Recessing a headblock with pen trimmer for neck bolt

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
I thought this might be of interest to people

A couple of years back I showed how to make one of these cutters out of one of the same type bolts...with a hacksaw and file.

A couple of years back I showed how to make one of these cutters out of one of the same type bolts...with a hacksaw and file.

and I remember it well. I did as you suggested and it worked great. Probably cost pennies.
P1000820.jpgP1000821.jpg

Last edited:
This is great.

I usually drill the hole and countersink before attaching the block to the sides, but I might start doing it this way as aligning the body bolt hole to the neck (or in this case it would be the neck bolt hole to the body) would be a lot easier.

This is great.

I usually drill the hole and countersink before attaching the block to the sides, but I might start doing it this way as aligning the body bolt hole to the neck (or in this case it would be the neck bolt hole to the body) would be a lot easier.

I've only ever done it this way- things more a touch, or you glue the pre drilled block off center and suddenly the hole isn't centered etc.

I set the neck pretty much 100%, then measure the center of the mortise (x and Y) and drill a 1/4" hole.
Then i stick a brad point drill bit in that hole and place the neck where it will be and push the drill bit into the necks tenon where it makes a small hole.

Then I do this
https://www.facebook.com/BeauHannam...s/vb.100002361680367/1335561529865890/?type=3

Here is a second vid

Last edited:
Top Bottom