Ukulele Related News from NAMM 2018

I second that. Since we can’t go, we are glad some can and appreciate all reports. Photos and videos are especially nice.

I third the thank you big time Eddie. All of us appreciate the effort you put into fuelling our UAS fires. Ohhhhh Awwwww:drool:

I third the thank you big time Eddie. All of us appreciate the effort you put into fuelling our UAS fires. Ohhhhh Awwwww:drool:

OK I forth that....Eddie was great. He emailed me while he was waiting for Corey to perform. I will use this 007 again. Highly recommended. ;)

Rainer was great too. He was watching it from UkeRepublic instantgram sitting in Zurich . Thank you Rainer!!! You will be rewarded by downupdave and I will hand carry it to you in April.

Is this different from the all-laminate mahogany KoAlana line that they've been producing for some years? I've been very tempted by the KoAlanas, and would have gotten one some time ago except that they have standard-width nuts. Nevertheless, the KoAlanas are reputed to have the big KoAloha sound, so I may break down one day—the curse of curiosity.

I feel the same, Ubulele. The KoAlana laminates (there was a KoAlana sapele that preceded the Opio sapele) have been on the website over the last year, but no one has sold them. Perhaps they are finally “back” following KoAloha’s move?

I feel the same, Ubulele. The KoAlana laminates (there was a KoAlana sapele that preceded the Opio sapele) have been on the website over the last year, but no one has sold them. Perhaps they are finally “back” following KoAloha’s move?

I think this is the answer, but honestly am not 100% sure. Alan did tell me the move of the Hawaii factor was a bear --- all consuming as they usually are --- but they seem to be getting back into the swing.

Thanks for the behind the scenes views. The new back on the Clara looks interesting. My wish is for a soprano ekoa from Blackbird.

I had been longing for the Ohana Nunes version in the Sopranissimo size...and then Ohana posted this photo of the upcoming pineapple sopranissimo that is coming (the one on the right that even has the pineapple headstock), and my heart shifted allegiance. That will be an immediate purchase when Mim receives her first shipment.

2EE8E1F9-2666-438F-B18F-99CA6F7B337E.jpg

Great show but very tiring. My feet are killing me. Bumped into many interesting people, old friends, and artists.
Bumped into Andrew Molina and Kalei Gamiao strolling the aisles during their down time.
IMG_1058.jpg

Herb Ohta Jr at the Kamaka booth
IMG_1062.jpg

The wonderful and cheery Cynthia Lin holding her signature model at the Ohana booth
IMG_1071.jpg

Herb looks stoked, as always.

Here is Joe Luttwak from Blackbird
IMG_1074.jpg

A shot of the Clara and Farallon
IMG_1075.jpg

Yes, there are luthiers at the show but not many. Here is Mike DaSilva, a buiilder from Berekeley, CA. He share the Takumi booth. He builds wonderful, lively, light as a feather ukuleles
IMG_1106.jpg

Here is Daniel Ho and Pepe Romero Sr.
IMG_1116.jpg

Pepe Romero in the background and Daniel in the foreground
IMG_1065.jpg

Here is Gerald Ross playing the guitar at the Farida booth. Gerald is my favorite musician. He plays ukulele, guitar, and lap steel guitar each proficiently. I love his Youtube videos. I had the pleasure of speaking with him after his performance and found him to be a very humble gentleman.
IMG_1054.jpg

Thanks for adding your pictures to the thread, Luke. Good to see so many members of the ukulele family represented.

Thank you Rainer!!! You will be rewarded by downupdave and I will hand carry it to you in April.

Aw, you guys...! :eek:

Looking forward to meeting you soon, Brenda!

I have to admit that I'm always pretty excited to be watching the news from NAMM dropping in, so I do a lot of research from afar. I'll keep posting what I find.

Last edited:
One thing I notice going through the specs of newly announced models is that due to the new CITES restrictions, companies are replacing Rosewood fretboards with either Walnut (e.g. Luna, Kala) or Ebony (Pono, Kanilea), and that we see more - laminated - Ebony being used for ukulele bodies (e.g. Cordoba's new 21 series, Kala's newest Addition to their U-Bass line).

A short clip of Abe Lagrimas at the Ohana booth. He is an incredible player.

The bongo like percussion instrument and the shaker are made by Ohana.

Hey Luke or Eddie, Mike or Mim, if you get a chance, I would love to see some more pictures of the KoAloha Opio Guitalele and the Ohana Tenor Guitar.

This "annual" NAMM thread always makes me lose my mind and part of my bank account:music:

I am impressed with the amount of new products still being introduced especially Ohana. I love the idea of a tenor scale on a baritone body, a super super tenor. I don't own any Ohana products but that will change. The so called ukulele fad is anything but, we keep growing in popularity.

Hey Luke or Eddie, Mike or Mim, if you get a chance, I would love to see some more pictures of the KoAloha Opio Guitalele and the Ohana Tenor Guitar.

I don't plan to go back to the show, but I did look at both the Ohana Tenor Guitar and the earlier-in-the-thread mentioned baritone body/tenor scale uke ("Stubby Baritone", "Big Bodied Tenor", "Short Neck Baritone"). Sorry I didn't take pics. Both were interesting.

Top Bottom