Season 311 - Kisses

Here's one from the the prolific pen of Dolly Parton, and was released as a Parton and Porter Wagoner duet in the early 70's. I find this to be a rather poignant song. This was my legit first take.

Greetings,

So now I am confused as to who wrote the song Passionate Kisses that I recorded. One search said Lucinda Williams, the other had it as Mary Chaplin Carpenter. oh well, it’s on my Mary CD so I used her chording.

:)

i believe lucinda wrote it and it was on an earlier album by her, but mary's cover was a huge hit and really got lucinda williams noticed as a songwriter and the success of that cover opened up doors for her in the music business, so all power to the both of them, it's a wonderful song whichever way you shake it up!

Here's another version of "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine." This is the one I remember hearing when I was a kid. The uke is tuned to open D minor. If you want to know why I played it this way, check out Rodgers' live performance of it at the link below. I couldn't figure out how to play a major V chord if I barred it with my thumb, so I barred it the conventional way. The inside muscle on my left arm is really sore from practicing this song yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNivTEdgT7Y

SOTU 311 - KISSSES - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me (Baritone Ukulele Cover) ddanner

I was sure this one would be covered, and just checked the playlist and thought that Wim had already done it. I see however, that there is some "killing" to go along with the "kissing" in the song he chose.

Harry Noble's song, "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me," doesn't have any lyrics related to killing, but it certainly references kisses a multitude of times.

Mel Carter's 1965 cover of this song was one of a small number of songs that Evelyn and I considered "Our Song." We started dating that summer, and it is a song we both remember well.

I hope you enjoy my attempt:

As was noted on day 1 by Pa, this theme is just ripe with songs celebrating some questionably acts here in the era of #metoo. Always got to steal my kisses from you? Might as well be "always got to sexually assault you"

My choice for this week begins with the lyric "I remember waiting for the school bus"... not to get on it, but to pick up your girlfriend! How Roy Moore creepy... Methinks Kid Rock will have better luck in his run for the US Senate than Judge Moore did.

Just because we need some KISS in the season, here is my take on I was made for loving you (which I guess might also involve kissing ;)).

i believe lucinda wrote it and it was on an earlier album by her, but mary's cover was a huge hit and really got lucinda williams noticed as a songwriter and the success of that cover opened up doors for her in the music business, so all power to the both of them, it's a wonderful song whichever way you shake it up!

There you go, Jim. Told you there'd be a third, and you'd say "did LW write that ?" She surely did :)

This is "A Blind Step Away", a minimalist Richard Thompson song about a game of blind man's bluff, from the first French Frith Kaiser Thompson album.

You know, I started out thinking this theme was limiting, or at least I found it that way for me. But you guys are killing it with your choices.

I wanted to try and do this one standing up, so that I could include an overly long neck tie, but I couldn’t get the uke comfortable so you’ll have to just imagine. Hard to believe that this was released in 1988 (from They Might Be Giants, Lincoln).

Obviously no pressure Matt, but if you find something you want to play please share! There’s always room for one more.

311-2

My wife was watching Sleepless In Seattle and this song was in the beginning of the movie. I heard the work Kiss in it and knew my song number two for this season.

You know, I started out thinking this theme was limiting, or at least I found it that way for me. But you guys are killing it with your choices.
this week has been a classic example, for me, of how my seasons brain operates, and how the seasons work for me! when i read the theme i had a song pop straight into my head, i tried to resist it but couldn't! lol! so that was my first song. then i went a-looking online for other songs that fit the theme, and found an absolute gem, a new-to-me song by a singer i love, so that was a delight to do! that was my two songs done, but the theme keeps working on your brain throughout the week regardless, and i had an idea for a homemade song develop, and did it just for kicks, as i'd already done my two for the week. i think the brain work/research side of the seasons is great, and like rex said, sometimes as well you just happen to hear a song and think OH gosh that fits the theme! it's great! i also get my parents and a pal of mine who is really into music, she's an expert on punk rock but also knows a whole bunch of other stuff too, in on the act, they come up with great song ideas!

Here's a cover of a Charlie Pride hit. I added an plugged-in uke and a piano.

Greetings,

I just heard the most beautiful cover of Last Kiss by Pearl Jam on the radio, so tomorrow I will try to lay it down. I think many artists covered this one before but the vocals on the Pearl Jam version are fab. Worth a listen.

:)

using top four strings of my Guitarlele tuned in E cause I hav'nt got a baratone

Top Bottom