Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recording to improve playing???

Default Recording to improve playing???

I've realized that I have no idea what my playing sounds like, short of hitting all the right notes.

Does anyone record themselves so they can critique their playing?
    If so, what kind of recorder do you use? (please don't say 'phone', mine is old and crappy and doesn't have that feature)

thanks!

This is a super great idea that will teach you much (more than you might like!).

You can get a little Zoom recorder for $75~ and up. I have one of their mics for my iPod, but the all-in-one units are basically the same.

A little cheaper would be a USB mic for your computer, but then you have to learn to use a recording program and set it all up. The standalone recorder route is much easier if you don't plan on creating a whole production down the road.
    Brad Bordessa
    Webmaster of Live 'Ukulele.com
    Admin for The Ukulele Way
    Author of 'Ukulele Chord Shapes

My answers to some FAQs: How to figure out a song - High-g/Low-G - What uke should I get? - Pickups

I've just started. I purchased the new Zoom H1n. You can record to a micro sd card or directly to a computer with a USB cable. If using the cable, it is also powered via the cable. Has lots more features that I doubt I'll ever use. Sound quality seems very good (as good as the USB mics for the same or more $$). So you get a USB mic and a portable recorder for the same or less money.

Thank you! You both mention the Zoom, so I'll look into that brand.

I'll never be creating a whole production setup, just want the easiest way to hear my playing so I can improve it

Quote Originally Posted by TobyDog View Post
    I've realized that I have no idea what my playing sounds like, short of hitting all the right notes.

Does anyone record themselves so they can critique their playing?
    If so, what kind of recorder do you use? (please don't say 'phone', mine is old and crappy and doesn't have that feature)

thanks!
    When I first started in 'The Seasons', I just used a digital camera to record myself, but it was a bit of a hassle to keep removing the SD card & plugging it into my computer, so that I could upload it. So, I bought a Samson Meteor USB mic, plug it into the computer, & record that way. (Audacity is a free recording program).

I've been tempted with other kit, but haven't succumbed, yet.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

Forgot to mention that I'm using Audacity too, as Keith mentioned. Easy to use the basic features and you can't beat free.

I use my cell phone to record with. Although not great quality it is quick and easy and provide good feedback.

For the purposes of practice, I use the built-in microphone on my laptop and Audacity (or similar). Whilst the results may not be of "distributable" quality (and in mono) they're perfectly good enough to be able to judge pitch and timing ... obviously if you don't have a laptop YMMV
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Quote Originally Posted by kypfer View Post
    For the purposes of practice, I use the built-in microphone on my laptop and Audacity (or similar). Whilst the results may not be of "distributable" quality (and in mono) they're perfectly good enough to be able to judge pitch and timing ... obviously if you don't have a laptop YMMV
    I've got a laptop, I've just never used the microphone - have to figure it out :-)
    Thanks for the tip!

Yippee - have a free way to hear myself play. 'Sound Recorder' will do for a while.

Thank you Kypfer!
    Last edited by TobyDog; 01-26-2018 at 03:55 PM.

Sometimes it is just better not to know what you sound like.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1978485476...rds=R.+L.+Link

Thread Information