Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baritone question

Thanks Vic. I’ve passed on the info and I’ll see what he thinks.
    My ukulele family.....
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Loprinzi cedar & rosewood concert
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood

I had the cedar topped Kala and traded it for the Cordoba 24B. For me, the Cordoba was worlds better. Between the two, I found it lighter and, having a thinner neck, easier to play. The person a I traded with liked the Kala better. He liked the thicker neck. So, bottom line is they are both great ukes with personal preference being the differentiating factor. As a note, I only sold the Cordoba because I received the LoPrinzi baritone I had ordered. The Cordoba was so good that if I had not already ordered the LoPrinzi, I probably wouldn't have.
    Main players:

Soprano: Kepasa Madeira | Kiwaya KS-1

Concert: Collings UC2 | Collings UC2K | Talsma Style 3 | 16" Ono | Ono Pineapple

Tenor: Collings UT3SMB

Baritone: LoPrinzi

I played an Ohana bk70R in the shop and was really impressed. At just under $300, it seems like a great value too. fig
    Keep Strummin'

Quote Originally Posted by WCBarnes View Post
    I had the cedar topped Kala and traded it for the Cordoba 24B. For me, the Cordoba was worlds better. Between the two, I found it lighter and, having a thinner neck, easier to play. The person a I traded with liked the Kala better. He liked the thicker neck. So, bottom line is they are both great ukes with personal preference being the differentiating factor. As a note, I only sold the Cordoba because I received the LoPrinzi baritone I had ordered. The Cordoba was so good that if I had not already ordered the LoPrinzi, I probably wouldn't have.
    So far the only uke my friend has played is the Islander tenor that I sold him. How would you compare the Kala neck to the Islander with it's 1.5 inch nut? He really wants one with a pick-up, so the Kala with MiSi pick-up seems like a nice choice in his price range. He would have to buy new and get the pick-up installed or buy a used one with a pick-up as we don't have options in our area for having one installed.
    My ukulele family.....
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Loprinzi cedar & rosewood concert
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    So far the only uke my friend has played is the Islander tenor that I sold him. How would you compare the Kala neck to the Islander with it's 1.5 inch nut? He really wants one with a pick-up, so the Kala with MiSi pick-up seems like a nice choice in his price range. He would have to buy new and get the pick-up installed or buy a used one with a pick-up as we don't have options in our area for having one installed.
    Both the Kala and Cordoba have a 1 1/2" nut width, so either would be same there. I used to have an Islander and I would say that it is closer to the shape and feel of the Cordoba. That said, the Kala is quite nice and I didn't have any issues playing it. If the Cordoba and Islander have a thin neck, the Kala is middle of the road. In my opinion, they are close enough that if a pickup is necessary, the used Kala would be a great choice. If he was going new, I personally, would go with a Cordoba. In fact, I have been thinking of adding one again to use for playing open tuning/slack key.
    Main players:

Soprano: Kepasa Madeira | Kiwaya KS-1

Concert: Collings UC2 | Collings UC2K | Talsma Style 3 | 16" Ono | Ono Pineapple

Tenor: Collings UT3SMB

Baritone: LoPrinzi

I just posted to another discussion that I believe a Pono baritone is the best dollar for dollar value of any baritone.
    Baritones Only - 'Don't Fret The Small Stuff'
    MyaMoe cutaway custom - Curly Redwood/Walnut
    Portland Guitars custom - Sitka Spruce/Bolivian Rosewood
    Pono - Mahogany

Bart Reiter 5 String Banjo
    Blueridge Tenor Guitar

Thread Information