Outdoor v. Enya v. Fluke Tenors

I agree wholeheartedly with Booli. Was really considering a OU for rough and tumble use. And thought it was a plus that they are not far a way from me. But after Barry's issues........... A big NOPE.

Booli and Barry,

Just want to pass on appreciation to both of you for sharing your insights, skills and experience with us all.

Steve.

Thanks brother.

One big reason that I am a huge fan and advocate of, and own 6 different instruments made by The Magic Fluke Company is because of the PEOPLE, the owners Dale and Phyllis Webb.

I've not yet met them in person, but for how they run their business, and how they respond to their customers, is as important to me as the fact that they produce an excellent and consistent series of different instruments.

I've read tons about them online, and watched lots of videos about them, as well as spoken to a 100+ owners of Magic Fluke instruments, and nothing at all about Magic Fluke Company is evil, unprofessional, nor rude.

They also do things to help the environment.

Most folks are unaware, or simply do not care about these same things that I do, but for me, I like to put my money in the hands of people that are doing good things, and possibly even selfless things in this world.

Dale and Phyllis have proven that it is possible to offer a great product, at a good price, and be a successful company as well as both do right by their customers when an issue might arise, and also do their best to make the world a better place (their whole business operation is run on solar power, and they feed any excess back into the grid, thus easing the strain on the grid, even a little bit, every little bit helps).

I expect some folks will just roll their eyes at all this 'touchy-feely' sentiment, and say 'big deal', but to each their own. I do not judge. :)

To be fair, it isn’t the first time Barry has mentioned it, nor is it something that he has to keep quiet. I don’t know what Outdoor Ukulele actually did or said in “spamming” his videos or aggressive responses.

It would have been easy enough for them to ship one to the UK for Barry to review...

Maybe time can heal all wounds. I certainly wouldn’t not buy an Outdoor Ukulele because of the Got a Ukulele situation alone...some personalities just don’t mix, and perhaps Barry and the Outdoor Ukulele folks have similarity strong personalities. I very much enjoy Barry’s work and I look forward to a new post/video every weekend. But strong opinions are what make the reviews entertaining and useful.

As for Outdoor Ukulele, I’ve never had a bad experience with them and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them. I’m working on a set for our new school and they offer great pricing in bulk for a school. I’m very excited about the possibility not having to deal with wood necks, wood fretboards, and metal frets...not to mention a nearly perfect setup all the time.

I would also happily buy a Flea or Fluke (but I would want to buy the different tuners). Nothing against them...but the price is quite different between the products (even at full price).

I have mentioned it, but haven't allowed it to give me a clouded view of the new Outdoor tenors because I never actually played one. That would be wrong of me. I did play one of their first sopranos (but not long enough to review), and thought it was pretty horrible, but I understand that the tenors improved on that.

What I am clear on is that I don't like their business practices. Nothing to do with personalities - spamming is NEVER good practice.

Barry—your position is understandable, although “business practice” might not be the right overall category because much of their business model seems sound (use of crowd funding, order on demand, close to “just in time” inventory, education discounts, and a willingness to redesign their entire product based on customer feedback). It is more an issue of bad choices in a public forum. I’m wondering who was behind it, as it is a family run company—perhaps it was one person’s bad decision. Yes...part of the overall business, but something that seems out of the ordinary. And I don’t ever see anything from their side that is negative about Got a Ukulele.

On the positive side, at least they don’t market like the Amazon vendors (The “A” brand)—which is truly an issue of business practice.

And please note, I’m not saying you have done anything wrong—but it would be wrong for others to avoid the product simply because of that situation—as stated by another person in the thread.

And a final thought: support Flea Market Music, too!

Wow, did I ever ruffle some feathers. My statement came from the fact that if I had given responses/or lack of like OU I would not have a job or any customers.
"Business Practices" go a long way with me. Good business practices along with good customer service seems to be diminishing in our world today.
My sincere apologies if I may have offended anyone. It was just my opinion.

Cheers,

Steve.

Choirguy;2047665 And I don’t ever see anything from their side that is negative about Got a Ukulele. [/QUOTE said:
I didn't say they did, nor do I see what that has to do with it. I just stated my experience.

Wow, did I ever ruffle some feathers. My statement came from the fact that if I had given responses/or lack of like OU I would not have a job or any customers.
"Business Practices" go a long way with me. Good business practices along with good customer service seems to be diminishing in our world today.
My sincere apologies if I may have offended anyone. It was just my opinion.

Cheers,

Steve.

Opinions welcome...and no feathers ruffled...I just don’t think the situation in and of itself warrants avoiding the brand, particularly if they are local for you. Now...if you know other “business practices” that are negative on top of that, by all means, let us know. And hopefully other opinions are welcome, too!

Opinions welcome...let us know. And hopefully other opinions are welcome, too!

Yes, we are all friends here. \m/

None of this discussion appears to me to have any intent of malice, and only motivated to share our experiences. :)

Well...if they were continuing to comment on your videos, or bad mouthing Got a Ukulele, that would indicate something to me. Wouldn’t it to you?

What??? That’s purely hypothetical - they didn’t so what’s the point in speculating about something that didn’t happen? I merely said they spammed me. That’s it. Nothing else. Just that. Why are you trying to big it up into something bigger than it is?

The only times I mention the spamming is to explain why, in over 160 uke reviews I don’t have an outdoor on the list. That’s why.

Good grief...

Barry, I never understand why you get exasperated like this. I’m not even arguing with you! You are a person with strong opinions—which is why your work is so incredible—but at times the strong opinions turn into strong reactions! With this thread, another player said that they wouldn’t buy an Outdoor Ukulele any more because of how they interacted with you. I think it is fair to mention that they haven’t seemed to mention it again; I think it is fair to note that you have mentioned it several times.

Both are okay. Really. Or they should be.

You have a wonderful blog. I enjoy it very much. I have bought ukuleles based on your opinions. You’re influential—even to me. I do feel that you occasionally feel attacked when others express their opinions—and sometimes people are attacking. But I’m not attacking you...yet it seems that you think I am.

Sheesh - still not my point. There was nothing for them to 'mention again' because there was nothing mentioned in the first place. There was some spamming. I called them on it, the spamming stopped and I never heard from them again. That's it.

I mention it every time someone asks me why I don't have an Outdoor on the website - because that is the real answer. There is no other reason. If they sent me one, I would review it. i just very much doubt they will.

I'm not feeling attacked, but reading the thread back it seems like there was some sort of ongoing interaction between me and Outdoor - there wasn't and it's important I make that clear.

Well now I own and play all three.
The OU is very good, the neck is very nice, set up is great and it sounds very good.
But is on the quite side. It will never be a go to in a group strum along.
We just got a good jig bag and its going to be in the car 100% for long drives when my wife strums and I sing.

My Fluke is still my Number 1 uke.
The Enya(s) rarely gets played, not because of any issues, just other ukuleles I'd rather play.

Well now I own and play all three.
The OU is very good, the neck is very nice, set up is great and it sounds very good.
But is on the quite side. It will never be a go to in a group strum along.
We just got a good jig bag and its going to be in the car 100% for long drives when my wife strums and I sing.

My Fluke is still my Number 1 uke.
The Enya(s) rarely gets played, not because of any issues, just other ukuleles I'd rather play.

Thank you for this information.

I've got a Fluke, purchased it to strum out by the pool, on the patio, etc. Spends most of its time standing on its end next to my big comfy chair, conveniently located so I can pick it up at a moments notice and interrupt family TV time :D

But I've often thought of getting a Outdoor Ukulele and think maybe now I will continue to hold off on my purchase. While everyone seems to agree it is a quality instrument, and darn near bomb proof too, but I want people to hear how badly I play and don't like the idea of a quiet ukulele that can be drowned out by my off key singing.

Maybe someday I'll buy an OU. I keep looking at them. The desire is strong.

I want people to hear how badly I play and don't like the idea of a quiet ukulele that can be drowned out by my off key singing.

That is what some will call a "Win-Win" situation!

Ralph

While I like my Magic Fluke concert sized FLUKE its time to admit that I do NOT love it.

The neck profile, to my hand, is just thick and cumbersome compared to my other ukes. It has, what I call, a flattened "D" shape profile and its a rather bulky one at that. My other 3 ukes all have a much more (dare I say delicate) slender and rounded profile. Despite what appear to be "cheap" parts like the plastic fretboard and body, it is still a serious instrument and those "cheap" parts are actually quality plastics that hold up. It also sounds pretty darn good too. It took me some time to get used to the Grover Friction tuners but they work, not my favorites, but I find no functional flaw. My one real complaint is the fat neck profile. I wish Magic Fluke made a neck profile that was a bit more slender. It just feels awkward every time I pick it up, and since it sits next to my favorite chair I tend to pick it up frequently.

The neck shape is probably the one reason why I might sell off the Magic Fluke and buy an OUTDOOR as a replacement.

Some people profile the neck themselves to their liking and others have a luthier do the job.
I've got largish hands a love the neck.

Some people profile the neck themselves to their liking and others have a luthier do the job.
I've got largish hands a love the neck.

Yes, it is possible to thin the neck or change the shape. Lots of wood there to work with.

Top Bottom