Visiting Oahu

UltraQ

Reaction score
There's an excellent chance work will be sending me to Honolulu this spring (it's a tough job, but its got to be done). What are the can't-miss things to do for ukulele folks? Are there any sites online or local papers that list where local musicians are playing?

I would recommend a tour of an ukulele factory. KoAloha is the closest to Waikiki - across from the Ala Moana Mall at 1234 Kona Street, but Kamaka is not too far either, near the Kaka’ako area on South Street (the 19, 20 and 42 buses stop nearby). If you have a car or want a lovely bus ride to the Windward side of the island, Kanile’a is in Kaneohe.

To buy a uke, nothing beats The Ukulele Site’s store on the North Shore, Hawaii Music Supply.

As for live music, I would recommend the KaniKaPila Grille at the Outrigger on the Beach hotel in Waikiki.

Congratulations Scott. Glad to see you are posting.

I've never been there, but The Ukulele Site is on my bucket list. My only other suggestions are "Koa" or "Mango".

Your work is sending you to Hawaii? Are they hiring?

I would recommend a tour of an ukulele factory. KoAloha is the closest to Waikiki - across from the Ala Moana Mall at 1234 Kona Street, but Kamaka is not too far either, near the Kaka’ako area on South Street (the 19, 20 and 42 buses stop nearby). If you have a car or want a lovely bus ride to the Windward side of the island, Kanile’a is in Kaneohe.

To buy a uke, nothing beats The Ukulele Site’s store on the North Shore, Hawaii Music Supply.

As for live music, I would recommend the KaniKaPila Grille at the Outrigger on the Beach hotel in Waikiki.

Well, these would be my recommendations, exactly! Also, check out Honey's in Kaneohe.

http://www.honeysrestauranthawaii.com/live-hawaiian-music-in-kaneohe/

Don't forget to post pictures.

Message MM Stan on the forum. Good guy and a dear friend. Stan knows everyone in the loop on Oahu. He knows everyone and everyone knows him.
Led Kaapana plays locally at a restaurant on a golf course. It could be Honey's, I'm not sure. Check LED's schedule online. I know Henry Kapono plays at the Aloha Tower. Have a great trip.

You have to go to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Good to get there in the morning. And if you want a delicious cheap meal - in Waikiki no less - Marakume Udon. My favorite place to eat in all of Oahu is the Tita's food truck at the Polynesian Cultural Center. Best dang tuna fish salad sandwich in the world. Great place to stop on your way up to HMS.

You have to go to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Good to get there in the morning. And if you want a delicious cheap meal - in Waikiki no less - Marakume Udon. My favorite place to eat in all of Oahu is the Tita's food truck at the Polynesian Cultural Center. Best dang tuna fish salad sandwich in the world. Great place to stop on your way up to HMS.

Good advice. How are you Rick?
We also like Kin Wah on Kam Highway in Kaneohe. The Pastelle Shop on School St is really good. Neither place is much to look at and parking can be tough. Don't let that fool you, the food is first rate. The taro duck at Kin Wah's is my personal favorite.

Thanks for all the replies. Some really great recommendations! I'll do my best to try all of them!

-Scott

Top Bottom