DO I need an upgraded humidifier?

shroomshade

Reaction score
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum for this inquiry.

I am considering purchasing a Koaloha Opio Super Soprano from The Ukulele Site. it comes with a Herco humidifier, with the option to upgrade to an Oasis 18 or Oasis 5+. I live in the southeast US on the coast. It is pretty humid here in general. This would be my first all-wood uke, so a few questions:

1. Will I likely need a humidifier at all? Even though it is humid, I do use the heater sporadically in the winter, and the air conditioner extensively in the summer.

2. If I do need to humidity the instrument, would I need to do it year round, or seasonally?

3. Should I upgrade my humidifier, or would the Herco be sufficient? Any harm in just getting the Oasis 18 anyway?

4. If I humidity the instrument when not needed, would I damage it extensively?

5. Finally, what are the odds that I could need to dehumidify the instrument?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I use Boveda two-way humidifier packs, two for each concert or tenor hard case, 49%. They can be used year-round and will remove/add humidity as needed. I have an Oasis 18 ukulele humidifier but stopped using it after trying the Boveda starter kit. Boveda keeps more constant humidity and doesn't require refilling. I keep an Oasis hygrometer 2C (can be calibrated) in each case. Amazon sells the starter kits and refill packs. I'll post a link when I'm back at my computer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B6AOITQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1516855521&sr=8-1&keywords=boveda+guitar+humidifier&dpPl=1&dpID=41jQUCkWFfL&ref=plSrch

The Herco will be fine for shipping, but I'd get the Oasis just to try it. It's a better humidifier.

HTH :)

Last edited:
Similar climate, except I am near the Ohio River instead of the coast.

I bought my Opio from them in 2014 and did the upgrade to the Oasis. Have never regretted it. I do put a wipe cloth between the neck and the "fur" of the hard case. Mine is the blue Oasis 18. I have since refilled with gardening gel stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom