Born to be blue - on Kala tenor

Flatbaroque

Reaction score
I couldn't see any uke covers online of this lovely old jazz standard - so I thought I'd have a go.Written by Mel Torme and Robert Wells.Covered by many.Chet Baker being my favourite.
On Kala Tenor. Hope some like it.
Cheers

Thanks Flatbaroque, i'm a big big big fan of Chet Baker and i found your version very nice and moody.
I looked for the chords of this song but never found something satisfying.
Could you share the chords if you please? Id love to give a try on this :)

Cheers Mr Kahuna and Stivo.

Stivo I used the chords in this PDF book.Except I changed a lot of the 7th cords to 13th chords for a more jazzy sound.

Thank mate, appreciated. Is there a simple explanation for changing to 13th?
Also in Sydney. I am near Manly.

I have just bought my first ukulele, a tenor. It is an old aussie brand called Legacy, but it looks just like a Kala with identical headstock, sound hole rosette and bridge, which has 3 bone strips. Oh, and it is solid spruce top. $30. I have cleaned it up with lemon oil, shaved down the bridge a little, scraped the gunge off the fretboard with a razor (just the gunge), and re-oiled the rosewood with lemon oil.

Last edited:
Cheers Mr Kahuna and Stivo.

Stivo I used the chords in this PDF book.Except I changed a lot of the 7th cords to 13th chords for a more jazzy sound.

http://bs-gss.ru/temp/bw/200 Of The Best Songs From Jazz Of The 50s_BOOGIEWOOGIE.RU.pdf

Thanks a lot for answering Flatbaroque, i downloaded the pdf file, there are interesting songs in, happy of it. To be honest, i alerady worked a lot of the song, i used your video to look for chords then i arranged this with some guitar chords i found too...Made myown mix. And i may record it today :) It's a song i always wanted to sing so your post reminds me how much i loved it. Thanks again, and a lot ;)

Cheers Kahuna...yea just try the two opening chords in the attached PDF.You'll hear if you play 7th chords...it sounds fine...but a 13th chord has a "cooler" jazz sound.I'm sure there is a chord theory explanation..but just using my ears here.I started on jazz uke stuff by downloading Glen Rose's lessons.Great resource.

Stivo..yes a good book that PDF.Looking forward to hearing your version.Your Steve Martin cover was excellent.I will comment on it!!
I might post a version of "Almost Blue" by Elvis Costello..Chet Baker does that too.I've done a guitar version but It comes up nicely on a uke too.

Top Bottom