Season 312 - Contrast

So here I was at 5 am this morning with an Idea of doing something percussive ..........As I'm a bit of an oddball player in that the more I practice something the worse it gets I decided to do a one taker and play whatever popped into my head as I played. Hope it panned out ok for your ears .

My first. A Bruce Springsteen song. The contrast is in the middle section where I just used occasional strummed chords but with a drone accompaniment which I then keep on to the end. Not all that original but based on a YT clip of Springsteen singing it in concert where the middle section (which is really about a dream) he just has a keyboard playing sustained chords. The pictures are from the London Transport Museum and the Bluebell Railway in Sussex except the Rocket Replica which is from the Railway Museum in Shildon, Co. Durham.

I wasn't sure if this would upload as we've had internet problems today which seem to mainly be affecting WiFi for some reason but my laptop is hard wired to the modem and that seems to be working OK.

I don't know why this song popped into my head, completely unexpected on my behalf, anyhow I thought it had some interesting contrast within the song already, and so I decided to give it a whirl after checking out the version by Anne Murray.
So, this version is somewhat different to Anne Murray's version anyway, although I've tried to keep it fairly close.
There is some details regarding the Song and Authors in the Description section under the Video on YT channel , if anyone is interested to have a read.
Anyway for now it's Picnic Time for Teddy Bears

Happy Ukeing :)

I haven't had a chance to do much listening but I had some time today to make some noise! First time in a month I believe :)

I tried to write a song keeping "contrasts" in mind, and this is what I got. The real contrast here is the difference between someone having some habits that might drive you a little crazy at times, but it doesn't stop you from loving them.

Greetings,

Looks like there’s some good vids here, trying to watch them all this season. I missed most last week. Sometimes I gotta sleep, it’s a problem. Eating my baloney sandwich and going to sleep now. Catch u tomorrow.

Ciao

Please explain to an ignorant Brit ... just what exactly IS "baloney"?

think "Belgium", Val. processed meat roll made from innards and intestinal tracts, assholes and eye sockets etc. scary but gooooood. :p

think "Belgium", Val. processed meat roll made from innards and intestinal tracts, assholes and eye sockets etc. scary but gooooood. :p

Belgium???? Well ... I know they eat horses (I think!) Whatever ... that sounds absolutely DISGUSTING!!!! (There is a rather unpleasant French sausage, called "andouillette" which is composed of similar "nasties" and tastes rather like mothballs - although it's usually served with a mustard sauce, which makes it edible. It gives you terrible indigestion afterwards, though.) I am sure Gina will put us right!

I think "Belgium" might be a particularly Australian type of processed meat. Apparently Baloney is an American variant of Mortadella if that helps.

OK. Getting away from these Offal sausages. I can't remember what they called it but I seem to remember having one in Lyon once. My hosts said it was basically tripe but made to look like a sausage. If I remember, it didn't taste too bad.

Here's my second entry. A Fiery Johnny Cash song with tempo contrast and lots of harmonica to provide extra contrast. The fire effect came from some free to download green screen animations I found on You Tube.

Apologies for lowering the tone, Geoff! And REALLY sorry, Elena ... Gina started it! Just to clarify the issues for those such as myself who are curious, the photos below will explain all. (And Baloney is far more refined than what Jon described; I knew Gina wouldn't eat anything that disgusting! Andouillettes, on the other hand, are just as repellent as Jon suggested.)

1. Baloney 659.baloney.jpg

2. Andouillettes 27608_w420h344c1cx256cy192.jpg

3. Belgium map_of_belgium.jpg

4. Mark Knopfler dire_straits.jpg

P.S. I THINK WE HAVE A "CONTRAST" HERE, ELENA!!!

Last edited:
most excellent version of that song, Geoff.
and that photograph almost made baloney look edible.
seriously, that's 18 dollar a kg sliced ham where I come from.
that baloney impersonation is baloney!!!
I'll take a kg of MK anytime thanks :p

SOTU 312: CONTRAST - "IN THE PINES" Performed by Dennis & Evelyn Danner

"In The Pines" is a song best known from Huddie Ledbetter's (Lead Belly) early recording and covered in recent years by Nirvana. The lyrics are a dialog between a man and a woman but being sung only by the male. I contrasted playing style for the two voices by using a picking pattern for the male dialog and a strummed accompaniment to the female voice's refrain.

Changing between picking and strumming is something I have long struggled with, and this Season's theme presented an excellent opportunity to address this difficulty. The solution for me proved to be the same as always: slow down the tempo, count the timing, and practice, practice, practice. :)

I hope you like our version of this classic.

My Third and final entry for the Season , I've kept moderately simple with the contrast in this song , basically doing a partially muted strum through the verses and mainly fingerpicking in the chorus.
Thanks for Hosting Elena, it's been good to participate in the Season.

Happy Ukeing :)

This is definitely not an entry, I gave up the will to live with it !!
When you just can't get the lyrics right even when you've read them for the hundreth time ............

Top Bottom