Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 312 - Contrast

Default Season 312 - Contrast

Am I late posting this? Sorry! I looked up Hawaiian time and thought I had all day today too to post...confused!

Anyway...

For 312th Season it’s all about CONtrast or conTRAST : )

While arranging a song I want you to figure out a way to have an obvious contrast within it.

Some examples:

— You could have a contrast in genre - add country/rock/blues/jazz style choruses to a pop song.

- You could change the mood of a song, arranging a sad song to have happy verses but then very angry chorus.

- The contrast can the tempo within a song, going from really fast to really slow.

- Or change the strums/playing style, starting a song with e.g. Formby style strumming and fingerpicking other parts of it.

- Using whatever bag of tricks you have in terms of strumming patterns, fingerpicking, drumming on the uke, is encouraged - so long as you don’t use the same strum throughout - remember! Contrast is the key

EDIT** You can also, if you want, mash two different songs together to create the contrast!

Note: It’s not enough to find for example, an upbeat pop song and record it in its entirety as a blues number, you still need a contrast within the arrangement. So, you’d have to have the (now bluesy) pop song, and still add a contrasting element e.g. hip hop choruses

This is all about stretching yourselves out of your comfort zones, so do try mess around and try to learn something new

But most of all have fun!!

RULES

1: THREE SONG LIMIT - sorry, but I won't have time to look at more than that, so pick your three best if you've more

2: Can be any song you like or originals

3: Can use multi-tracking, other instruments added vocals, but uke front and centre.

4: Finishes on Sunday night, February 11th Midnight Hawaaian time.

I don't know what the prizes are yet, some small tokens to be decided. I'll choose a couple of my favourites and a couple at random to give everyone a chance at being a winner!

PLAYLIST
    Last edited by Car Singer; 02-04-2018 at 01:59 AM.

Cool. So something like Bjork's 'It's Oh So Quiet' would fit the bill exactly?
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

gosh, thought I was going to be first.
    I often play this at open mics.
    --
    www.robineshaw.wordpress.com - the website for my musical antics

Put your pin in the seasonista map at http://tinyurl.com/qb7zk8z

Caramel zebrawood acoustic sopranino
    Kala KA-SEME
    CBSKY Pro music series plastic uke

SPOTSIOMPIT

Quote Originally Posted by redpaul1 View Post
    Cool. So something like Bjork's 'It's Oh So Quiet' would fit the bill exactly?
    Well...kind of...the point was that you'd pick a song and add the contrast, rather than doing a song already with a massive contrast, but yes, that song is an ideal example!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Wafflesquirt View Post
    gosh, thought I was going to be first.
    You've gotta be quick to beat an Aussie.....
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

Strumming on the verses and more of a strum pick on the bridge with a short change in tempo at the end.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Here is a U2 song from the new Album called the Showman.
    My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/xommen
    My soundclouds: https://soundcloud.com/wvommen, https://soundcloud.com/uke22live
    The band: http://www.uke22.nl
    My ukes:
    Soprano: Black Korala, Bach Spruce top, Mahalo Steel String Electric
    Concert: Epiphone Les Paul, Ohana CKS-15E, Makawao UK 40
    Tenor:
    Hudson HUK-T.
    Bass: Harley Benton Kahuna CLU Bass.

And boom! It's all started. Delighted with the videos so far. Pa's soft and then appropriately more upbeat to match the lyrics hymn. Lumpywafflesquirt doing a cracking job of not playing fast when it's normally required, Wee Ginga with a subtle yet noticeable strumming and tempo change and Xommen with a boppily strummed U2 song becoming a melancholic tearjerker.

Keep 'em coming folks. This is great fun for me to listen to what you've come up with and trying to guess what the contrast within the song might be : )

x Elena
    Last edited by Car Singer; 02-05-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Car Singer View Post
    Am I late posting this? Sorry! I looked up Hawaiian time and thought I had all day today too to post...confused!
    I usually post just before going to bed on Saturday night. That means our friends across the pond see it late afternoon to early evening (depending how far west they are) and can be ready to go Sunday Morning. It suits the down under brigade too as they have all day to think about what to post for their first as Midnight Hawaii for them is early evening (I'm sure Pa or Rustyy will tell you what time for them).

Midnight Hawaii is 10am GMT (I assume Ireland uses the same time zone as the UK) so you can still get away with posting first thing Sunday morning. I did that once when I was visiting my daughter in London but there were lots of heavy hints on the 'anticipation' thread.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Thread Information