Season 310: Discovery and Exploration

Hi Rick ... and, again, best wishes for your Birthday! I feel this song fits into the "Exploration & Discovery" category. Unfortunately, I discovered too late that, in order to do it justice, one needs to be able to sing! This, then, is MY version of "Defying Gravity" ... something which I have no intention of ever doing!

Reputedly the favorite song of Russian cosmonauts since 1983, "Grass By The Home", about them exploring Space and discovering that they are longing for green, green grass of home.

Fireball XL5

Continuing the space theme... :) Come take a trip with Col. Steve Zodiac to Sector 25 of the Universe in the year 2026!

Last edited:
Happy Birthday Rick! I like this theme very much. Thank you for hosting.
Here is my first entry, an original instrumental.
I picked the soprano uke and added the glockenspiel. The art was made many years ago.
This I guess is about growing up, the loss of innocence, discovering things about the world around you that are wonderful, strange and sometimes cruel.

Oh, the little people in the drawings are all wearing convocation gown. As they graduate from the last chapter of their life they are hopping on to the next page.

Last edited:
This one is about looking for love. An original.

I played the baritone ukulele here. I used my phone to film myself drawing and re-drawing and drawing over and over.

End of Day Three. Forty-two entries! Each one a delight. Thanks so much for what you've brought so far. And for what's to come.

I've posted comments directly on the videos up 'til now. But this one deserves a separate mention.

Just to show you how small this blue orb is, one of the members of Mountain Goats is Matt Douglas. His father, George, is one of the leaders of the Raleigh Uke Jam. He's also our regular harmonica player! George talks about the band often, and while they're based nearby in Durham, by far their biggest fan base is outside the U.S. So they're on the road a lot and rarely play close to home.

I'm sure George will be thrilled to discover (see what I did there) the music making its way across uke-dom. Thanks, jon!

thank you for hosting this week Rick.
i've been on a spiritual journey my whole life.
could probably write a book about my conversion to Christianity in 1998 and
subsequent happenings, suffice it to say it's prelude made the news here
for all the wrong reasons.
it's a super theme. i hope i have time to play some more.
for now, here's a mountain goats song.
Romans 10:9
"That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord,"
and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead,
you will be saved."

I'm still snowed under with work but will do my best to try and get one in for ya at some point Rick.
Just really logging in to wish you a Happy(belated)Birthday mate. :cheers:

Be good to hear someone cover 'Lola' by The Kinks ........now that really was some unexpected discovery down in old Soho!!

Last edited:
You don't need to go off to foreign lands to be an explorer, it is enough to meet a new partner and spend some time exploring how alien the other is.

This song relates how the narrator looks back on a promising exploration that has been declared terra incognita by his soon to be ex-partner. Sometimes the "natives" just don't welcome your attempts at colonialism.

Exploring needn't take you far away. A morning walk can be enough
Song by Graeme Miles. Photos of the North York Moors by me. "Green Banks of Grain" refers to Grain Beck, a stream running through the moors into the river Esk which eventually reaches the sea at Whitby.

Happy Birthday and great theme. What's the time frame for entry and how long for the song time? Thanks

Happy Birthday and great theme. What's the time frame for entry and how long for the song time? Thanks

Rick will appreciate the birthday wishes.
This season will end when it is no longer Sunday the 28th of January in Hawaii.
A new season (311) will start when it first becomes Sunday the 28th of Jan in Hawaii.
No limit on song length (but I like 'em short).
5 song limit this week but each host sets the number of songs they wish.
Sure hope you join us!

This song really speaks of me when I was 29. I met my wife when I was 29 and if not for her I might still be living like a kid. It's a song that really talks about the potential of growth because I was just sort of hanging around and not really growing up. It's a Gin Blossoms cover from the album New Miserable Experience.

This week I started using both Garage Band and iMovie as I got a new PC with Windows 10 that doesn't support Windows Movie Maker and Audacity just hasn't been doing it for me lately. It was a lot of learning but I think the results are much better quality.

Top Bottom