Aquila Super Nylgut vs. Lava

StevieD009

Reaction score
Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience using Super Nylgut strings and Lava strings from Aquila? (Soprano Uke) I purchased some lavas because I wanted black strings for my uke, and they are supposed to be the same as super nylguts only in black/grey. However, I found them to be visibly thinner and feel thinner/different than the Super Nylguts. Especially the C and E strings, which are quite thick and tactile in the Super Nylguts, which I like. Anyone know if they're the same gauge strings? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience using Super Nylgut strings and Lava strings from Aquila? (Soprano Uke) I purchased some lavas because I wanted black strings for my uke, and they are supposed to be the same as super nylguts only in black/grey. However, I found them to be visibly thinner and feel thinner/different than the Super Nylguts. Especially the C and E strings, which are quite thick and tactile in the Super Nylguts, which I like. Anyone know if they're the same gauge strings? Any thoughts?

Update on this - I wrote Aquila, and according to them the 2 strings are the same gauge, but might feel different given the materials used to make them black. It is possible that I got a set that was off on the gauge, given that it can sometimes vary given the mass production of the strings. So, gonna try another set of lavas and see if they don't feel any better. Let me know if you prefer one or the other.

I put the Lava's on a spruce and rosewood tenor that needed a bit of calming down. I like them on it a lot.

I've had both on my uke. They felt and sounded the same, but I just liked the look of the Lavas better.
almost all of my friends play white strings, I just hafta be different!

...and they are supposed to be the same as super nylguts only in black/grey. However, I found them to be visibly thinner and feel thinner/different than the Super Nylguts...

Not sure who told you they are the same. Mimmo of Aquila has said here on UU several times that they are of a different formula than the Nylgut and SuperNylgut strings.

I've played both kinds on my instruments, and yes the LAVA strings are thinner because via their composition of materials has a higher linear density than Nylgut/SuperNylgut, thus they need less mass to achieve the proper tension and intonation than the other polymer strings from Aquila.

However, IMHO the Aquila REDS, and Aquila CarbonBlack strings are even thinner in diameter than the LAVA string, also due to having even higher linear density than the LAVA and/or Nylgut/SuperNylgut strings.

Not sure who told you they are the same. Mimmo of Aquila has said here on UU several times that they are of a different formula than the Nylgut and SuperNylgut strings.

I've played both kinds on my instruments, and yes the LAVA strings are thinner because via their composition of materials has a higher linear density than Nylgut/SuperNylgut, thus they need less mass to achieve the proper tension and intonation than the other polymer strings from Aquila.

However, IMHO the Aquila REDS, and Aquila CarbonBlack strings are even thinner in diameter than the LAVA string, also due to having even higher linear density than the LAVA and/or Nylgut/SuperNylgut strings.

Thanks for the info, that makes sense and I can tell visibly that they are thinner. I exchanged emails with a woman named Anna who works for Aquila, emails coming from "Aquila Corde Armoniche" - She sent me the gauges for the Lava strings (still don't know why they don't list this on their packaging or their website), and claimed that they are exactly the same gauges as the Super Nylgut. Here are the specs they sent for the Lavas:
G = 65
C = 92
E = 77
A = 65

I told her that the Lavas felt and looked noticeably thinner than super nylguts, and as another comment on this thread mentions they are smoother (too smooth for my taste, almost plasticy). But she swears they are the same, and that the thinner set might have been a production error. I dunno, hard to get any real info out of them. For the top Uke string company they aren't exactly organized very well.

'I dunno, hard to get any real info out of them. For the top Uke string company they aren't exactly organized very well.[/QUOTE]
---
Have you verified the supposed gauge difference by micrometer or it is just your impression by eyes? I have done the check yesterday to be sure that everything is ok: supernylgut and lava has the same gauges. I mean, no problems.
Mimmo, Aquilastrings

Last edited:
'I dunno, hard to get any real info out of them. For the top Uke string company they aren't exactly organized very well.
---
Have you verified the supposed gauge difference by micrometer or it is just your impression by eyes? I have done the check yesterday to be sure that everything is ok: supernylgut and lava has the same gauges. I mean, no problems.
Mimmo, Aquilastrings[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mimmo,
I don't have a micrometer - looked into getting one, but seems that you have to spend some real money to get one that is accurate? I am going by eye/feel, and I could be wrong, or there is the possibility that the set of Lavas I got were off for whatever reason, but they look and feel noticeably thinner to me. I think I'm going to get another set and see if they don't feel closer to the Super Nylguts.

Maybe you can answer these questions for me: Why doesn't Aquila list the gauges either on the packaging, or on your website? It's pretty hard to track down this info, which is vital when purchasing strings IMO.
Also, the Lavas don't have the same texture as the super nylguts - they seem to feel a lot more "plastic," and don't have that tactile feel of the super nylguts, which is what I like to play on. Is this because of the material that gives them their color, or are the materials used identical?

Thanks so much for clearing things up, seems that the gauges of the 2 should be exactly the same, I will give it another shot on my end.

in our webiste there is a table with are almost all the gauges. maybe there is still to to do a few integrations; we are doing the new website so I will do the job soon. You see: we produce some 6,000 different kind of strings so it is hard to follow all the problem myshelf.
I do not like to write directly the gauges on the envelopes for a lot of good things, one is that the costs will be a lot higher for us. Today, on the same envelope (for example those of Supernylgut) we change the small white label only. if we print the diameter I must do a lot of personalized envelopes and this is absolutely crazy because the print cost and the quantity of envelopes to order will raise to 10 times more.

Second your question: the dark grey colour for the Lava introduce a few variation on the sound quality, feel and texture. I cannot fix this behaviour. Despite that, many like these lava strings.

One more things: a dark colour make the strings, by eyes, thinner. This is an optical hoax. Is not true that people that dress dark or black seems to be slimmer? Same happen with the strings. I have done the check by micrometer and there is no difference at all between Supernylgut and Lava
You see: our extruders works under microprocessor control. There is also a laser that detect the string- gauges continuosly with an allarm concerning the gauge tollerance. One extruder (we managed 4 plants) make 100,000 uke strings per day so it is a mass production: it is not possible that there are a few wrong strings thanks for all these checks and eletronic devices and allarms and high standardized process. In other worlds, we are working under strict control.

take care
Mimmo

Last edited:
I can confirm that the tenor Lava 114U and Supernylgut 106U measure exactly the same. I have sets that have been purchased recently and they are identical in diameter. These measurements were taken with uninstalled unstretched strings.

The best investment for rabid string changers is a Digital Caliper. Cost is $20.00 or so and they will last a lifetime. They are super simple to use and read. Diameter means a lot and I can tell in moments what it is. With most florocarbons thicker is warmer and thinner is brighter so you can mix and match if you are trying to tailor the sound.

As a machine friend of mine said........."I don't know what I think, I only KNOW what I measure"

in our webiste there is a table with are almost all the gauges. maybe there is still to to do a few integrations; we are doing the new website so I will do the job soon. You see: we produce some 6,000 different kind of strings so it is hard to follow all the problem myshelf.
I do not like to write directly the gauges on the envelopes for a lot of good things, one is that the costs will be a lot higher for us. Today, on the same envelope (for example those of Supernylgut) we change the small white label only. if we print the diameter I must do a lot of personalized envelopes and this is absolutely crazy because the print cost and the quantity of envelopes to order will raise to 10 times more.

Second your question: the dark grey colour for the Lava introduce a few variation on the sound quality, feel and texture. I cannot fix this behaviour. Despite that, many like these lava strings.

One more things: a dark colour make the strings, by eyes, thinner. This is an optical hoax. Is not true that people that dress dark or black seems to be slimmer? Same happen with the strings. I have done the check by micrometer and there is no difference at all between Supernylgut and Lava
You see: our extruders works under microprocessor control. There is also a laser that detect the string- gauges continuosly with an allarm concerning the gauge tollerance. One extruder (we managed 4 plants) make 100,000 uke strings per day so it is a mass production: it is not possible that there are a few wrong strings thanks for all these checks and eletronic devices and allarms and high standardized process. In other worlds, we are working under strict control.

take care
Mimmo

Thanks so much for all the info, Mimmo. Can you give me a link to where the table with the string gauges lives? I went through your site, both the USA version and the regular version, when I was searching for this and I could not find anything for the life of me. Hopefully the new site will be easier to navigate and understand. I see what you mean about the envelopes, that makes sense. It just makes buying strings difficult without knowing the diameter, as many dealers of your strings don't list them either, some do, depends on the string, etc. Would love to see some easy, simple chart if it exists.

I see what you mean about the Lava texture/sound. I don't dislike it, they are still good strings, but I like something with a softer more tactile touch, and not so slippy, so I think I'll have to resign myself to white strings as I've tried every black string out there and none of them have a similar feel to the Super Nylguts - which, BTW, are the only string I enjoy playing on, aside from the original Nylguts.

The optical illusion - I guess I have to concede that this is what's happening, although I can put the strings side-by-side and see a drastic difference, to me it doesn't seem like an illusion, and when I play them they feel much thinner, but perhaps it's in my head. Thanks again for explaining everything for me, I really appreciate the time and attention. At the end of the day, I'm going to be playing on Aquilas one way or another :)

Here is the link
https://aquilacorde.com/modern-instrument-sets/modern-instrument/3190/ukulele/?lang=en
The gauges are in the bottom
Same gauges on same on lava, supernylgut , new nylgut sets. On red series they are thinner while the tension is still the same
This happen because the reds are denser and so must be thinner to grant the same tension.
Take care
Mimmo

Ah I am adding a QR code to any evelope so,one can reach all the infos very fast

Last edited:
Here is the link
https://aquilacorde.com/modern-instrument-sets/modern-instrument/3190/ukulele/?lang=en
Same gauges on same on lava, supernylgut , new nylgut sets. On red series they are thinner while the tension is still the same
This happen because the reds are denser and so must be thinner to grant the same tension.
Take care
Mimmo

Ah I am adding a QR code to any evelope so,one can reach all the infos very fast

Thanks again Mimmo,
That's very helpful - good idea about the QR code, will be nice to have some quick reference on the package. Appreciate all your help.

Here is the link
Take care
Mimmo

Here is the link
Take care
Mimmo

Hello, Mimmo,

I can't find the gauges on that page, nor anywhere else - have they been taken away?

I'm especially interested in Super Nylgut high-G concerts, because I have an uke that has a compensated saddle shaped for those strings, and I try to figure out how the compensation has been done and which alternatives have (about) the same intonation etc.

For example, it seems that the A and G strings are compensated the same amount, meaning that the strings are the same gauge? I have (green sleeve) Martins there now, and the A is spot on, but the G is a bit on the flat side. It is thinner.

My best guess is though that I'll eventually end up at the Super Nylguts - they sound super nice on it.

For example, it seems that the A and G strings are compensated the same amount, meaning that the strings are the same gauge? I have (green sleeve) Martins there now, and the A is spot on, but the G is a bit on the flat side. It is thinner.

The Martin G is not thinner but thicker, of course. Sorry.

Top Bottom