Seagull Uke Steel Electro Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Thank you for reviewing this one, Barry. I've been quite curious of these Seagull offerings. I've been a long time fan and user of their guitars and like them very much. I like it! However, I might like the nylon string version just a bit more.

Quite an unusual beast, that, definitely exploring the fuzzy region where a uke becomes something different. Mind you, I don't think many baritones sound particularly like ukuleles so it's not as if there's a single definition. At what point does a knife become a sword? Happy to consider this as very much its own thing; lots to like about it, too.

That fretboard does look like a rather pale and uneven bit of rosewood, though. Pity, considering how the rest of the instrument is finished.

Edit: Just had a look on the World of Ukes site and was surprised to see that the nylon strung version costs another £40. Possibly my unfamiliarity with steel-strung instruments, but I had expected them to be the same price.

Last edited:
Good review as always Baz. Is it better than the steel string Risa (kidney bean or Les Paul) though since it’s in the same price ballpark.

Edit: Just had a look on the World of Ukes site and was surprised to see that the nylon strung version costs another £40. Possibly my unfamiliarity with steel-strung instruments, but I had expected them to be the same price.

The MSRP is the same on both models. So I'd ask the retailer why they are charging more. Maybe they're including a gig bag or something.

Good review as always Baz. Is it better than the steel string Risa (kidney bean or Les Paul) though since it’s in the same price ballpark.

VERY different to the Risa - completely - no comparison. Same on quality control stakes though

That fretboard does look like a rather pale and uneven bit of rosewood, though. Pity, considering how the rest of the instrument is finished.

Actually - the light for the photographs was a bit weird - the fretboard is really very nice - ignore the picture!

So does the steel stringed uke have a piezo pickup installed? I see no magnetic pickup.

If so this is a very strange beast indeed.

Good review Baz thanks. I had opportunity to play both in dealership in Canada. Agree with all your comments. The Volume and tone knobs could easily be changed. I wish they were tenor size. As all Godin, Seagull, etc products very well made. Great fit and finish. Nice to see Seagull push the boundaries. I did notice different nut sizes for steel vrs nylon and both side by each for met trial. Soprano is just too small for me but I’m sure many will love these ukuleles.

Thanks for the great review Baz!

I usually like Seagull's stuff but I found this to be plain ugly. It's a pity 'cause it sounds good and it seems to be a neat idea. Nevertheless I cannot go past its look.

Last edited:
It's certainly love it or hate it on the looks!

They must have lost their minds with going soprano size.....what were they thinking of?
not even a concert size?????????
those knobs and pickguard are so garrishly tacky and ugly.....
should both be black....
its an instrument not a kaladiscope

Concert or tenor size, black hardware and pickguard, I would buy one

Last edited:
Out of interest - what's wrong with soprano size - it feels MUCH bigger, has 16 frets so not limited there either. Honestly - doesn't feel like any soprano I've played in the hands.

It's different!

Not sure that I'd want one, but someone will. It looks quite nice to my eye, except I'm in agreement over the pick guard & knobs, they don't seem to blend very well.

Soprano scale, no problem, lots of people like the scale. I think the saddle it quite a bit away from the butt end which would make it feel bigger, but it still has the soprano spacing on the fretboard.

Picture for those who think soprano as a scale is 'crazy'. Not quite what you might think

L - R - Kanile'a Tenor, Seagull Soprano, Kamaka Soprano

2018-02-06 22.43.42.jpg

Nice review! To me it has the look of a Rickenbacker fireglo, which isn’t a bad thing.11CD7D5A-8A4A-42E3-907C-580349C082A6.jpg

Top Bottom