bridge fatigue

valde002

Reaction score
Does anyone know if bridge fatigue is common, from the stress of the string tension? I have a bridge that looks like the wood has lines (not necessarily cracked) and not sure if it is from the constant pull of the thin strings? Humidity was recently low, but only briefly, and I thought humidity problems showed up on the body.

2018-01-23 17.22.00.jpg

2018-01-23 17.23.40.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know that much about wood, but to me it looks like it's gonna give out, eventually. I've never seen anything like that get better.
Maybe one of the luthiers here has an answer.

I don't know that much about wood, but to me it looks like it's gonna give out, eventually. I've never seen anything like that get better.
Maybe one of the luthiers here has an answer.

Its a Koaloha concert. About 1 year old. I have another Koaloha tenor with the same kind of thing, only that one spans 3 out of the 4 string holes.

I would get in touch with Koaloha and also send them those pics. See what they have to say. Their customer service is usually top notch and they stand behind their products.

Thanks Nickie and Jer. I just sent them an email. These are high-end ukes; am surprised with such problems...

Is it still under warranty?

KoAloha has their better than weather warranty, which is the best in the business, so I would be extremely surprised if it wasn't covered. As others said, contact them. They are extremely helpful and will take care of you.

KoAloha will take care of this, no matter what. It doesn't look so bad to me, but if you're concerned, send these photos to them. Theirs will be the best advice.

It just looks like the natural grain in the timber to me :D

This was my thought as well. It looks like the natural grain is opening up. I'd oil it with fretboard oil and make sure that it is properly humidified to see if that grain would close again.

This was my thought as well. It looks like the natural grain is opening up. I'd oil it with fretboard oil and make sure that it is properly humidified to see if that grain would close again.

I contacted Koaloha and the rep said that it might be the wood grain; to fit a piece of paper in it to see if it was separation vs grain. I could not fit a piece of paper into it, so I will assume that it is indeed grain. I also detuned the uke to ensure less tension on the bridge. Will try the fredboard oil- you think that it will close up?

I trust Koaloha so will just keep an eye on it. At least with the photo I took, can compare if it seems to get bigger in the future.

Thanks all for your replies!

I contacted Koaloha and the rep said that it might be the wood grain; to fit a piece of paper in it to see if it was separation vs grain. I could not fit a piece of paper into it, so I will assume that it is indeed grain. I also detuned the uke to ensure less tension on the bridge. Will try the fredboard oil- you think that it will close up?

I trust Koaloha so will just keep an eye on it. At least with the photo I took, can compare if it seems to get bigger in the future.

Thanks all for your replies!

It looks just like what I have on the saddle of my Lanikai except mine is on the top/face of the saddle rather than the edge with holes. Will putting fretboard oil and making sure it's properly humidified close up the grain? I can't really say but both treatments combined will certainly do no harm and if dryness is the cause of the grain opening up then maybe it will help.

The bridge on my new Ohana soprano looks much the same, in the same places. I just assumed it was the grain.

to be honest, oil won't "close" any grains, nor is it likely humidity even caused it.

I have noticed a similar happening on my guitalele... luckily it's not high-end like your ukulele, so if it gives out... it's an excuse for a new instrument :)

Top Bottom