Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pono Ukuleles

Default Pono Ukuleles

I’ve decided that Pono’s basic models are as good as any ukulele built. In my mind they are equal to any of the high dollar ukuleles. The build quality is second to none, and better in my opinion than many high dollar production ukes. I love the sound and the feel of every Pono that I’ve ever played - I own two, a pineapple tenor mango and a baritone mango - these are great ukuleles! I have several students that play Pono concert ukuleles, I’ve not found a better concert ukulele anywhere at any price point.

I have no connection with Pono, but I love their ukuleles - in my opinion, they are the best!!! I recommend them to every student that I teach!

Tom
    Last edited by tomthebaptist; 02-01-2018 at 03:40 PM.
    TomtheBaptist

I’ve never played one. Sounds like I need to try one out!
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

I hate the friction tuners on my mango soprano. Love it otherwise.
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Hold everything with open hands." PereBourik

Have you played higher end ukes? I have a Pono UL4-40 Baritone. It's okay; I find the neck a little thick for my taste. Nothing compared to my Webber though. They make a good uke but not better than any uke at any price point imo. I have no problem recommending Pono but also tell them to check out Mainland, Islander and Ohanas for a basic model.

Like Bazz says; Preference in instruments and strings are based on individual opinion.

I've had 4 ponos. I've also owned 2 mainlands and a kala and a honeybell custom. I love my pono mahogany/cedar deluxe out of any uke I've had by a long shot, followed closely by an all mahogany Pono. The mainlands were nice enough but no comparison to the Pono to my hands and ears, but I can't go as far as to say it's as nice as a $2000 k brand. But if anyones budget is sub $1000, then you can't go wrong with one. They are great everyday ukes.

I’m comparing them with my Collings UT1 Tenor, which is a great ukulele. And, my Koaloha KSM-00 soprano, another great ukulele. I don’t think the Pono’s that I have are better. As for as build quality, they are equal in my opinion to anything on the market, including luthier made. As per sound and playability, I know that is subjective. I am primarily a guitart player, and I like the the thick neck. I find all the Pono’s I’ve played easy to play and the sound is great. I’m not saying they are the best — I’m just saying, I’ve not found anything in the their price range that matches their quality of craftsmanship.
    TomtheBaptist

I agree with you there. All of mine have been flawlessly built. I love the neck profile, and they come with a truss rod in the tenors. Mine even has a radiused fingerboard. Slap some worth brown low g strings on there and the sound is as close to my idea of perfect as I've gotten a uke to sound.
    Last edited by Capsfan89; 02-01-2018 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Spelling

I did love my Pono deluxe soprano. I agree and highly recommend them.
    Wunderkammer Ike Soprano - Enya Round Soprano

Archive - Timms - Martin - Pono - Ohana - Kala - Uluru - Bruko - Makala

I've got a master series arriving today, the ATSH-C-MS model! I'll give my feed back and post a video of me playing it up against an LFDM spruce top, and platinum all Koa Kanilea' 2014 model so the bar has been set high! Let's see how she does! All will be strung with soloist low g and D'Addario carbon trebles.
    NUD to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Theblackegg View Post
    I've got a master series arriving today, the ATSH-C-MS model! I'll give my feed back and post a video of me playing it up against an LFDM spruce top, and platinum all Koa Kanilea' 2014 model so the bar has been set high! Let's see how she does! All will be strung with soloist low g and D'Addario carbon trebles.
    NUD to follow.
    Wow! I can't wait to see the comparison video.
    Baritone: LoPrinzi SP/RS-B Custom
    Tenor: Mya Moe Classic #2052, Mya Moe Classic #2356
    Concert: Hoffmann ML Style, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, Kala Waterman KA CWB Green
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21 (My Starter Uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst (Work Uke), Fred Shield Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck)
    Mini: iUke Piccolo

Thread Information