Got rid of another one.

Rllink

Reaction score
For a while a year or more ago I was winning Waterman ukuleles every time I turned around. Anyway, I really don't like them, so I have been giving them away. Funny thing is that the people I give them to keep giving them back, so I have to give them away again. But I brought the last one I have left down here to Puerto Rico and gave it to my next door neighbor kid. He is maybe six or seven, so I think that he will keep it. I've taken to telling people that I've given the others to that they need to pass them on if they don't want them, so at the moment I am Waterman free.

Ha ha, that reminds me of that joke,
I left my uke on the seat of my car and went shopping. When i returned, there were 2 more ukes there.

I don't like Watermans either. I had two bags of ukes in my possession for teaching, one was full of Watermans, the other full of Bugs Gears. I got rid of the Watermans. I wish Kala would stop giving them to us.

You're spreading the love Rolli, even if it is "Tainted Love"

Now I am feeling guilty about giving a Waterman to my nephew.

Is there actually a "Ukulele Purging Syndrome" that is the opposite of UAS? :)

I don't know why it is, but I get nervous if I have too many ukuleles laying around, especially if I don't even like some of them. I don't put anyone down for feeding their UAS and I enjoy reading about it. But my New Year's goal was to get rid of all the Watermans.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad.....I gave my Waterman to a teenage girl and she loves it. Better to have it played & loved than to sit idle in your house. Just think of how sad the Waterman must feel as it sees other ukes picked up & played everyday while it sits in a corner.:(

I don't think it is bad to give someone a Waterman. I gave the first one to my neighbor girl because she said that she wanted to play the ukulele. About six months later her dad gave it back to me because she wasn't playing it. Then I gave it to my sister-in-law because she wanted to learn how to play the ukulele, she never touched it. Her daughter messed with it a little, took it over to her Grandma's house, and a few months later Grandma, my mother-in-law, brought it over to my house while she was out for a walk because my niece told her it was mine. So that one was hard to give away.

But I don't always think it is the Waterman. A lot of people say that they want to play the ukulele, but they don't learn how once they get one. I can count off the top of my head a half dozen people who went out and bought ukuleles and lost interest in a week. In fact, I don't know but one other person who bought a ukulele and actually learned to play it.

Last edited:
Good call on it being the casual uncommited person and not the Waterman itself. I have experienced the same thing with others "saying" they want to learn to play. I lend them a uke, give them some lessons and resources than......nada, nothing, zippo. Learning to play an instrument even the "easy ukulele" takes patience, determination and persistence. Something sorely lacking in this day and age of instant gratification

I do have a positive tale to tell. I gave my starter uke to my manager at work. She also bought a tenor from me that I wasn't using & gave it to her husband for Christmas. Some of their kids are very musically talented, and they wanted to join in. Her husband in particular had tried to learn guitar and had become frustrated with it and quit. They both have been diligent about learning to play, and are enjoying learning something new together. The husband has started learning finger style already. Seems his dad was a "closet" ukulele player, and has a baritone that he hasn't played in awhile. Now they are going over to the husband's dad's house to jam with him. I told my manager that the ukuleles could become a "gateway drug," and yesterday at work she informed me that her hubby had just ordered a baritone. Ukulele Love.....bringing families together!

As for the Waterman. It and a few other ukes came along on a river rafting trip last summer with three teenage girls. Jam sessions in camp every night! I can't say for sure whether the Waterman is still being played regularly, but it will definitely come along on future river trips for jamming.

I bought a clear Waterman when they first came out. I am disappointed with its playability but it is not terrible. I don’t use it much but I will keep it for those times when waterproof Ukes are necessary. I know there are more playable options out there but I have the Waterman already and I don’t need it very often.

There is, it's called Waterman Purging syndrome.

I've never given anyone a Waterman, and I don't plan to, but I have given away 2 Makala Dolphins. The recipients were tickled pink.
I loaned another Dolphin, and never saw it again. I guess she liked it.

Now I am feeling left out. Kala never gave me a Waterman. I have yet to even see one in person.

Now I am feeling left out. Kala never gave me a Waterman. I have yet to even see one in person.

Not this last year so much, 2017, but the year before every ukuele festival I went to had a pile of them and raffled them off with their bigger prizes. We won two or three at different festivals. Then I won one in an online drawing with Ukulele Magazine I think, when they first came out. And then a music store that I went to was giving them away to the first fifty customers through the door on black Friday 2016. Between my wife and I we ended up with five of them.

I was given a Waterman by a friend as a gift. The intonation is sharp +25 cents all the way from the 1st fret and as such is completely unplayable unless I put in earplugs.

I cannot re-gift it in good conscience nor give it back (dont want to offend the giver).

Maybe I will put some LED lights in it and a small AA-battery analog clock face in the sound hole and let it be a literal 'wall hanger' but with a useful function...but I need to source the parts...

I was given a Waterman...

Maybe I will put some LED lights in it and a small AA-battery analog clock face in the sound hole and let it be a literal 'wall hanger' but with a useful function...but I need to source the parts...

Now that is a good idea, a uke clock, but I'd use a full sized clock face, that way it would look more like a reso uke. ;)

Ukulele Bartt once filled one up with chocolate pudding to see if it would still play. That's the best sound I've ever heard come out of one.

Top Bottom