Season 312 - Contrast

Hi all! Thanks for the entries, since my last update! I'll be catching up tomorrow, Saturday with a round up and watching those that I haven't caught up with yet. In the meantime...it's Friiiiday! The weekend's here : ) (or soon will be) have a good one!

think "Belgium", Val. processed meat roll made from innards and intestinal tracts, assholes and eye sockets etc. scary but gooooood. :p

Omg how funny. It’s a tasty processed pork cold cut thinly sliced, tasting somewhat like a hot dog. Best not to read the ingredients. Basically leftovers from Super Bowl party.

Last edited:
Omg how funny. It’s a tasty processed pork cold cut thinly sliced, tasting somewhat like a hot dog. Best not to read the ingredients. Basically leftovers from Super Bowl party.

I hate that stuff (bologna). My sisters used to like to fry it, made the whole house smell like fried balogna. I would have to go outside.

My third and final entry is a short goof around.............

2nd last roundup! of recent uploads by you wonderful ukers. I'm off to a gig tonight to see this guy ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgTDYaOed6c so I'll hopefully look at the last entries before that confusing and pesky Hawaiian time tomorrow.

In the meantime:

Recovering Bassist Gave a veritable feast of contrasting elements including runs/riffs, a sad and slow broken-hearted vibe only for the song to turn powerful and angry. Boo hoo to screw you! :D

Kolibri User Gave us some Alice Cooper in her own inimitable style, contrasting the original rock song with one that to me sounded like the whispers of a shy lover, some definite-sounding downstrums to emphasise the lyrics and - always guaranteed to improve any video - the inclusion of a stunningly beautiful cat.

Gina S Provided contrast by mixing an original song with a Pink Floyd number. There's a fingerpicking intro, then a tempo change and sound effect is striking. Altogether a great and yet poignant mash-up of two different Echoes.

Limousin Lil had me at "terpsichorean"! Due to hosting this week, I know the meaning of lurgy/lurgi and terpischorean ; ) She started fast, very fast, like a horse out of the box at the Grand National, only to decide to slow down and smell the flowers for this contrasting take of two different dancing songs.

mythinformed* Was awake early thinking of percussive stuff and his lack of sleep was worth it as he came up with this one-take wonder which includes not only that tapping, but tremelo, strumming, fan stroke and plucking. What more contrast could one ask for?! : )

Tootling’ Geoff Can be accused of 'droning on' in this one, in his use of a drone sound in the middle section. He's also managed to gave American rock an English folk feel as if Springsteen stole this, the original, and changed it.

Dean Beaver If you go down to the woods today, do expect some cute and cuddly teddy bears having a picnic, only to realise they are in fact slavering beasts. Run run for your lives! There was a definite change in mood in this one from fun to fear and it includes...a kazoo! Woo!

More later folks from me - apologies to anyone waiting on me to look at their videos, I am looking forward to listening to the latest songs later tonight : )

Season 312. Submission 3. "Pühapäev Kadriorus" (Sunday in Kadriorg) Written by Raimond Valgre (1946 - 47)

Elena, the contrast in this one is the use of both the guitalele and taropatch ukulele. Also, rare is the time I'm brave enough to try an instrumental. I hope this one will fit the bill for your great season.

Special thanks to Kolibri for covering a number of songs by Raimond Valgre; this is how I discovered this amazing composer!

Thank you for hosting, Elena!

Last edited:
Sort of dipping a toe in the water of being back going on here.

Hello.

I picked a repetitive song, so I could focus on lots of contrasting styles. In order of appearance, you'll hear me do my best
  • high school punk rock bass line,
  • BEVOMU-style upstrumming,
  • fingerpicking,
  • ukulele group down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up strumming,
  • reggae,
  • Bay Area ska punk, and
  • middle-aged punk.

Whee!

Finally found time to post. I've been lurking and loving everything you're all doing. So Ode to Billy Joe has contrast of the small talk with ominous subtext. Also tried to throw in some contrasting styles and a bit of a smash-up with Guitar Gently Weeps. Peace and grooviness to all! :)

Apologies for lowering the tone, Geoff! And REALLY sorry, Elena ... Gina started it! Just to clarify the issues for those such as myself who are curious, the photos below will explain all. (And Baloney is far more refined than what Jon described; I knew Gina wouldn't eat anything that disgusting! Andouillettes, on the other hand, are just as repellent as Jon suggested.)

1. Baloney View attachment 106562

2. Andouillettes View attachment 106563

3. Belgium View attachment 106564

4. Mark Knopfler View attachment 106565

P.S. I THINK WE HAVE A "CONTRAST" HERE, ELENA!!!

:D :D :D I don't think it's any coincidence that after that baloney conversation started that Geoff uploaded 'Ring of Fire' :p - I remember reading somewhere that a company selling cream for, to put it delicately, one's nether-regions, wanted to use that particular Johnny Cash song within the ad and his estate said a big fat NO!

Thanks for the latest uploads everyone. I've had so much fun listening to them all! I see that the next season is already posted, but if anyone's still itching to upload anything for this season, there's still time : )

Linda Louden told us we gotta move! And move it did with some foot-tapping beat from strumming contrasting with use of the slide and layered sounds of vocals, tambourine and more!

UkeintheHeartofTexas brought an original song that everyone can relate to. The contrast of someone driving you insane with their annoying habits, while simultaneously loving them deeply. The lyrics raise a smile, the arrangement/tune is very sweet.

Randy McSorely and Randy McSorely - What's better than one Randy? Two! Randy managed to clone himself for this video with his second persona adding contrast with an electrified peanut uke adding some contrasting va va voom!

Tootlin' Geoff Someone call the fire brigade, as Geoff is on fire this week with a Johnny Cash number given the contrast treatment. Expect vigorous strumming, harmonica along with more sensitively played fingerpicking.

ddanner joined by Evelyn on harmonica - you won't be left sleeping under the dark pines when listening to this. Delighted that my season forced a bit of a learning curve for this - not that it was evident. Beautifully sung and played with such emotion with great contrast in the overall arrangement with strumming, fingerpicking, and an impressively played harmonica!

RedPaul 'dusted' off (ho ho!) this well-known song and gave it his own unique spin. Lovely fingerpicking contrasting with Bam! a driving ska strum! Woo!

Dean Beaver I don't see any trouble on the way with this arrangement, chock full of unexpected rhythms, strums and fingerpicking adding a huge contrast not only within the arrangement but also contrasting to the original song.

Mark C provided a non-entry entitled 'Fail' - didn't sound like a fail to me, but beware, if you head downtown you may hear some salty language :p Nicely played and worth doing again Mark!

mythinformed When you've clean windows you can clearly see through them that mythinformed contrasted a nice, jaunty pluck-strum going into gentle fingerpicking and the use of tremolo in this contrasting arrangement.

Turtledrum Taught me yet another new word - third this season! 'Taropatch'. A gorgeous instrumental which contrasts the two similar but different sounding instruments, showcasing the difference in their tonalities while fingerpicked.

Ceeyay always brings enthusiasm and experimentation to his arrangements and this was no exception. Slides, hammer-ons, strums, fingerpicking, and god knows what else have been crammed into this arrangement without drowning out the original melody : )

The Only Uke that Matters This song is like one of those a tinned Sunday dinners you see - packed full of everything in one small container. In less than two minutes we were treated to high school punk rock bass line, BEVOMU-style upstrumming, fingerpicking, ukulele group down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up strumming, reggae, Bay Area ska punk, middle-aged punk. Contrast a-go-go

AuntieUku lovely vocals, beautiful playing and equally - gentle chuck strumming contrasting with the instrumental intro. No guitars would weep upon hearing this.

Thanks all! I'll check later in case of late entries : )

And thus endeth the season on a high note (literally) from Bonesigh with a harmonic! A fab performance from Janet, from the delicately played intro, to the wonderfully strummed mid-section with fan strums. : )

Thanks again everyone for all your efforts. Will announce winners etc. soon! xxx

And thus endeth the season on a high note (literally) from Bonesigh with a harmonic! A fab performance from Janet, from the delicately played intro, to the wonderfully strummed mid-section with fan strums. : )

Thanks again everyone for all your efforts. Will announce winners etc. soon! xxx

Congratulations on a great season. Fair play to ya! :)

WRAP UP

Hi everyone - And thanks again so much for all your efforts for the first Season I hosted. Apologies again for the slight delay in beginning.

I wasn't sure what prize to get. Irish tin whistles were on the agenda for a while, but was discarded! (The Seasons crew breathe a big sigh of relief that they won't be getting one of them!). As I'm an artist, I decided instead to offer the winners an ultra-mini miniature painting in watercolour, subject of their choice {ideally not a portrait, as I'm out of practice and you might be waiting months for the finished piece}.

I was inspired by the artist behind the Paintings for Ants series (see video below) and since I like doing tiny little paintings and drawings myself, I thought this would be an opportunity to try out something similar.

The worst part of hosting a season has been choosing people to award the above to. Every entry that came in I could see people put in a lot of effort with their arrangements and I enjoyed listening and watching all of them immensely. What I've done is pick three that resonated with me in very different way and have also picked 3 at random to make it more fair.

Without further ado - the names are as they are on Youtube:

Agaringer for her half English half Hawaiian version of Aloha Oe which was beautifully played
Dean Beaver for his Teddy Bears' Picnic - Spookulele Version - I'm rather fond of anything spooky and/or silly, and this ticked the boxes for me on that score.
Gina S. Her mash up of Pink Floyd Echoes with her own original of the same title which I found very poignant.

I also scribbled everyone else's usernames on pieces of paper to pick another 3. I'm afraid due to the nature of the luck of the draw it's a very manly outcome. Not one female player among them. Blame 'Lady Luck' for this discrimination, not me!

The randomly chosen prizewinners are:
LumpyWaffleSquirt
Dennis Danner
OnlyUkeThatMatters

I wish I could award you all prizes - many of you had superb entries, if I was to pick out some special mentions it would be to nearly you all, so I'll refrain. If anyone's not bothered about getting a mini painting and others REALLY want one do let me know and I'll swap them round.

Here's an idea of the paintings I intend to do - prize winners simply Private Message me your name and address, then the subject you want painted. Send me a link to an image if you have one. Or send a jpeg of an actual image you want copied if you have something very specific - I'll endeavour to recreate your chosen item/animal/scene it as a miniature painting.

Top Bottom