Pona or Opio

dxn2

Reaction score
Both seem to be well respected. Does one have anything over the other. Specifically I am looking at the similarly priced all Acacia Tenors. The sound clips put it at a toss up for me. Looking to get informed opinions.

You really can’t go wrong with either. I love the KoAloha sound, so I would say to go with the Opio (and I did own a very nice Pono for some time). But I have a bias.

Is there any way for you to play one of each and find out for yourself?

I have no personal Pono experience, but I have a Tenor Neck Concert Opio that I think is really nice, especially with Living Water fluorocarbon low G concert strings. :)

To me the biggest difference is that the Pono has a radiused fretboard. For some this is not important, but for me it's almost a necessity. Also, per HMS the new 2018 Pono's are lighter with improved bracing. The Acacia Pro Classic also now comes with a side sound port.

If you like a thicker neck profile; Pono. Thinner neck profile; Opio.

EXACTLY what Patrick said. I owned a Pono tenor, bought a KoAloha tenor, then sold my Pono. Largely due to the neck size which didn't really work for my sized hands. No regrets getting the KoAloha.

I love both Pono and Opio, therefore I really like your question and that you narrowed down your choices to two brands which I'd consider to be the best value available.

I adore pretty much everything that Pono is offering, considering all the wood options and different choices or upgrades like slotted headstock, cutaway, radius fretboard, truss rod, gloss or satin finish, very clean build, and now a side sound port and even a bevelled armrest on their higher line of instruments... In terms of what you get for your money, I would say Pono has the edge. When it comes to the sound, however, I have to admit that I prefer the Opio (mine is from the Sapele line, before they switched to Acacia, see my review here). It's not world's apart, but definitely louder and fuller, matching some of the best custom ukes I have owned.

I wonder how many people have actually measured the neck thickness? I've done it on all of my ukes and came to conclude that the neck profile on the Opio tenor I have is pretty similar to that of Pono. Both necks are definitely not thin, but perfectly round which feels very comfortable to me.

Looking forward to hearing what you decide. Can't really go wrong with either one.

Well....I went with the Opio KTO-10 - Acacia all around. More instrument than I need at this stage but I know myself.
I’d be looking to upgrade in no time. I look forward to receiving it and participating with you all here on the forum.

Thank you all for the good advice.

Well....I went with the Opio KTO-10 - Acacia all around. More instrument than I need at this stage but I know myself.
I’d be looking to upgrade in no time. I look forward to receiving it and participating with you all here on the forum.

Thank you all for the good advice.

AWESOME! Welcome to the KoAloha family! Where did you buy it from?

Ordered from the Ukulelesite. Requested it be set up with a high G (it comes with a low from the factory). I am just a beginner and felt that was he way to go.

Ordered from the Ukulelesite. Requested it be set up with a high G (it comes with a low from the factory). I am just a beginner and felt that was he way to go.

Haha, awesome! My second uke was a Pono Pro Classic Acacia Tenor from The Ukulele Site. Had it for two years, then I bought a KoAloha directly from KoAloha and sold my Pono. I would not go back because KoAloha's are more comfortable to play for myself. Oh, and I had KoAloha re-string it to a high G as well, LOL. I think you made the right choice. The Opio Acacia's look and sound amazing.

OK.....No one mentioned how time stops while the new Ukulele is in the status of "in setup".

Ah, the waiting.........it gets us all. ;)

Not me! I have a uke coming on Thursday and I am not the least bit . . . . AUGH!!! When is that thing gonna get here!!!!!! AUGH!! I can't stand it!!!!

Oh, I mean, No, sirreebob! I am as patient as anything!

:D

Ooo! Just got an e-mail from FedEx that my uke is arriving 2 days early - tomorrow!!!!

Oh, sorry. Back to the thread . . . :cool:

Ooo! Just got an e-mail from FedEx that my uke is arriving 2 days early - tomorrow!!!!

Oh, sorry. Back to the thread . . . :cool:

OK......Not helping..... Just got the email that my order will be shipping on or about the 13th, THE 13TH!!!!! Really not a problem though. I appreciate the care and diligence of getting the Uke set up properly... If anyone hasn't watched the Ukulelesites video on setups I would recommend checking it out. That kind of service is worth the wait.

OK......Not helping..... Just got the email that my order will be shipping on or about the 13th, THE 13TH!!!!! Really not a problem though. I appreciate the care and diligence of getting the Uke set up properly... If anyone hasn't watched the Ukulelesites video on setups I would recommend checking it out. That kind of service is worth the wait.

Yeah, it will be worth the wait. Those guys know what they're doing!:)

They're both amazing, but you made a great choice. The Acacia Opio is a great Ukulele.

Top Bottom