Greetings from Indiana, my uke journey

Xochi

Reaction score
Hi there. I've been lurking for weeks and really enjoying this forum. I've learned an incredible amount from you people. Thank you!

I'm fairly new to the ukulele. I'm 51 and have played bass guitar since middle school. I've been in at least one band more or less since then. I bought an acoustic guitar about ten years ago but never really got beyond basic chords and strumming. Those little strings are just too close together. But I got really into bass guitar last year and pretty much built my ultimate P bass using various parts I researched on the Internet. It's now my only electric bass. I do have an upright bass I got for a steal, but I haven't done much with it yet. I need to find a teacher for that, I think.

About three years ago, on a whim I bought my dad a ukulele for his birthday (a $100 Mitchell concert, which I carefully set up so that it actually plays pretty nice). He's the kind of guy who always has a new hobby or project, so I thought it would be cool if he learned an instrument and could play with his sons (my brother is a guitar player). Next time I was at his house I saw the uke and asked how it was going. He told me he was gonna be honest -- he had no interest and no talent and knew he would never learn it. He told me to take it with me.

I did and for a few weeks played around with it. Then I put it away and pretty much forgot about it. Then a few months ago I found it and picked it up again. Something clicked. I started really learning chords, even complex, jazzy ones. I started practicing finger picking. I started to polish my strumming techniques. It's so easy to just have on the couch or in bed or by my desk while I'm working (I work at home, a freelance book editor), that I started making real progress. This was right before Christmas. My fiance saw how into it I was and bought me a really nice Kala SMHT, solid mohogany tenor, for Christmas. It is a joy to play. I've got the action down the absolute perfect place and found a string combination I love.

I've become sort of obsessed with everything ukulele. I've been using it to study music theory and pick out favorite songs from throughout my life. I've stopped following TV shows and pretty much just watch uke stuff on YouTube. UU is a wonderful resource. I'm working my way through reading the entire Uke Talk forum backward in time. Currently I'm in late 2015. I'm also enjoying the UU podcast.

I've got UAS really bad right now. I really want to get a nice soprano to round out my collection, but we're tight on money at the moment, planning our wedding in June, etc. My birthday is coming up in March, though, so that's what I will be asking for or putting any birthday money toward. I would like to buy it from Mim's Ukes. Recommendations welcome -- I plan on about a $250 budget. I'm experienced enough with instruments to know I'll eventually want to get a decent one, so it's actually cheaper to just do that off the bat.

I haven't played uke on stage yet, but I imagine that's coming up, perhaps this summer. I'll need to install a pickup on the Kala (recs welcome -- I want a passive pickup) or get a new soprano that has one on it. I know a lot of local musicians and look forward to participating as something besides the bass player for a change. We'll see how that goes. I may also play a song at my mom's memorial service coming up in May.

I really encourage other bass players to try out the ukulele. It's a natural fit. Four strings spaced fairly far apart, played with the fingers? What's not to like? It just makes sense to me -- more sense than a guitar does, anyway.

I figured it was time to say hi and thanks for being such a great community.

Last edited:
I'm in Indiana, too! Mims Ukes is awesome and she does a good set up on every uke she sells, from what I understand. You should also consider Mainland. Especially since you are in Indiana. Their shop is in Brown County. I love my Mainland concert mahogany. They also host the Ukulele World Congress, every year. It's a real good time. You should consider it. Indiana is a good place to be in the uke world. Just sayin.

Wow, I didn't realize a new Mainland solid mahogany soprano was $199. It would be cool to own an Indiana uke, even though I believe they're made in the far east.

Wow, I didn't realize a new Mainland solid mahogany soprano was $199. It would be cool to own an Indiana uke, even though I believe they're made in the far east.

Trust me you will love it. Very good ikea. What part of Indiana are you in? I'm 25 mins south of Lafayette.

Trust me you will love it. Very good ikea. What part of Indiana are you in? I'm 25 mins south of Lafayette.

Zionsville, so pretty much the first town you hit leaving Indy north on 421. Not too far from you. My GF works in Frankfort.

Zionsville, so pretty much the first town you hit leaving Indy north on 421. Not too far from you. My GF works in Frankfort.

I love Zionsville. I'm in Crawfordsville. But I'm from the West side of indy.

Buying from Mim is a good choice, but I’ll also recommend a trip to Mainland in Nashville, IN. Since most of their business is mail order, they’re usually not open weekends, and you should call ahead. The big advantage is that you can try a bunch of instruments in person to see which one grabs you.

Welcome to UU.
I bought an Ohana SK 50G from Mim a year ago. It is an all solid Soprano with cedar top and rosewood body. Surprisingly good sounding for its price. It costs $219 new, well within your budget. I have Sopranos that costs over a thousand bucks and I don't think there is a big difference.

Welcome to the forums!! Already some great advice here.

Welcome to UU.
I bought an Ohana SK 50G from Mim a year ago. It is an all solid Soprano with cedar top and rosewood body. Surprisingly good sounding for its price. It costs $219 new, well within your budget. I have Sopranos that costs over a thousand bucks and I don't think there is a big difference.

Also sounds good. So many choices. Too bad I can't get them all. I also have my eye on her Ohana SK-38, the one mimicking an old Martin.

Buying from Mim is a good choice, but I’ll also recommend a trip to Mainland in Nashville, IN. Since most of their business is mail order, they’re usually not open weekends, and you should call ahead. The big advantage is that you can try a bunch of instruments in person to see which one grabs you.

Road trip! Maybe I'll go there this summer. We usually go to Nashville once a year.

Road trip is a good idea. I'm in Lebanon, IN and I am driving up to Elderly Instruments in a few weeks. I also plan on driving down to Mainland in the summer...perhaps when that uke festival is going on nearby in Brown County.

So we all meet in Nashville IN this summer at Ukulele World Congress! For the record, we s have 3 Mainlands in our family. I have a tenor, my wife has a concert and one daughter has a baritone.

Last edited:
UWC sounds amazing. I hope we can go.

Top Bottom