Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NUBD: Violin Ubass...

Default NUBD: Violin Ubass...

Well, Hadean finally had some Violin body Ubasses in stock and I couldn't resist. Haven't tuned or played it yet, but looks really nice! There is something rattling around inside, haven't tried to look in there yet.

UVBass.jpg
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

I would like to think I that I inspired Rondo to add that bass to their lineup because about 2 years ago, I had a Hadean solid body modified with a violin style solid body and sent this photo to Kurt, but I really believe that the Chinese manufacturer added their own and Rondo just chose it on their own. If I didn't have mine made, I know I would have bought one of these. (I posted this recently on another thread, was that yours too?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini bass electric guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    Last edited by kohanmike; 01-25-2018 at 08:30 PM.

I opened the back plate and there's a 9 volt battery loose, rattling around in there! It's attached to wires but, not tied down. There is a twist tie and a piece of foam, I wonder if the battery was supposed to be in the foam and tied to the wires? Also I have the three knobs for the pre-amp, but have no idea what they're for. Probably bass treble and volume? It all works, doesn't sound too bad depending on where the knobs are set. Over all, it looks nice, the loose battery and sound aren't that impressive.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G

@UkerDanno - congrats! did you get that from Rondo?

@Mike - I agree and I too think that you inspired Rondo to get interested in this shape and start carrying them.

I like the shape, but would rather not have folks compare me or ask me about Sir Paul McCartney as one of the most famous players of an original Hofner Violin Bass, even though The Beatles are one of my all-time favorite bands.

Limiting hubris is something I am very aware of, and I am nowhere near a good enough bass player to put myself in the same camp as Paul.

I am happy with both the sunburst version of this bass uke, and the acoustic version that I got from Rondo, and they serve me well for songwriting and recording at home.
    This ═╣FAQ link╠═ will help you learn about many things.
    You should click it, as the answers are waiting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    Also I have the three knobs for the pre-amp, but have no idea what they're for. Probably bass treble and volume? It all works, doesn't sound too bad depending on where the knobs are set. Over all, it looks nice, the loose battery and sound aren't that impressive.
    The front knob is volume, the middle is treble, the back is bass. I leave the two tone knobs on zero. You might want to consider changing the strings to Gold Tone flat wound steel, which Paul used on his Hofner bass, or a set of Pahoehoe.

https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldt...cessories/mbls

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini bass electric guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
    Last edited by kohanmike; 01-25-2018 at 08:30 PM.

The pickup fades in and out on the E string, the strings aren't centered on the fretboard, I can push it over, but it likes to move back over. The tail piece needs to be moved over about 1/16", which would be difficult to do. Mike, have you changed out the pick up on any of your Hadeans? I kind of figured it would need some tweeking, but I'm not good at this type of thing. I can do it, but sometimes my craftsmanship isn't up to par with my expectations. ;-D

It's probably worth keeping for a little over $200, it's pretty cool looking!
    Just Play

Mike, have you changed out the pick up on any of your Hadeans?:
    Yes, I bought a few from Rondo and changed two so far, made a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I would like to think I that I inspired Rondo to add that bass to their lineup because about 2 years ago, I had a Hadean solid body modified with a violin style solid body and sent this photo to Kurt, but I really believe that the Chinese manufacturer added their own and Rondo just chose it on their own. If I didn't have mine made, I know I would have bought one of these. (I posted this recently on another thread, was that yours too?)

Is that a hollow body?
    Just Play

Is that a hollow body?
    No, as I mentioned; "...Hadean solid body modified with a violin style solid body..."

Last edited by kohanmike; 01-26-2018 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    No, as I mentioned; "...Hadean solid body modified with a violin style solid body..."
    what...you think I read every word?!?!?!
    Just Play

Thread Information