Round back... where to install pickup?

Losangelino

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I am seeking advice to see if it would be a problem to install a MiSi type pickup on my round back uke?
If so, where would you put the sound port?

I will be asking a local luthier to do it, but I wanted get your thoughts, before I drive out an hour to get to my nearest one.

It is not a perfect uke...as it has build flaws (like the dot markers in the wrong place 4,6,8,11 and some imperfections in the wood work), but it sounds awesome and is fun to play. Was initially going to just get a strap button but it has no block at the bottom.

Maybe a sound port with a button would solve both issues. Please see attached pictures.

iwKHBD4.jpg
IMG_3788.jpg
ZUaQOgQg.jpg
5ntevbjg.jpg
IMG_3787.jpg

When you say "sound port" I assume you mean the pickup jack? I have a couple of ukes where the jack is on the "underside" of the uke as you're playing - towards the bottom of your third picture assuming you are a right handed player. The down side of this location is that it doesn't serve well as a strap location. On both those ukes, the jack is almost flush with the body. Without a tail block I think you would have to use either a sound hole hook or "non-invasive" straps like the UkeLeash or Möbius Strap.

Maybe a sound port with a button would solve both issues.
View attachment 106083
By sound port I'm led to assume you mean the hole the MISI jack protrudes from. If so, I'd put a hole on a lower surface with enough area to support a reinforcement block glued to the inside.
The MISI Jack can fit a strap, but I wouldn't use one as the stress even with a glued in block may cause problems and the angle isn't right.
Or just use a quality sound hole pick up.

olphart,
No. I didn't build it. A friend of mine picked it up for me when he was in the Philippines. A guy there made it. Yes, iIt's gorgeous. But I don't have much more information about it--other than he said it was solid acacia and cedar. I was confused by the fret markers being off. some people said it is likely a mistake. I have since stuck some fret stickers on the right places to help me as I am just learning the instrument. I have another uke and played a few friends' ukes, and none of them sound as good as this. I haven't tried any of the super expensive ones out there.

Here is a shot showing the frets. b7ss120g3z701.jpg

Last edited:
spongeuke
Yes, sorry for the misuse of the term. I was reading another post about someone on here asking how to make sound ports, and I transposed it in my head with the Misi Jack. I am familiar with wood working but have not done any instrument work. I was thinking a glued block might work, but you're probably right its not going to hold the stress. Thanks for the response

Last edited:
Jim Hanks
Thank you. I will check those straps out. And yes sorry for the use of the wrong word.

Last edited:
Top Bottom