NUD Wunderkammer Ike Soprano.

Uk3player78

Reaction score
Long time coming. 7 months but it’s here as of Thursday past. If you are not familiar with Liam’s work his instruments are all hand tooled in Bristol UK. I am the buyer of mahogany sopranos and my search has ended... for now. UAS is never far away is it?

Anyhoo. The build, intonation and sound are above par. It’s nice to have a loud ukulele but they can be a one trick pony and imo a bit of a boom box. This Wunderkammer has a refined tone, insane dynamics, volume without boom and soprano bark aplenty. It truly is new vintage. If you ever get one, have a look at the neck block. :) A different design. The weight is 324 grammes. My Martin S1 and Timms was 367 grammes. This may vary? I don’t feel the need to mention fret ends or glue spots. Liam knows what he is doing.

My ex ‘grail’ ukulele was the Timms. It has the Roy Smeck tone if required. The Wunderkammer imo has the more refined tone and a suitable slant that gives the opportunity to add classical to your repertoire. To me, it’s the perfect mahogany soprano. A definite keeper. Just ask Sam Muir!

99203D85-A898-4D15-BB5B-8124D605FD90.jpg
BDF2BEC7-5CC3-4B19-8A7A-FF44E2EAAADC.jpg
87F97956-7EEC-413A-8C75-566E12B3569A.jpgD8A6BD35-1B25-4898-970D-C2CD214FEB1F.jpg

Attachments

• 8AF3FFF2-155A-432D-B2C9-9F1043DF59A3.jpg
    8AF3FFF2-155A-432D-B2C9-9F1043DF59A3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Gorgeous addition! :)

I have a custom Ike myself (Liam was nice enough to keep record of the building process: http://ukulelezeit.de/die-entstehung-meiner-wunderkammer-ukulele/) and I probably love it more than any of the other ukes I own! It is my go-to uke for travelling and is the only one I keep "on display" in my living room since it is way to gorgeous to keep in a case.

"New vintage" truly describes well what Liam does.

I am so looking forward to meeting him at MUMF in Wales in May. Next stop: a Wunderkammer taropatch (I think :cool: )

Stunning! Sounds great. What strings are you using on it?

Last edited:
Stunning! Sounds great. What strings are you using on it?

I requested Martin M600’s. May try worth browns at a later date.

Ludwig, you have a James Blunt tone to your voice. A compliment. His new album is quite good. Not my usual taste but I had a listen on Spotify.

I requested Martin M600’s. May try worth browns at a later date.

Of course, there are SO many available that you could drive yourself crazy trying different strings. That said, Living Waters might be nice too.

Wunderbar!
Congrats on acquiring such a fine instrument.
:drool:
Nice demo.

FWIW - I think Wunderkammers are outstanding!

Cool ukes, but I don't get the extended fingerboard, but no frets there :confused: Why bother?
I was wondering the same thing. I'm sure they can be made without that, though.

I know that Samantha Muir has one like that and had a second one built with additional frets.

Last edited:
I personally love the extended fretboard with no frets.. I love a nice 12 fret and like how it’s not the normal.. both videos were great.. looking forward to getting mine.

I personally love the extended fretboard with no frets.. I love a nice 12 fret and like how it’s not the normal.. both videos were great.. looking forward to getting mine.
I'm not saying I don't like it, just wondering about the reasoning. I'd like the extra space for picking. But if Sam likes it, that's a ringing endorsement.

I'm not saying I don't like it, just wondering about the reasoning.

Liam told me that he finds it kind of weird if the fretboard ended before the sound hole and, let‘s face it: why would anyone ever need more than 12 frets on a soprano? ;)

I like the extended fretboard. It makes it instantly recognisable like a trademark. I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Awesome ukes! I love the extended fingerboard. I think that it looks fantastic without the frets.

I am seriously thinking about getting on Liam's waiting list. Now his wait list is over one year long and his prices have gone up, but still very much worth it!

Doc

Last edited:
Very cool uke!

Yep, one of Liam's Ikes is on my soprano "to get list".

The clips I have heard sound terrific. I love the simplicity and vintage look.

Top Bottom