Season 310: Discovery and Exploration

Here's a Jim Lauderdale song I love to play when I'm out driving. It doesn't mention discovery or exploration, but it is implied I think, and since it's a Lauderdale tune, I hope Rick allows it. lol I'm trying out Aquila carbon black strings for the first time here.

Here's a Porter Wagoner song I love, been wanting to try it for awhile. It's about discovering peoples lives thru the eyes of a bus driver. A bit abstract I for this weeks theme admit, but what the heck. lol This was my 2nd take.

Here's a David Bowie song that tuned in to the fascination around space exploration of the time, though I suspect it's a bit more ambiguous in meaning than that.

Was really missing the two bass strings to do the riff after the chorus but oh well.

Edit: Special props must go to uke4ia, and his genius 5500 Fmaj7 tip, without which this cover would not be possible.

Last edited:
Probably more Adventure rather than Discovery or Exploration but certainly written and recorded for your season Rick.

paoriginal
baritone and Am 2nd position harmonica

As Pa (and Trent) have surmised, this theme is open to wide interpretation.

Adventure songs are just fine. So are songs about romance ("Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places" would work), and others (hey, "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" would be awesome, if someone wanted to try it on the uke!).

Stay thirsty, my friends ...

As Pa (and Trent) have surmised, this theme is open to wide interpretation.

Adventure songs are just fine. So are songs about romance ("Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places" would work), and others (hey, "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" would be awesome, if someone wanted to try it on the uke!).

Stay thirsty, my friends ...

I'm glad you've said that because I've been working on this wondering whether it would fit or not. So here's an altogether more down to earth song of discovery. I absolutely love this song, tried to do the excellent playing and signing justice here. It's by Fairground Attraction.

Happy Birthday Rick!
I am pretty sure with your love of all things to do with Stiff Records, you will know this tale of exploration like the back of your hand. There it was on my 365 list, so I will use it for this Season.

Great season! This is a song I wrote inspired by this awesome old lady we saw years ago swinging at the park with her grandkid. I managed to secretly snap a photo and was reminded of her yesterday when going through old photos. The song is about exploring a new phase of life (one that we haven’t come to yet) It’s kind of rough. I had to do it in one take. It’s our school’s open house today and I am signed up to play ukulele for a bunch of kids I don’t know for two hours. Wish me luck!

Greetings,

Discovery and Exploration Week, so much I have discovered. This song has a double meaning, but I think you'll understand the lyrics of this beautiful One Republic song called Counting Stars.

Ciao
Gina

Edit: Special props must go to uke4ia, and his genius 5500 Fmaj7 tip, without which this cover would not be possible.

This trick has saved me many times, although it can make arpeggios a bit challenging.

Sorry to all the people early in the playlist. I haven't had time to comment your videos, but I enjoyed them immensely.

Greetings,

Discovery and Exploration Week, so much I have discovered. This song has a double meaning, but I think you'll understand the lyrics of this beautiful One Republic song called Counting Stars.

Ciao
Gina

Sure hope everyone hears the fabulous job Gina has done on this one.
Bravo Gina!!!

Season 310. Submission 1. "I Want You" (Words and music by Bob Dylan, 1966)

Rick, I spent some time in Greenwich Village in the 1960s. (Shhhhh ..... don't tell my mom!) It was a mecca for musicians, artists, writers and young people who were coming into their own. I'll never forget it and listening to those old songs by those who shared that special time in that special place brings it all back. Time travel, indeed.

Thank you very much for hosting, Rick, and this terrific theme! Happy Birthday! :)

Last edited:
This may well be my favorite Jerry Jeff Walker song, so really glad I finally got to try it. Sorta did it my own way. I'm playing this on a Bonanza uke that our experienced 60 year old host was the original owner of. Trying out the new Aquila sugar string on it, along with a Fremont soloist low G.

Top Bottom