Fingerstyle technique question

andy2353

Reaction score
I know the short answer is “practice,” but I am looking for help with the technique in which one is sort of playing an arpeggio by stroking down on the 4th string with the thumb, and then up on the remaining three strings in succession with the index, middle and ring. I don’t know if arpeggio is really the right word. It sort of replicates a downstroke with the thumb on all four strings. I find it really hard to get the timing right; usually I pluck all four at once which is not what I am after.

Thanks
Andy

Yup ... you got it ... practice ;)

Start slowly (very slowly) and build up to speed.

Do note, there are effectively two patterns to this style, which I believe is arpeggio.

First, pluck the fourth string with the thumb, then successively with the first, second and third finger pluck the third second and first strings.

Alternatively, pluck the fourth string with the thumb, then successively with the third, second and first finger, pluck the first, second and third strings.

I get the impression the first method is considered "correct" ... so you can guess which sequence I self-taught myself ... at least I sound "different" ;)

YMMV ... enjoy the journey :music:

Sounds like bass & 3 string chord to me, no idea if there is a proper name for it, but I would rotate my thumb to sound the low G, then pluck the other 3 strings together.

Sounds like bass & 3 string chord to me, no idea if there is a proper name for it, but I would rotate my thumb to sound the low G, then pluck the other 3 strings together.

There is a separation between all of the notes in the technique I am referring to.

I know the short answer is “practice,” but I am looking for help with the technique in which one is sort of playing an arpeggio by stroking down on the 4th string with the thumb, and then up on the remaining three strings in succession with the index, middle and ring. I don’t know if arpeggio is really the right word. It sort of replicates a downstroke with the thumb on all four strings. I find it really hard to get the timing right; usually I pluck all four at once which is not what I am after.

Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy,

Can you load up a little video to demonstrate? just a smart phone video would be fine :D

Hi Andy,

Can you load up a little video to demonstrate? just a smart phone video would be fine :D

Sure Campbell, that's easy since I have learned this from your videos! You use this technique throughout. Where I would normally use my thumb with a downstroke across all four strings, you are going down with the thumb and then up successively with the other three fingers:

For this technique I'm using the thumb, index, middle & ring fingers to play the arpeggio. The easiest way to learn this technique is to start with your thumb & 3 fingers in position on the 4 strings. Then simply pluck the 4th string with the thumb, the 3rd string with the index, the 2nd string with the middle and the 1st string with the ring. Start very slowly and evenly until you can play all the notes in time, one after the other. Once you can play it slowly you will be able to gradually build up speed so it becomes a roll.

Here'a a little video https://app.box.com/s/u5blnev6z72bruf5nrgmf4f4e13b5ezf

Last edited:
Thanks Campbell

I really appreciate you taking the time to do that; now for some practice!

Andy

Hey, thanks guys!
I got the right hand, now all I gotta do is make the left hand do something that makes sense!
Don't know if I'll ever be fast enough to make it roll, but so What?

Top Bottom