Shoe String Acoustic Guitar Build Almost Anyone Can Build

Mark where the fretboard edges go on the masking tape.

Ke9wJNa.jpg

Spaced the bridge equally over the lines.

wKZSRKh.jpg

Double checked the bridge location and then moved the masking tape up against the bridge, I drew a line at the ends of the bridge then scribed with a razor blade on the line and along the edge of the masking tap. Then I used a sharp blade and scraped the finish off where the bridge will go.

vF5Ks3r.jpg

So much for my caul to put under the top. I could not get my hand in the hole far enough to place it. I was not happy about plan B but it worked once before. Took some film food wrap and taped it down in the back.

lDUWuz8.jpg

Got my masking tape ready as well as the bottom of the bridge. A grain or two of salt to keep the bridge from sliding around.

SBGuVOh.jpg

Placed the bridge, places some plastic tubing so it but up to the bridge, taped the whole arrangement air tight. Had the other end of the tubing taped to the hose of my vacuum cleaner. Turned it on and the food wrap got sucked tight. Yeah I know it is only a couple of inches pressure but it worked for me with a steel string guitar before, short scale so lower tension though.

WIejztj.jpg

Put a piece of wood over the plastic wrap to protect it and added some rods. Not enough to collapse the top, might not be enough pressure with them alone but with the vacuum it should be OK.

wQgwtfU.jpg

And now time to string it up.

m4UEthu.jpg

Hey you said this was a shoe string guitar. Those are clearly nylon.

Thanks for making the effort to capture and post your build. Fun and inspiring!

Hey you said this was a shoe string guitar. Those are clearly nylon.

Thanks for making the effort to capture and post your build. Fun and inspiring!

The nylon strings are only on for setup purposes. Shoelaces are expensive.

Well took some of the burs off the tuners and all but one os working well enough. I have the fretboard radiused and the D and G frets out too easy. I have a saddle that isn't radiused, if I get on the frets to see which are high I could get the thing set up better. Yes it sounds like a guitar. It has a wolfy resonance at C, not a big surprise given the size of it. It does sound more nylon stringed guitar than a ukulele.

I used a Martin size 5 outline and cut took out an inch in the lower bout, think it would be a better guitar with the extra inch. Guys, spend the extra buck and go for a wider board. Otherwise the flat sawn wood does not seem to be a problem. The C resonance is the biggest issue soundwise, wonder what it would be like with a hardwood back. I need to make it a little more playable and then give it to a buddy to hang on his wall. I do have a actual size 5 width guitar built out of a good board that needs to be finished. It should satisfy my need for a little plaything.

So things to take away from this build. I think for a spruce neck it should have a dowel in the heel. I am sure a of a rod of some kind or a piece of hardwood town the center might be a good addition for humidity swings. The resonance on the C could be tamed a little, different back wood and bracing might be in order. Better tuners, but again I built this for a wall.

Top Bottom