Case for Firefly banjo uke

captain-janeway

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a hardshell case to fit a Firefly banjo uke? Thanks

I put a link to one in the Duke 10 thread six down from this one.

I put a link to one in the Duke 10 thread six down from this one.

Thanks. I may need to go the construction route. The firefly only has a 8" head, but I guess I could pad one if I found one. I love the look of that Duke 10, but tenor is too big for my hands. I'm actually trying to trade a tenor for a concert Kala.

Which size FIREFLY do you have? I have the concert sized one and can fit it in a Kala banjo uke concert size case. It is not a perfect fit but it is a hardcase. The slot for the neck needs to be deeper so uke is seated level in case. There is more than enough room for the remohead. The uke also fits with a little room to spare all around the uke in the concert Mono case. This is my preferred case since it is more portable and has an outside pocket.

Which size FIREFLY do you have? I have the concert sized one and can fit it in a Kala banjo uke concert size case. It is not a perfect fit but it is a hardcase. The slot for the neck needs to be deeper so uke is seated level in case. There is more than enough room for the remohead. The uke also fits with a little room to spare all around the uke in the concert Mono case. This is my preferred case since it is more portable and has an outside pocket.

Thanks I'll look into it!

Magic Fluke has a TKL hardshell case (New for 2018) on their website. The write-up says it fits all fleas and fireflies. You may want to check out the pictures of it.

Magic Fluke has a TKL hardshell case (New for 2018) on their website. The write-up says it fits all fleas and fireflies. You may want to check out the pictures of it.

Thanks. Missed it somehow.

I think the hardshell case is a very recent addition to the Magic Fluke accessories section (NAMM 2018?). Theyve had the gigbag "sleeves" on the site for quite awhile.

I wondered if this case would really fit the Tenor Firefly, so I asked them. Just heard back that this hardshell case does NOT fit the Tenor Firefly, so they're going to correct the entry on their website.

Thanks for checking that out, Besley. Their write-up about the case makes it sound as though it fits all of the sizes of Fireflies, though I did wonder how the one size would fit all of their models. Did they say whether they plan to make one that fits the tenor Firefly?

Thanks for checking that out, Besley. Their write-up about the case makes it sound as though it fits all of the sizes of Fireflies, though I did wonder how the one size would fit all of their models. Did they say whether they plan to make one that fits the tenor Firefly?

No indication - just that they do not offer a hard case at this time.

Thanks everyone. I went to try both a soprano and concert last week and both of them seemed to have this odd buzzing to me. I was in a really good shop (they specialize in ukes) and even the guy there noticed it. Don't know if it's common the the Fireflies or if they're just off somehow.
While I was there I actually picked up a spruce top Kala long neck that sounds almost more banjo-y. Then I found a guy selling one close to me for only $80. Lucky me!

I made one for mine. It cost over $100, though. : ) I used 1/4" plywood, so it was rather heavy. It looks nice, though, and it did the job - till I sold the Firefly.

If you're interested, I could send it to you if we can agree on a price.

I'll post some pictures of it tomorrow (if I remember :eek: )

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I went to try both a soprano and concert last week and both of them seemed to have this odd buzzing to me. I was in a really good shop (they specialize in ukes) and even the guy there noticed it. Don't know if it's common the the Fireflies or if they're just off somehow.
While I was there I actually picked up a spruce top Kala long neck that sounds almost more banjo-y. Then I found a guy selling one close to me for only $80. Lucky me!

From what I've read, it's not unusual for banjos and banjo ukes to have some buzzing. Read a lot of reviews. I have a Duke 10 and a Gold Tone, and I'm not bothered by any buzzing. Maybe it's there, and maybe it isn't, but I like the sound of both of them.

tsk tsk

Another member here (Maiden Uke) sent me a PM asking if I had thought of trying a mandolin case for my Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly. I hadn't, but it sounded like a good idea. So after a jam today I stopped by my local Guitar Center and was able to check out the fit on at least one case - Road Runner RRMAM ABS Molded A Mandolin Case.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runner/RRMAM-ABS-Molded-A-Mandolin-Case.gc

RRMAMA_ABS_Molded_A_Mandolin_Case_mobile.png

At $120 this is more than I would want to have to pay, but I was pleased to see that the Tenor Firefly did fit. (Sorry I forgot to get a photo of it in the case.) The width of the hoop kept the uke from sliding up enough for the headstock to hit the top of the case, and the pad at the bottom of the lid kept the bridge out of harms way. The neck did flop about a bit, so that if you were serious about using a case like this you would want to have some foam blocks with you to immobilize the neck. But anyway, for anyone interested in a hard case you might want to check out a mandolin case. There's one on sale right now at Musician's Friend for just $30 that I'd love to try, except for the hassle of sending it back if it didn't work out.

think I'll be asking about this down the road about one of the new gold tone little gems coming out in the summer. I decided I just didn't like the sound of the firefly (again that weird buzz), so I'm going to give this one a try. Liked the sound of it from the clip I heard. Yes, I know it's plastic and looks kind of funky, but for $150 why not?

Thanks for sharing the results of your quest, Steve. The style A mandolin case at Musician's Friend is back up to 49.99 with a 25% discount. Still, I might consider it if it goes back down to $30. I've had good luck with their ukulele cases.

Magic Fluke may come out with a case to fit the tenor Firefly at some point. I just saw a 5 String banjo based on the same design as their tenor Firefly. Maybe a case to fit is next.

Top Bottom