Pono Ukuleles

Tomthebaptist

Reaction score
I’ve decided that Pono’s basic models are as good as any ukulele built. In my mind they are equal to any of the high dollar ukuleles. The build quality is second to none, and better in my opinion than many high dollar production ukes. I love the sound and the feel of every Pono that I’ve ever played - I own two, a pineapple tenor mango and a baritone mango - these are great ukuleles! I have several students that play Pono concert ukuleles, I’ve not found a better concert ukulele anywhere at any price point.

I have no connection with Pono, but I love their ukuleles - in my opinion, they are the best!!! I recommend them to every student that I teach!

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve never played one. Sounds like I need to try one out!

I hate the friction tuners on my mango soprano. Love it otherwise.

Have you played higher end ukes? I have a Pono UL4-40 Baritone. It's okay; I find the neck a little thick for my taste. Nothing compared to my Webber though. They make a good uke but not better than any uke at any price point imo. I have no problem recommending Pono but also tell them to check out Mainland, Islander and Ohanas for a basic model.

Like Bazz says; Preference in instruments and strings are based on individual opinion.

I've had 4 ponos. I've also owned 2 mainlands and a kala and a honeybell custom. I love my pono mahogany/cedar deluxe out of any uke I've had by a long shot, followed closely by an all mahogany Pono. The mainlands were nice enough but no comparison to the Pono to my hands and ears, but I can't go as far as to say it's as nice as a $2000 k brand. But if anyones budget is sub $1000, then you can't go wrong with one. They are great everyday ukes.

I’m comparing them with my Collings UT1 Tenor, which is a great ukulele. And, my Koaloha KSM-00 soprano, another great ukulele. I don’t think the Pono’s that I have are better. As for as build quality, they are equal in my opinion to anything on the market, including luthier made. As per sound and playability, I know that is subjective. I am primarily a guitart player, and I like the the thick neck. I find all the Pono’s I’ve played easy to play and the sound is great. I’m not saying they are the best — I’m just saying, I’ve not found anything in the their price range that matches their quality of craftsmanship.

I agree with you there. All of mine have been flawlessly built. I love the neck profile, and they come with a truss rod in the tenors. Mine even has a radiused fingerboard. Slap some worth brown low g strings on there and the sound is as close to my idea of perfect as I've gotten a uke to sound.

Last edited:
I've got a master series arriving today, the ATSH-C-MS model! I'll give my feed back and post a video of me playing it up against an LFDM spruce top, and platinum all Koa Kanilea' 2014 model so the bar has been set high! Let's see how she does! All will be strung with soloist low g and D'Addario carbon trebles.
NUD to follow.

I've got a master series arriving today, the ATSH-C-MS model! I'll give my feed back and post a video of me playing it up against an LFDM spruce top, and platinum all Koa Kanilea' 2014 model so the bar has been set high! Let's see how she does! All will be strung with soloist low g and D'Addario carbon trebles.
NUD to follow.

Wow! I can't wait to see the comparison video.

Pono produce instruments that you can buy with confidence. Having done all my reading, and studied UU, my first purchase was a Pono. It was followed after a while by another. Although I now have other makes, the two ukulele I play most often are the Pono.

I have a top of the line PONO PRO classic madagasscar ebony on sale in classified at a great deal price, just an fyi.

I love my Pono chambered bodied electrics. I have a tenor and a baritone. Great electrics with great necks, as good as the more expensive Koaloha electrics.

for me, the Pono mahogany deluxe is a perfect for playing with sound or price.

I feel the same way. Everything about their build is extremely clean, they easily match or exceed some of the most expensive custom ukes in this regard. Both their gloss and satin finishes are perfectly smooth and flat, no open pores, no pimples. With all their wood combinations and options to upgrade such as a cutaway, slotted headstock, and now side sound port and bevelled armrest, they have many features that you'd have to go custom otherwise and pay accordingly. With all solid woods, they present a great value. I also like their innovative spirit, coming up with crossover instruments such as the Baritone Nui or their UL steel string baritone.

The only thing I don't like are the factory strings: they're far from showing the full potential of these instruments - but that's an easy fix. With the right strings, I would say that my AT and the ACD I bought as a gift for a friend sound just as good as any K brand I've ever owned or played. For a more modern sound and fingerpicking, I love to pick up my ETSHC with a Cedar top and Macassar Ebony back and sides. That one is pretty close to my Ko'olau, but the latter does have more resonance, clarity and depth.

I have no connection with Pono, but I love their ukuleles - in my opinion, they are the best!!! I recommend them to every student that I teach!

I’m not saying they are the best — I’m just saying, I’ve not found anything in the their price range that matches their quality of craftsmanship.

I've already decided that a Pono has my name on it. I do find it amusing when people contradict themselves completely in consecutive posts :)

The only thing I don't like are the factory strings: they're far from showing the full potential of these instruments - but that's an easy fix. With the right strings, I would say that my AT and the ACD I bought as a gift for a friend sound just as good as any K brand I've ever owned or played.

Strings are a very personal choice, obviously, but what have you found to be the right ones in this instance? I've swapped out the wound 3rd for a flatwound TI CF27 but left the other stock strings on my Pono tenor for a moment. Was planning to try both flouro and nylgut strings at some point, but read somewhere that nylgut is a bit low tension for Ponos?

I find that it is the wood, or combination of woods, that has more to do with string choice than brand of uke. It seems that brighter strings work better on woods like acacia and that warmer strings work better on woods like spruce/rosewood. But it's all up to personal preference.

I've already decided that a Pono has my name on it. I do find it amusing when people contradict themselves completely in consecutive posts :)

Now, that is funny. Thanks for pointing that out. You must be English Teacher.

Top Bottom