Options on the Outdoor soprano

jackj

Reaction score
I’m about to order an Outdoor soprano but I’m hesitating over some of the options. I emailed them a couple of days ago about some of these , but I haven’t yet heard back and I’m itchin’ to get the order placed.

1. Strap buttons. I almost always use a strap so I’m glad that buttons are an option. But it looks like they install the second button on the g-string side of the upper bout. On all my other ukes (and guitars) I’ve got the button on the a-string side of the neck heel. Is there any reason this can’t be done on an Outdoor?

2. Tuners. The standard tuners are geared Grovers, so I’d expect them to be decent. But I’m wondering if the upgrade tuners (whose make isn’t specified) are worth it.

3. Finally, color. I can’t decide! The white, brown, and green all appeal to me in different ways. Right now I’m leaning white (“moonshine”), but it would be interesting to hear why others chose the color they did, and if anyone regretted going with the white.

Thanks!

They do attach the strap button on that shoulder. I thought it would bother me...and I don’t even think about it.

The tuners are fine—the big question is whether you want silver or gold. No need to go beyond the stock options.

My original Outdoor was my tenor. I chose the old moonshine (less translucent) because I wanted to put lights in it (glow sticks when camping, Christmas lights, etc.).

If this black unit (tenor) sells well—I would expect to see a soprano version. I was also told to expect another color option (they ran purple on a limited basis in the recent past). I would not expect to see camouflage, gold, or silver again as apparently there were issues with the finishes (I never heard anything at the time—I thought I would have caught something like that).

Thanks for the tips! Glad to know you have no issues with the strap button location. I'd still prefer the neck heel so that I can move the same strap from one soprano to another without adjusting it, but that's not a big deal.

I hadn't yet seen the new black tenor--interesting! Visually it doesn't appeal to me as much as the standard offerings. But I'm intrigued by the "15% brighter" statement, and wonder if it might also be louder.

Hard to tell from web clips, but are Outdoors typically not "bright" sounding?

I'm with Choirguy on the tuners. I bought the upgrade and they are just OK. On the strap button, if I had it to do over I would install it myself. I don't like the position on the G side. It would take some manual dexterity and a socket with an extension to put it in yourself, though.

That spot for the upper strap button on the bass side of the upper bout is the same place used on my Blackbird Farallon, and it works just fine at keeping the strap completely out of the way. The only reason it isn't typically used on most acoustic guitars or ukes is that that location on the side isn't strong enough to support the button without gluing a reinforcement block on the inside. You might be able to mount a strap button on the heel of the neck on an Outdoor uke, but you will really need to find some way to through-bolt it to make it really secure. Just driving a screw into most plastic or fiberglass doesn't work very well. The strap buttons on my carbon fiber guitars are all bolted, not screwed.

I posted on their facebook post about other color options on the brand "new" carbon-fiber-ish one and it said only that carbon fiber black would be available. I'll probably stick to jones'ing for the moonshine white, which I think looks really cool.

I'm with Choirguy on the tuners. I bought the upgrade and they are just OK. On the strap button, if I had it to do over I would install it myself. I don't like the position on the G side. It would take some manual dexterity and a socket with an extension to put it in yourself, though.

@Uke Don, can you please share more about your experience with the upgraded tuners? I'm interested in the differences as well and would love to hear more.

They do attach the strap button on that shoulder. I thought it would bother me...and I don’t even think about it.

The tuners are fine—the big question is whether you want silver or gold. No need to go beyond the stock options.

My original Outdoor was my tenor. I chose the old moonshine (less translucent) because I wanted to put lights in it (glow sticks when camping, Christmas lights, etc.).

If this black unit (tenor) sells well—I would expect to see a soprano version. I was also told to expect another color option (they ran purple on a limited basis in the recent past). I would not expect to see camouflage, gold, or silver again as apparently there were issues with the finishes (I never heard anything at the time—I thought I would have caught something like that).

@Choirguy, any idea on when they may have another color option from what you've heard? None of the current colors are personal favs. I do really love the black of the new carbon and would *love* to get one of those but I'm thinking about getting a soprano first just because it's so easy to bring along everywhere due to the size. I don't want to place an order for a color I'm not wild about only to find a new option released shortly after. I'd absolutely love an amethyst, as they had for a short time last year, I think. Maybe a similar color coming up?

Hard to tell from web clips, but are Outdoors typically not "bright" sounding?

From what I can tell, a lot depends on the strings used. They have a few options on the website and describe how each of them tends to sound on their ukes. From their own descriptions, the Aquila Red are the brightest, from what I can tell. I think they sound is fairly variable from these, which I think is cool. One thing I've heard mentioned a couple of times on different videos is that the OUs tend to be sound a little more percussive than other ukes. Again, I like that.

I do really love the black of the new carbon and would *love* to get one of those but I'm thinking about getting a soprano first just because it's so easy to bring along everywhere due to the size.

They indicated to me that they will be doing sopranos in carbon fiber sometime soon. I was tempted to wait thinking they might be better sonically, but different strokes: I really don't like the look of the all black instrument. I was torn between the three current color options, but ended up going with Moonshine. I take delivery Friday. Though it's very unfortunate since my wife is off work that day, and I'll be in hot water. I've only been playing one year, but have acquired new ukes at a rate of about one/month. For some reason she considers that excessive.

Oooooh, really, @jackj? How did you hear that? I'd love to learn more. In many ways, that's exactly what I'd like. I didn't think they would be doing that, though it didn't seem like difficult thing to accomplish since they already have all the molds. :)

I heard (after the tenor Carbon Fiber and Polycarbonate Mix was announced) that we would see a soprano in the same formula later in the year.

My only negative about the black is that it will absorb heat...which won’t hurt it, but it could make it unplayable in certain situations.

Last edited:
Oooooh, really, @jackj? How did you hear that? I'd love to learn more.

On Feb 5th I sent OU an email asking, “Just noticed your new carbon tenor. Do you have plans to offer it in the soprano scale, and if you do, when?” To which Jennifer replied on Feb 7th, “Yes we do. Just waiting on the order. Hopefully in about a month.”

I just noticed on their site that they show "sold out" for there new carbon fiber / poly composite tenors. I thought they made these to order? Perhaps they are just out of the material at the moment? I agree, a soprano in this material might be nice.

I can't speak to the carbon fiber ukes, but when I visited their shop a few years back it appeared that they kept the basic uke body in a certain quantity, and would modify each based on a customer's preferences. I was buying a brown tenor, and they installed a strap button for me. They would run out then, too, and wait for more to be produced. It didn't seem like they kept a huge back stock at the time.

Or, I could be completely wrong... :)

Bill

I don’t know for certain, but I think they order a set of parts at a time from the injection mold company. It makes sense in a number of ways...unless you want yours in 2 days.

I have 2 Outdoor Ukuleles. An amethyst soprano and a bottle brown tenor. I love both colors. I have heard rumor with will be offering a blue ukulele in the future.
I personally like the brown or moonshine best of the currently available options.

Mine both have the stock tuners and they are great. Once the strings have settled, it stays in tune for days. And I haven't noticed any issues when traveling with the ukulele having them getting "bumped" out of tune easily. I think the stock Grovers are perfect. Both of mine also have 2 strap buttons location on G side sholder and it's been fine. Never been an issue.

I love mine and play them a lot! Love to take them on car drives when my husband is driving. A little extra practice time!

I have 2 Outdoor Ukuleles. An amethyst soprano and a bottle brown tenor. I love both colors. I have heard rumor with will be offering a blue ukulele in the future.
I personally like the brown or moonshine best of the currently available options.

Mine both have the stock tuners and they are great. Once the strings have settled, it stays in tune for days. And I haven't noticed any issues when traveling with the ukulele having them getting "bumped" out of tune easily. I think the stock Grovers are perfect. Both of mine also have 2 strap buttons location on G side sholder and it's been fine. Never been an issue.

I love mine and play them a lot! Love to take them on car drives when my husband is driving. A little extra practice time!

Those sound lovely! I'm sure they're great. I'm looking forward to ordering mine. Just trying to get a little more info on a couple of things. Which brings me to a question. @kiaa-- can you please tell me more about your two straps buttons? One is obviously on the G side shoulder, as you said. I'm assuming that the other is on the end? Just double checking to see what's worked well for you before I decide. :) Thanks again for sharing your experience. I have to say, I'm pretty darn jealous of the amethyst. That color is beautiful! And, I'm loving the idea of practicing in the car. It's nice because you can still be somewhat aware of what's going on around you, depending on what you're practicing. That would be perfect for car driving time. And we have a lot of that with having to travel 4k miles 3-4 times a year for my surgeries. I'll have to be sure not to drive my spouse crazy!

Top Bottom