano version Kala KA-S in satin finish for my grandson so we can learn together. Every time he sees my Taylors he plucks the strings and bounces from side to side when I play and sing for him. I never picked up guitar until I was 17 and no one was musical in the family, so although he is only 2, I want to introduce these instruments and music to him as young as possible.

At first I was going to spend about £40 ish on a Donner Ukulele from Amazon. Glad I came here to get some advice so thanks again for all your help, including Baz on Youtube gives some great tips and does some great reviews there.

Attachments

• IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1032.jpg
    IMG_1032.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi Jerry,

Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy your uke.

Check me out in the future if you get the UAS bug as most of us do :)

All the best,

Ernie

Thanks Ernie, sure will.

Took me years to find the right guitar so much so that I have two mid nineties Taylor 512s, both purchased second hand for the very reason explained in these posts!

In fact I like it so much I have also ordered the soparano version Kala KA-S in satin finish for my grandson so we can learn together.

A friendly prediction... While the soprano sits you will pick it up and this start your journey to owning a few ukuleles. Quite likely full blown UAS.

A friendly prediction... While the soprano sits you will pick it up and this start your journey to owning a few ukuleles. Quite likely full blown UAS.

Probably, in fact I already have my eye on one of these which seem incredible VFM. Maybe a Concert size then I would have all three lol

http://vtabmusic.com/product/681.html

28125140589_a57c1203b6_b.jpg

Again reviewed very well by Baz on Youtube.

Last edited:
So glad you got the one that you had been talking about. One reason most of us recommend Kala as a great lower to mid priced uke is their over all high quality. Their fit, finish and attention to detail coupled with good sound and playability is second to none.

That was an excellent post with the picture of your new Kala beside your "old" Taylor guitar. They make a handsome pair. Congratulations and it was very heartwarming to hear you are getting your grandson a Kala soprano. He can be just like grandpa with the matching Kala logo on the headstock

He can be just like grandpa with the matching Kala logo on the headstock

Yes lol

My first grandchild with a second grandaughter due in April. Grandchildren are such a blessing really completes the circle of life and being retired early, its blessings all round :)

Top Bottom