I am a uke string geek!

omlove

Reaction score
Long time guitar player but recently really digging into my ukes. Tried a few different strings and being an enthusiast, would like to share here the findings with you. Perhaps folks can chime in and correct me on many things. Here we go my impression:

Martin M600 (fluorocarbon)
.0191 .0256 .0340 .0216 tension 30
bright and clear, typical fluorocarbon sounding. very strong. richer overtone than 4U

Aquila 4U/100U (polymer)
.62 .80 .95 .64 (aquila)
.60 .77 .92 .65 (aquila old)
3.7 3.2 3.0 3.4
or
.0244 .0315 .0374 .0252 tension 29.32
8.16 7.05 6.61 7.5

actual measurement
4U
.0242 .032 .0373 .0261

100U
.023 .030 .036 .025

4U: milky, opaque, distictive sound and different than nylon or fluorocarbon, minimum string noise
100U: slightly thinner than 4U, less opaque and milky but shinier. brighter and less muffled than 4U, closer to fluorocarbon

D'Addario EJ88S Nyltech (polymer)
.0236 .0303 .0362 .0256 tension 29.32
8.157 7.054 6.613 7.495
should be similar to 100U, if not the same. I read D'Addario actually manufactured 100U for Aquila.

EJ65S Custom Extruded Nylon (nylon)
.0240 .0320 .0340 .0280 tension 38.33 (D tuning)
10.40 9.65 7.50 10.78, on the way

EJ99SC Pro-Arte Carbon (fluorocarbon)
.0205 .0260 .0319 .0224 tension 29.29
7.90 7.13 6.77 7.49
warm, clear, less volume than M600, less direct in the face. not noticeably complex

La Bella 200 Uke-Pro (rectified carbon)
.022 .032 .036 .025, on the way

GHS H-10 (black nylon)
.025 .032 .036 .028
cheap $1.99, black, direct, loud, not much overtone, good separation btw strings, settles into pitch quickly, not very complicated sounding

H-20 (fluorocarbon)
.026 .033 .035 .0307
much much higher tension, so much so that have to tighten the tuner screw. much thicker than EJ99SC and M600
very long, one set could be used to string two ukes
bright and clear, typical fluorocarbon sounding, maybe model 20 is in a closer family to others tested

worth on the way. didn't fancy it because it's more than twice the price of the tried strings but now realize it's 46" long - one set is indeed two sets of a normal set so the price is justified.

tested on Martin S1.

--------

p.s. also measure my S1 from 2012 and Style 1 from the 50s

Martin S1 Uke

nut 35.7mm (1 13/32")
bridge spacing 41mm (1 39/64")

action 12th 6.5/64" (2.6mm)
string height at saddle 8mm

relief 0

half scale 173mm nut to 12th fret (6 13/16")
scale 346mm nut to front of bridge (13.614", 13 5/8")

Martin Style1 uke

nut 36mm (1 13/32")
bridge spacing 42.5mm (1 43/64")

--------

one complaint, I'm torn btw metric and imperial. Not to mention imperial has 64th and thousands - that's two systems within one. Damn!

Last edited:
This thread might interest you:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...worse-SCO&highlight=string+changing+obsession

Also, quite a few other members here are very experienced with strings, and for myself, with my one uke right now (Magic Fluke concert Flea), I am very happy with Martin M600 strings.

I've tried many other strings as well, but these Martin strings are easy to get everywhere, and have a more balanced tension and very crisp tone, both of which I prefer.

This thread might interest you:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...worse-SCO&highlight=string+changing+obsession

Also, quite a few other members here are very experienced with strings, and for myself, with my one uke right now (Magic Fluke concert Flea), I am very happy with Martin M600 strings.

I've tried many other strings as well, but these Martin strings are easy to get everywhere, and have a more balanced tension and very crisp tone, both of which I prefer.

Martin M600 is what comes with Martin ukes. I've been having them for year but never thought about change. Incidentally, after all this experiment, I still like it the best.

I've never really understood string discussions. Whilst gauges are, of course a matter of fact - the sound and feel you are noting is only the sound and feel YOU experience - your ears are different to mine, as are likely your musical tastes, your playing style and your ukuleles

For these reasons you very often get some people saying that 'this string sounds like [DESCRIPTON] and somebody else hearing the EXACT opposit - doesn't make either person incorrect - they are desribing accuately what they are experiencing - but hat you are experiencing is not necessarily what others would get - even on the same ukulele.

Yep, gotta agree with that, it's a personal thing - I've found that I like Living Water fluorocarbon concert low G strings on my ukes, both concert & tenor scales, just like the tone & the feel of them. :)

I do like people who geek out on measuring things. Thanks to this board I now have a caliper--and, of course, wish it were a better model.

While I agree with Barry that everyone hears and perceives things in their own way, I also find it useful to read other's opinions of various strings (and ukes, and....). The great thing about this forum is that you can read a number of opinions and often find a consensus.

I've never really understood string discussions. Whilst gauges are, of course a matter of fact - the sound and feel you are noting is only the sound and feel YOU experience - your ears are different to mine, as are likely your musical tastes, your playing style and your ukuleles

For these reasons you very often get some people saying that 'this string sounds like [DESCRIPTON] and somebody else hearing the EXACT opposit - doesn't make either person incorrect - they are desribing accuately what they are experiencing - but hat you are experiencing is not necessarily what others would get - even on the same ukulele.

Yikes! Barry, you certainly don't share my enthusiasm:) I agree with you on that different people have different tastes of sound and playing styles. I also read on your site that you don't do string reviews for that reason.

Therefore I'm not too interested in "liking" this string or not liking that brand. Rather I'm more interested in learning the differences and being educated by the many knowledgeable folks here. I do think certain aspects can be described. For instance Aquila Nylgut 4U has definitely less treble than typical Fluorocarbon. It's almost like the tone control on amp in middle position versus dimed. Also it has different texture than clear nylon. I remember a while ago testing "rectified" nylon strings for my classical guitar but did not like the rough surface of them - not smooth when changing positions and squeak. That's just an objective observation and certainly can be described.

I also found the Martin M600 is a very precise product. The diameter is consistent and matches their official numbers almost exactly. In the meanwhile Aquila not so much. That's also objective.

I do have this opinion that wood instruments can vary from sample to sample, even the same model from the same factory using the same method. Because woods are different. Factories usually do not voice tops and change dimensions for each instrument, but rather rely on well established formulas. Nothing wrong with that and it actually brings more variations to the world to cater to different tastes. When you review ukes, there's a sound section, I think it's not too much different from reviewing strings - and you give a score for that particular sample. I'm not trying to argue with you as I do like your reviews and learned a lot. I guess I don't agree with you on avoiding string reviews, that's all.

Compared to instruments, strings are far more consistent if they are the same model or very different if they are different material. That's another reason I'm interested in testing them. I am always eager to learn and yes I measure all my instruments with a caliper:)

Yikes! Barry, you certainly don't share my enthusiasm:) I agree with you on that different people have different tastes of sound and playing styles. I also read on your site that you don't do string reviews for that reason.

It's not that I don't like your enthusiasm - but with a site like mine I was getting flooded with emails asking me what is the 'best' string for them - I don't have the answer and in the end I just pulled the shutters down. But I still think what I like is irrelevant to them! Honestly - I was getting multiple emails on the topic PER DAY - and I still get lots.

Rather I'm more interested in learning the differences ...... That's just an objective observation and certainly can be described.

Totally agree - nothing wrong with that - I still do posts about strings for that reason - I just make sure they are not framed as reviews.

When you review ukes, there's a sound section, I think it's not too much different from reviewing strings - and you give a score for that particular sample.

Quite agree - and my reviews are just opinions - but they cover a lot more than just sound, and it would be impossible to do a review WITHOUT talking about sound. Yeah - imperfect though. If I ditched that I may as well ditch reviews altogether!

All in all though - yes there are difference, nothing wrong with talking about them and sorry if I sounded dismissive. String opinions still seem utterly pointless to me though. It's just strings innit - they all do the job and its not like it was 15 years ago where there were some real clunkers about. Most work very well these days!

Was a string freak until I found Southcoast strings. I like Dirks double wound linear sets and his fourth wound string reentrant sets. I also have a set of mixed classical guitar strings on my archtop baritone.

For those who ask me what strings and if I'll change them out for them; I usually keep a couple of sets of Oasis strings around for the laminates and newer ukes along with sets of Martin for vintage mahogany ukes. Not a fan of aquilas; I find them quiet and don't like the feel of them.

What, no lovin’ for Fremont Blacklines? I, personally, love trying different strings. Best $5 you can spend on your uke.

Some of my own thoughts about strings, based upon trying over 100 different sets, can be found if you click on the link to my FAQ in my signature below.

You see since my last post, only three posts back, I've seen posts for two brands that I am SURE are great for some people, but that I have tried and really did NOT like them at all.

Kind of crystallises my view on string opinions - the opinion is right if you are talking about your own opinion, but that is the ONLY opinion you can be sure of. Doesn't make me wrong to dislike them or you to like them though.

You see since my last post, only three posts back, I've seen posts for two brands that I am SURE are great for some people, but that I have tried and really did NOT like them at all.

Kind of crystallises my view on string opinions - the opinion is right if you are talking about your own opinion, but that is the ONLY opinion you can be sure of. Doesn't make me wrong to dislike them or you to like them though.

Barry, I totally got what you are saying. And thank you for your kind response earlier - I certainly meant no offense to you and enjoyed your reviews a lot.

I simply enjoy learning. And learning about strings is much cheaper than learning about ukes or guitars:) That's said, I certainly blame you for my itch to get a Kiwaya or a Timms...

I'm sure we all have drawers full of different strings Om; goin' thru what you are now. Then there are the different gauges that bring about a whole different sound. It'a fun journey.

Yep, I got that same itch for a couple of uke thru Baz's reviews myself.

Top Bottom