Ukulele straps

bsfloyd

Reaction score
Does anyone here use the kind of strap that hangs from the player's neck, runs behind the instrument, and then attaches to the lower portion of the sound hole - similar to the kind that Willie Nelson uses? None of my ukes have any strap buttons and I might like this style. If you're using them, what brand(s) are you using and how do you like them? For those that have tried them and didn't like them, what didn't you like?

Thanks!

"Uke Thong"

I think I got mine on Ebay. Not as secure as a regular strap as you can't really let go of the uke but it works for me.

"Uke Thong"

I think I got mine on Ebay. Not as secure as a regular strap as you can't really let go of the uke but it works for me.

I used a neck/sound hole strap starting out but then had 2 buttons installed. As Doug stated you cannot let go of the uke with a sound hole strap or it will go crashing to the floor. Because of this and a more solid playing postion I moved to the acoustic guitar type of set up with a button on the bottom and on the heel of tje neck. A sound hole straps does work for supporting your uke while playing and frees up your fretting hand

I used a neck/sound hole strap starting out but then had 2 buttons installed. As Doug stated you cannot let go of the uke with a sound hole strap or it will go crashing to the floor. Because of this and a more solid playing postion I moved to the acoustic guitar type of set up with a button on the bottom and on the heel of tje neck. A sound hole straps does work for supporting your uke while playing and frees up your fretting hand

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be as solid feeling as a bottom block / neck heel attachment, but it does eliminate the need for strap buttons. I currently just use my lap as an anchor, and get by, but there are seldom times a little bit more "freedom" might be nice. I would be using the "thong" style only when seated.

I tried the sound hole hook kind and didn’t like it. For the reason pointed out above, plus I didn’t like the plastic hook in contact with my ukulele. My favorite set up is having two strap buttons. I do have one uke with the strap attached to the pick-up end pin and tied to the headstock. The headstock attachment is a webbing strap from Uke Leash. You should check out the Uke Leash website. Lori has some interesting no strap button ideas.

The "Mobius Strap" is another that doesn't require installation of buttons. I have never tried it personally.

Now here's some I never heard of, thanks for the suggestions everyone!! I will look them all up....

The "Mobius Strap" is another that doesn't require installation of buttons. I have never tried it personally.

+1. Stupid simple design and very effective (once you figure out how to put it on right!).

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be as solid feeling as a bottom block / neck heel attachment, but it does eliminate the need for strap buttons. I currently just use my lap as an anchor, and get by, but there are seldom times a little bit more "freedom" might be nice. I would be using the "thong" style only when seated.

If you are sitting then the "Uke Leash" would work very well, made and sold by a UU member. A small poly strap wraps around your head and clips to another poly strap with an adjustable loop end that you slip your arm through.

If you are sitting then the "Uke Leash" would work very well, made and sold by a UU member. A small poly strap wraps around your head and clips to another poly strap with an adjustable loop end that you slip your arm through.

I’ve used these, and they work fine. I still have one somewhere. They hold the peghead up good. :eek:ld:

I have heard that the Kiwaya strap works well and that the hook is rubber coated. Sounds like a good choice.

Thanks everyone! It's good to know there are choices :)

I just had got a double d belt to strap my uke like this
QQ??20180208205029.jpg

I have four sound hole straps for my tenors. I like them the best. You must keep you hands on the neck or use your elbow on right hand to stabilize Ukulele when left is not on the neck. Small price to pay for simple and very comfy design. I use them on all 8 shape and 8 shape cutaways.

Now, for Tiny Tenor just acquired, I’m going to more guitar like strap button. Neck strap slips on body of TT due to shape. The whole TT thing is very cool.

There are many good ways to strap and hold you ukulele. Just find which one of these suggestions work best for you

Good luck

it seems jake is selling a strap like the one he uses now.

Not sure why the kidney bean shaped plate is there. I always thought the clip part would have been curved to match the radius of the hole, but its not.

Link to Jakes page

I think the plate probably doubles as a pick guard.

I've used the J-hook style strap in instruments I didn't want to install a pin in. Not super secure, I'm not sure how someone as active as Jake manages......

Didn't notice any wear from the hook itself contacting the soundhole. I thought it looked better than the other alternatives to the traditional strap too. Link

Top Bottom