Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seagull Uke Steel Electro Soprano - REVIEW

Default Seagull Uke Steel Electro Soprano - REVIEW

Highly unusual, but a lot of fun!

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2018/02/s...q-electro.html
    4 Strings made of nylon, always put a smile on, anybody's face who's feeling blue....

The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Martin S1, Fluke, Flea, Kiwaya KTS-5, Pono MHD Pro Classic

Thank you for reviewing this one, Barry. I've been quite curious of these Seagull offerings. I've been a long time fan and user of their guitars and like them very much. I like it! However, I might like the nylon string version just a bit more.

Quite an unusual beast, that, definitely exploring the fuzzy region where a uke becomes something different. Mind you, I don't think many baritones sound particularly like ukuleles so it's not as if there's a single definition. At what point does a knife become a sword? Happy to consider this as very much its own thing; lots to like about it, too.

That fretboard does look like a rather pale and uneven bit of rosewood, though. Pity, considering how the rest of the instrument is finished.

Edit: Just had a look on the World of Ukes site and was surprised to see that the nylon strung version costs another £40. Possibly my unfamiliarity with steel-strung instruments, but I had expected them to be the same price.
    Last edited by BigJackBrass; 02-04-2018 at 05:51 AM.
    ‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’ - Samuel Johnson

Good review as always Baz. Is it better than the steel string Risa (kidney bean or Les Paul) though since it’s in the same price ballpark.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Quote Originally Posted by BigJackBrass View Post

Edit: Just had a look on the World of Ukes site and was surprised to see that the nylon strung version costs another £40. Possibly my unfamiliarity with steel-strung instruments, but I had expected them to be the same price.
    The MSRP is the same on both models. So I'd ask the retailer why they are charging more. Maybe they're including a gig bag or something.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Eddie View Post
    The MSRP is the same on both models. So I'd ask the retailer why they are charging more. Maybe they're including a gig bag or something.
    Ah, righto. Thanks for the info.
    ‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’ - Samuel Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by igorthebarbarian View Post
    Good review as always Baz. Is it better than the steel string Risa (kidney bean or Les Paul) though since it’s in the same price ballpark.
    VERY different to the Risa - completely - no comparison. Same on quality control stakes though
    4 Strings made of nylon, always put a smile on, anybody's face who's feeling blue....

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Martin S1, Fluke, Flea, Kiwaya KTS-5, Pono MHD Pro Classic

Quote Originally Posted by BigJackBrass View Post

That fretboard does look like a rather pale and uneven bit of rosewood, though. Pity, considering how the rest of the instrument is finished.

Actually - the light for the photographs was a bit weird - the fretboard is really very nice - ignore the picture!

So does the steel stringed uke have a piezo pickup installed? I see no magnetic pickup.

If so this is a very strange beast indeed.
    This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

Good review Baz thanks. I had opportunity to play both in dealership in Canada. Agree with all your comments. The Volume and tone knobs could easily be changed. I wish they were tenor size. As all Godin, Seagull, etc products very well made. Great fit and finish. Nice to see Seagull push the boundaries. I did notice different nut sizes for steel vrs nylon and both side by each for met trial. Soprano is just too small for me but I’m sure many will love these ukuleles.

Thread Information