Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pono Ukuleles

I bought a mahogany Pono baritone used in good cosmetic condition with re-entrant tuning but the action was on the high side. I phoned Andrew at HMS and he walked me through lowering the action via a stress rod adjustment and suggested a new set of strings with a wound low D and G. Those two changes made all the difference in how I feel about playing my Pono.

Keep riffin'

Surprised to hear that, as the function of a truss rod is primarily to adjust the amount of fretboard relief. Adjusting it has some effect on action, but if your relief is flat to begin with, you don't want to mess with it, but lower the saddle instead. My Pono tenor has action a tad higher than I'd like, but the fretboard relief is dead flat (which I do like, and don't wish to alter). Some day I'll get around to sanding the saddle down slightly, but I won't be touching the truss rod. FWIW

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

This is a case of "it depends". Due to humidity, heat, or just changes in the neck wood the neck can curve at the top section or just bow more that it should and raise the action. Loosening the truss rod in that case it the right answer to lowering the action. That's why truss rods exist. And I suspect Andrew knows what he's doing .

I recently bought a Pono AT. Despite being just a little on the quiet side, it was a lovely 'ukulele in every way - except the intonation was just too far out on the A string. Saddle compensation couldn't fix it. I guess it just shows that even the most reliable brands sometimes have the occasional flaw.

I returned the 'uke and the guys at Southern Ukulele Store couldn't have been more helpful. They jumped through an unreasonable number of hoops to find something that intonated well and that they thought I'd like. It was worth the inconvenience of returning the uke just to experience a level of service that I thought was long extinct.

In the end SUS suggested a Cordoba 35T. I was a bit wary as I have always associated the name with cheap 'ukes I've seen on Amazon. When it arrived though my doubts vanished very quickly. The uke is beautiful, flawless, intonates well and has pretty much the tone and volume I was looking for (once the stock Aquilas were retired in favour of a set of Wrth Browns).

Ponos are great 'ukuleles. Based on a sample of one Cordoba 35T I'd say that a good example of this uke is on a similar level of quality and in the same price ball park.
    And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no,
    And whether the skin be black or white as the snow,
    Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong,
    As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.

Unashamed Pono fan here. My koa Pono was the second ukulele I purchased, eleven years ago (!) and I still have it because it is an excellent ukulele. It has in fact stopped me from buying a Kanile`a or a Kamaka because, quite frankly, most of the koa K brand ukuleles I have played I simply cannot justify the additional expense for what would pretty much be a redundant ukulele.
    Everyone is different and likes different things, but if you are shopping for an ukulele please put Pono on your shopping list - try one, you will probably like it!
    For the price point, build quality, sound, playability (for me) are unmatched.
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

Thread Information