Hi All...New Player here

dxn2

Reaction score
Hi everyone. New to the Ukulele. I bought a starter pack and a basic book to leave around the house hoping the kids would show some interest (in something that doesn't have a screen). I've had a decent Acoustic Guitar for about 6 years..Never really got it to make anything that sounds like music.

I decided to open the book and fiddle around a bit. Wouldn't you know that in about half an hour I was making something that almost sounded like music.

I am now looking to sell the guitar and jump "all in" on the Ukulele. I can see from looking at videos that is a very complex instrument and by no means easy. I can only say that from my small amount of time with it that it makes more sense to me than the guitar does.

I should also add I am a late starter at 52.

I look forward to participating with you all in this forum and learning from all the hard work you all have already put in.

Enjoy......

Hi and welcome to the Underground! Coming from some guitar picking as well, to me, the ukulele was much easier to learn: shorter, lighter, not as many strings to worry about, but still the same chord shapes as on a guitar, and above all: such a joyous, full sound with so many musical possibilites. Right now, I'm working my way back to six strings and I found that I improved a lot thanks to my ukulele practice. Have fun with your journey!

Welcome to UU! The uke is a friendly little thing! Makes me smile!

Welcome aboard. :)

I only started a couple of years ago, it's a great instrument that allowed me to finally lean to play music at the age of 65+, so you've got plenty of time. ;)

Welcome to the forums!! NEVER too late to start! I'm 52 myself, though have been playing stringed instruments for almost 40 years now. I've started on guitar, however I can see where a new player might like the ukulele better - it's not like one has their arms wrapped around a tree trunk :) The ukulele can be much more ergonomic.

I started at 55. Always wanted to make music with lots of starts and stops. Love it because you can sing at the same time and play with others. Look for a local ukulele club. They are friendly and it’s just plain fun to jam. Don’t get caught up in having to be perfect. Just strum along and pretty soon you’ll be pretty dang good.

I started ukulele at 58, so you youngsters have more
time to pick it up than I did! Seriously, you will love it
the more you 'get into it'. Enjoy!

Welcome, I started at the age of 56 so it is never too late. As Martinlover said find a uke jam/uke club to participate in. I did from the very beginning and it helped tremendously and is sooo much fun.

There are soprano, concert and tenor as the most popular sizes, high G and low G. If you like the deep resonant bass notes from your guitar then a tenor strung low G would make you happy. If you stick with it there is a good chance you will eventually have all the sizes. They are as collectable as Beanie Babies

Top Bottom