Enya Pineapple Volume and Sound?

bigsciota

Reaction score
The Enya X1 pineapple is at a very good price currently and I'm thinking of springing for it, but I'm wondering if anyone who has one can compare the volume and overall sound to something like a Dolphin or Kala KA-S. I've got an Enya bari and tenor and like them, but the tenor especially is noticeably quieter than other tenors I've had. Not a dealbreaker by any means, but I hear pineapples in general have more volume than sopranos, so I'm wondering if the shape helps make up for the lack of volume inherent in the HPL Enyas.

It is going to be softer than the Kala/Makala sopranos. Ariel McCleary has been using one in her latest videos on YouTube. The Enya will be a far better quality instrument than the beginning Kala models, and it has a radius fretboard.

I have an Enya X1 round body. It isn't very loud but this was somewhat improved with new strings, Living Waters in my case. So it would be fine playing at uke club but I would use something else if we had a gig.

It was only £20 and the new strings were £8. Reminds me of the old joke: how do you double the value of your Lada (cheap Russian car)? Fill it up with petrol.

But an Enya X1 is much better quality than an old Lada.

Last edited:
I own an Enya X1 round body, pineapple and a concert. The pineapple is much louder than the round body and very close to the concert and it is more resonant. The pineapple is not a "loud" instrument but it is not quiet either, nice volume like an average wooden figure 8 shaped soprano would produce.

I bought the original round Enya and it is desperately quiet. I assumed that the issue was due to the bridge being placed so far down the body and off the sweet spot. I think that is only partly true, as I also played their regular double bout soprano. Whilst that is louder than the round one, it's still overly quiet. I assume the pineapple will be similar.

I think the issue with the Enya X1 HPL ukes is the HPL rather than body shape or bridge placement. My X1 tenor measures 10 db less in volume for the A string compared to the C. It seems the HPL just sucks up the high notes. It doesn't make it sound "bad", just quiet.

Pulled the trigger on the round today. The quiet nature of the piece is what I want to be able to practice while in environments where you don't want to be loud. Will likely swap out the strings right away but we will see.
Nice to have a travel unit that I don't have to be too worried about over my Kamoa pineapple.

I recently strung my Enya X1 pineapple up with Aquila Reds. It improved the volume quite a bit and the brightness. It is just about as loud as my Kala spruce top super soprano which is a loud uke.

Last edited:
I think the issue with the Enya X1 HPL ukes is the HPL rather than body shape or bridge placement. My X1 tenor measures 10 db less in volume for the A string compared to the C. It seems the HPL just sucks up the high notes. It doesn't make it sound "bad", just quiet.

I can only assume you are right, but it still confuses me. I measured the thickness of the HPL to that on the Martin 0X series and it's identical - looks similar inside too and they don't look over braced either. Must be the type of HPL.

Other HPL instruments I have played (like the Martin) have had great volume - ie the Bonanza ukes from the US

Dave ( Down up Dave) brought his pineapple over to compare with mine. His is strung with Aquila Red as he mentioned above. Mine is the original strings that came with the Enya.
This is a true comparison and a testimony that strings do make a difference. I played the same song back to back between the two pineapples. His pineapple sounds a lot louder and the strings are more responsive. I will be ordering a pack of red although I swear I will not touch red ever again because of it’s breakage! Lesson learned , never says never !
We have had the Enya since before Christmas. No sign of problem! Neck is still straight. I left it sitting in the stand when I was away last two weeks with our heat turned way down low and 20% humidity. Absolutely no sign of distress with this little uke! Very impressive.

I can only assume you are right, but it still confuses me. I measured the thickness of the HPL to that on the Martin 0X series and it's identical - looks similar inside too and they don't look over braced either. Must be the type of HPL.

Other HPL instruments I have played (like the Martin) have had great volume - ie the Bonanza ukes from the US

Hello , this is Emma from Enya Musical Instruments Company . Our X1 series Ukes using the same HPL Koa patterned as Martin X series. HPL material is much thin, stable and environmental . More information, you could have a view of our website. www.enyamusical.com

Personal feeling of enya pineapple shape ukulele

I Like the pineapple shape of this enya uke and like the tone of it .

This ukulele is a great instrument. The smooth and soft feel are nice. The volume and sustain are amazing better than I expect . The strings is comfortable to hold and really like the accessories those come with .

I Like the pineapple shape of this enya uke and like the tone of it .

This ukulele is a great instrument. The smooth and soft feel are nice. The volume and sustain are amazing better than I expect . The strings is comfortable to hold and really like the accessories those come with .

Thank you Emily, Wish our ukulele will bring you the enjoyment of music. Please look forward to our other more models coming on Amazon.

Top Bottom