Honu replica in Vietnamese store ?

Rufio0

Reaction score
I found today in a Vietnamese store this uke :)
It looks like Honu Ukulele but it is made in Vietnam.
Also shopkeeper said that this is Koa wood and neck is mahogany ?
It looks really beautiful..but I am not sure about this.
Price is around 200$
What do you think about this ?
I would appreciate your opinion about this.
Thanks in advance.

20180206_194759.jpg

Looks kinda blingy for my taste but YMMV.
Check to see how thick the top is. Most importantly, how does it play for you?

Where in Vietnam did you see this?

I will be returning to Ho Chi Minh city in June and would like to visit this Ukulele Store. Last year I visited Bruce Wei, but did't pick up any.

What is your opinion of the ones you saw there?

In Guitar Street
There is a lot of shops there but I think that all of them order cheap Chinese Ukes that I saw on aliexpres and then just setup them a little and sell.
Also they talk about some kind of Vietnamese Koa.. I never heard about it.
If you come send me mail gromovnikdesign@gmail.com maybe we can walk together there.
I try to find some people who play Uke here but there's no body :(

Vietnamese Koa? That's not a thing. You might get Vietnamese Acacia - but only Acacia grown on Hawaii is called Koa.

I just read about this brand, and I am quite courious. Through I think the less blingy models suit me more.

Apparently Big Island Ukuleles ship Koa from Hawaii to Vietnam, to have these Ukuleles build there. According to their website that is.

Does anyone have experience with this brand?
And how many different Honu brands are there?

Edit:
I realize that the uke in OP is more blingy than anything on their webpage, and way cheaper. So it might be pretty dog. And I can't find where it says that the real one are put togerher in Vietnam from Big Island Koa, but I read it somewhere, either on their own page or a vendors page. So the concept of a Vietnamese made Honu from real Koa is not that off.

Last edited:
This link not working.
I heard that many of big brands build their Ukes in Vietnam.
I made research but I still didnt find thease builders.
I would like to buy good thing here, but most of this
instruments here they build of that "Vietnamese Koa". I found somewhere name Monkeypod tree but I am not familiar is that wood good for instruments. Also they sell rosewood/ceder and american maple Ukes...also very cheap instruments..
Now I am confused what to do hahah

Koa is a subspecies of the Acacia family that grow all over the World yet "Koa" only grows in Hawaii.

I have some fine instruments made from Vietnamese and SE Asian timbers. It all comes down to the individual instrument. Play it. If its a good instrument then its a good instrument.

Top Bottom