Fender Montecito or Oscar Schmidt OU7T (Tenor)

AnneG

Reaction score
I have a Kala Ka Cem and am looking to get a tenor so that I can put in a low G. I have read reviews, etc. and while I know there are many other options, I do love how these 2 Ukes look 😊.

Which of these 2 would you suggest and why?

I am relatively new to playing by the way, but want a decent sounding uke (tenor) with a deeper tone to what is already have. Thanks!!

I don't know either of the ones you are looking at, but I would suggest another Kala or an Ohana, from my own experiences, depending on how much you want to pay, either a mahogany or cedar topped, or a solid mahogany. :)

(You could put a low G on your concert.)

Hi Anne! Welcome to the fun.

If you like the distinctive Fender headstock (which is kinda cool, IMHO), Hawaii Music Supply still has some limited run solid-topped Fender Noheas. Since you're new, I don't know if you've read the hundreds of posts discussing the importance of a set-up to not only ensure good intonation, but also to make playing comfortable for you. This is REALLY important. All HMS ukes include this setup, no matter the price.

Check out this link for specs on the Nohea, and one of HMS's wonderful videos.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/fender-solid-koa-top-tenor-exclusive-model-limited-run.html

Thank you for this! The Fender sold by HMS would have been a great option, but unfortunately I will be subjected to custom fees and shipping is over USD60 as I live in Germany.

I don't know if this would be an option for you, but the Southern Ukulele Store in the UK is highly regarded and has a nice selection of tenor Kala ukes.

Thanks, I will check them out!

I kind of want to have another brand Ukulele. I did read good reviews of the 2 I mentioned, I just wanted to know if some of you guys have played it before and have any comments on it. :)

Thanks, I will check them out!

I kind of want to have another brand Ukulele. I did read good reviews of the 2 I mentioned, I just wanted to know if some of you guys have played it before and have any comments on it. :)

I seem to recall trying the fender years ago, so my memory might be fuzzy, but I recall not wanting to play it very long. It didn't sound that great, poor projection and kinda of... muddy sounding. Also.. the feel of the neck I seem to recall disliking although tbh I don't remember what about it felt wrong in my hand.

From what I have absorbed through this forum and other ukulele information on the internet, Fender is not highly regarded when it comes to ukuleles. If I was choosing between those two options, I'd go with the Oscar Schmidt.

Thanks true. Got a Ukulele rated it quite high though..

This is the very newly launched model: Montecito. Got a Ukulele gave it quite a high rating.

I have a Kala Ka Cem and am looking to get a tenor so that I can put in a low G. I have read reviews, etc. and while I know there are many other options, I do love how these 2 Ukes look ��.

Which of these 2 would you suggest and why?

I am relatively new to playing by the way, but want a decent sounding uke (tenor) with a deeper tone to what is already have. Thanks!!

My first ukulele was a spalted mango Oscar Schmidt. I was happy with it, until I moved up in quality and price. I'll tell you the main differences I see between my Oscar Schmidt and more expensive models. The first thing is volume and sustain. The Oscar Schmidt isn't as loud as my Kamaka and its tone is a little more curt. The Oscar Schmidt does sound good, it just isn't as resonant, probably because it isn't solid wood. The second thing is the details of craftsmanship. The Oscar Schmidt's builders obviously didn't devote as much time to the little things like bindings and purflings and the transitions from surface to surface.

That's it. To my mind at least the biggest differences between Oscar Schmidt and more expensive ukuleles was some nuance in sound quality and some arguably pedantic points about cosmetics. I do also suggest getting the ukulele set-up. I never set my Oscar Schmidt up; I just learned to live with high action and I thought it was natural to struggle in that way. I didn't know any better.

So, as long as you accept the Oscar Schmidt for what it is, I think you'll enjoy it. I really liked mine with its Brown Worth Low G strings.

I have the Montecito, as well as the previous model, Nohea. They're both very good. Barry's review is very good and to the point. (http://www.gotaukulele.com/2017/09/fender-montecito-tenor-ukulele-review.html). People focus in the telecaster headstock; it's a hate/love situation. If oyu like t, fine, if not, don't buy it.

It's very well made and rather inexpensive for a solid koa top. It has a beautiful koa sound, not a lound sound, though. I'm very happy with it.

Eugenio

Top Bottom