Season 310: Discovery and Exploration

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
Reaction score

Hi folks!

Last September, my beautiful bride and I visited the Outer Banks of North Carolina for the first time. We shot the video at some of the earthworks at Fort Raleigh, some of the few remnants of the Lost Colony, Sir Walter Raleigh's unsuccessful attempt in the late 1500s to establish a permanent English settlement in the New World.

Not many miles away is Kitty Hawk, where the Wright Brothers 115 years ago completed the first powered flight.

The area inspired me to use discovery and exploration as the theme for this season. This week, let's hear some songs about personal, professional, spiritual, geographic developments/findings/ventures/endeavors.

I picked this week because it's my birthday week, so no more than five songs per Seasonista, please. I'm hitting one of those big round numbers, so I may have trouble keeping pace with y'all. :eek:ld:

The uke should be the centerpiece of your entries, but multi tracking, other instruments, collabs, etc., all welcome.

As are original songs!

Usual time limits apply.

Please be kind and comment on others' videos.

There will be prizes! A few trinkets I picked up at various tourist traps and visitor centers along the Outer Banks.

Have a blast and come sail away with me!

:music: :rock: :shaka:

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Greetings,

Coming back to the seasons hopefully this week. Great theme. Happy Birthday.

Ciao

Great theme! Will be traveling next week and may be off the grid quite a bit. Hopefully, I can get something in. It promises to be a good one!

NO, Rick .... I absolutely refuse to believe you're 80! An interesting theme for this week ... and a very Happy Birthday to you.

Probably more Adventure rather than Discovery or Exploration but certainly written and recorded for your season Rick.

paoriginal
baritone and Am 2nd position harmonica

As you plough through the snows of December
Remember that poor Captain Scott
Wasn't he the second to reach the South Pole?
Well no, in fact he was not.
Roald Amundsen, he was the first
Or that's what everyone reckoned.
But we've all been under a misapprehension
I've been toald that Roald was second.
When he arrived at his goal
A small patch of yellow snow marked it
For who was first to the pole
Spot of the Antarctic.
It was an elementary mistake
That put Roald out of the hunt
How can the man at the back of the sledge
Beat the dog he has tied to the front?
Then half way through the journey home
He spoke to his pet with regret
"I've miscalculated, our food is all ated
And McDonald's haven't opened here yet."
No for Roald the example of Oates
No bravely going out for a walk
He simply shouted "Come here, Spot"
And got out his knife and fork.
The dog may be gone, but the legend lives on
All down the years dog's have barked it
For who was the first to the pole?
Spot of the Antarctic.

Last edited:
OK. Not long ago I watched a video of Rick playing and singing Heard It Through the Grapevine in his car having driven safely to work through the snow. Now surely not even the USA would make an 80 year old do that....even 70 seems third worldly to me.... although I guess there'd be no car involved there.

OK. Not long ago I watched a video of Rick playing and singing Heard It Through the Grapevine in his car having driven safely to work through the snow. Now surely not even the USA would make an 80 year old do that....even 70 seems third worldly to me.... although I guess there'd be no car involved there.

Yes ... I REALLY don't believe you can possibly be coming up for 80, Rick; please put us straight!

Oh, and Brian ... HASN'T THE CRICKET GONE WELL!!!!

Last edited:
Yes, only joking, friends. It'll be 60. Sometimes it seems like 80. Other times 30. And as they say, eventually it'll seem like 4 or 5. At least to the caregivers ... :D :eek:ld:

Oh, and thanks so much for the birthday wishes, whatever year it happens to be

:eek:

Yes ... I REALLY don't believe you can possibly be coming up for 80, Rick; please put us straight!

Oh, and Brian ... HASN'T THE CRICKET GONE WELL!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom