Ukulele tab and notation software

I have an ipad and use Onsong for chord charts but use TEFpad for writing tab. You can save as a pdf or use in the app. It has stand.not. &/or tab and a cool feature is that it plys the tune as a midi file and you can play along. You can even isolate a particular passage that you want to keep repeating and practice on. It was a nominal one time charge for the app, I think under $10.

I (too) use Guitar Pro (v.7)... I was pleasantly surprised that their Website "remembered" me from YEARS ago! I was able to upgrade comparatively inexpensively... It's fairly instinctive? It produces good enough (Ukulele!) TAB for my purpose. Purists would probably have to TWEAK things a little to achieve publishable copy. Ultimately, I don't have to (pencil) scrawl all over my various BOOKS. :)

That's a great question to ask, and I believe you'll receive a variety of responses. Lately, I've been using these ukulele scales I found on a ukulele tabs website, and I must say, it's been incredibly convenient and straightforward. The registration process only takes a couple of minutes, making it quick and easy to get started. It's a fantastic resource for anyone looking to enhance their ukulele playing skills.

Last edited:
I looked at musescore handbook and I have guitar pro but I don't think they can do what I want. Which is convert a given simple score on pdf into a tab. For example I like fiddle tunes and there is a lot of public domain sheet music available, but for me it is tedious to sight read or translate that to uke tab. Is there an app that can do that?

I looked at musescore handbook and I have guitar pro but I don't think they can do what I want. Which is convert a given simple score on pdf into a tab. For example I like fiddle tunes and there is a lot of public domain sheet music available, but for me it is tedious to sight read or translate that to uke tab. Is there an app that can do that?
Musescore can let you enter a score in standard notation and it will automatically convert it to an ukulele tab (you can choose high-G or low-G). You can enter the score note-by-note or scan it in, though entering it note by note is tedious and scanning is not 100% accurate.

Musescore can let you enter a score in standard notation and it will automatically convert it to an ukulele tab (you can choose high-G or low-G). You can enter the score note-by-note or scan it in, though entering it note by note is tedious and scanning is not 100% accurate.

I frequently go about it the tedious way and type it in manually.

It works, tabs come out.
But yeah, even when you have learned musescore, you will need to set aside a couple of hours to arrange your tune this way.

Edit:
Often I dont even translate to tabs, and just use this to transpose the tune.
One thing to notice when creating tabs this way is that you usually only get the melody line this way. For tune so sound full when played, you would probably want to add some chord notes manually after converting notation to tabs. Which also means finding the right inversions of the chords to go with the tune. It takes some time.

Last edited:
I frequently go about it the tedious way and type it in manually.

It works, tabs come out.
But yeah, even when you have learned musescore, you will need to set aside a couple of hours to arrange your tune this way.

Edit:
Often I dont even translate to tabs, and just use this to transpose the tune.
One thing to notice when creating tabs this way is that you usually only get the melody line this way. For tune so sound full when played, you would probably want to add some chord notes manually after converting notation to tabs. Which also means finding the right inversions of the chords to go with the tune. It takes some time.
Are there any better free or moderately priced (one time fee, no subscriptions) alternatives? Musescore is the only tab software that I have used?

Yes, you do only get the melody line if the original sheet music was only the melody line. Sheet music with chords should convert to ukulele tabs with chords.

Some sheet music contains different parts for different instruments. Jake and others are masters at merging these parts into a single ukulele score.

I use MuseScore, too. It's incredibly powerful software that is still free, thank goodness. It's not magic, though. When inputting your tunes methodically note by note, you should know the rules of music editing if you want it to look pro (ties, slurs, etc). This is really important if you are doing vocal music, but I admit to having a pet peeve which is improperly edited vocal scores where the lyrics are not formatted correctly and missing slurs on melismas. I have used MuseScore for transcribing ukulele music as well, creating both tabs and musical scores w/ lyrics and chords. If I'm ever not sure how to do a certain thing, I google it and usually find the answer that way. I've used the "download existing score" feature - most of the time it works, but you absolutely have to go over it inch by inch to check for errors here and there, and then make those edits. I think it's a program that is worth the effort. It has improved dramatically over recent years. A friend gave me a tutorial over zoom a few years back and that was invaluably helpful.

Are there any better free or moderately priced (one time fee, no subscriptions) alternatives? Musescore is the only tab software that I have used?

Yes, you do only get the melody line if the original sheet music was only the melody line. Sheet music with chords should convert to ukulele tabs with chords.

Some sheet music contains different parts for different instruments. Jake and others are masters at merging these parts into a single ukulele score.

It is also the only one I have used.
It fullfills me needs, so I stopped looking.

Top Bottom