Question about Kamaka Concerts...

UkeStuff

Reaction score
One of my long term goals is to buy a Kamaka, and I have been preferring Concerts as of late. Does anyone know why Kamaka’s Concert models have a different headstock than all the other models? I think someone called it a “Gumby” headstock not too long ago.

Owning a Kamaka concert is a good goal to have. I have owned Koalaha both the 00 and the Opio, great instruments. I have a Kamaka super concert I bought used and it is light, well balanced, plays and sound greats. I am sorry I don't know why they have the "Gumby" headstock but it is very distinctive and I really like the look. I will interested to see if someone know rhe answer, never thought to ask the question but I am glad you did.

This question has been discussed here before (link). The late great Music Guy Mic himself answered that "Kamaka decided to shape only their concert headstocks after the shape of ancient polynesians sails". Apparently, Fred Kamaka told him that in the 70s, when only Kamaka was producing concerts, they wanted to distinguish their model. They only use that headstock on concerts now, but have made some tenors with this shape in the past.

Top Bottom