Comparison- Koaloha Opio and Koaloha Longneck Soprano Ukuleles

Thanks Vic! Great comparison with the same strings. I have to say I can't hear much difference. The Koaloha might have a bit more "depth" to it that a low G might accentuate more, but in reentrant, man, I'm not hearing anything I would pay double for.

My thoughts are similar to yours, Jim.

I think the full Koa is better looking, partially because of the gloss finish and “appointments” (As Barry Maz would say) on the headstock. However, if they treated that Opio Acacia with gloss...that might end up looking just as good.

I’m quite pleased with my Opios and I don’t have Koa envy...but I do have Koa plans. When my wife and I visit Hawaii, I’m buying one (or picking one up) in the factory. Maybe a Kamaka at the same time (why not...you’re there). But until then, my main “players” remain my two Opios (concert acacia and tenor sapele). But I play all the other ones, too.

Vic, thanks for doing that recording. I might have done a split screen...recording to a track (beat, bass line, whatever), and played with having both play at the same time, then switching between one and the other.

What this really goes to show is the value you’re getting with an Opio...very similar tone for a huge price reduction.

Thanks again, Vic!

Thanks for doing the comparison, Vic, I do hear a slight difference, the koa seems to have a slightly 'sharper' 'edge' tone to it, my ears 'felt' it, rather than heard the difference.

I think I actually prefer the look of the Opio too, but of course, personal opinion.

Thanks so much for doing this comparison!! I have always wondered about the differences in sound between the two - and with the same strings yet. Both sound great, with the Koa having a very slight edge, to my ears, on note clarity. Oh no, to date I haven’t been drawn to a Koa instrument but that might be changing LOL.

I think we may all be biased because it the koa is made of koa and thus it has to be better.

An interesting comparison would be a blind test...Instrument A and B, not being able to see the instruments.

And I don’t know if that is even fair, because Vic may actually play the koa better because it is koa. We all do weird things when it comes down to these sorts of things.

And who knows? Even the finish may come into play as it impacts the sound.

At the same time, you could line up 5 of the same model/wood and they will sound slightly different as well.

Top Bottom