Banjo uke advice sought

As a builder of reasonably good solid wood banjo ukes, I think these new Gold Tones banjo ukes look absolutely.......
........................................................FABULOUS. :D

I don't think these are going to compete with you, Dennis!

I don't think these are going to compete with you, Dennis!

Well competition is a good thing, but we are in different areas of the market. But, I love the innovation of these, the whole look of them shouts FUN, heck I may even buy one myself! :cool:

This and one other in our Marketplace: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?131386-Anuenue-Banjo-Banjolele-Concert As a side note, I don't think there are a lot of people that have been happy with soprano size banjo ukes based on feedback here. I had one and got rid of it quickly to get a concert size. A lot of people have found they didn't play their banjo uke much and those that spent a lot on one generally regretted it. Perhaps an entry level one would work just to see how much play it gets, something you could easily sell if you want to spend more on a quality one. If you like to fiddle with your instruments, I've seen a cute little concert size flame maple banjo uke on ebay from China for less than $85. and others even cheaper. They are well worth the small amount they cost. https://www.ebay.com/sch/String/180...t=180016&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=70&_udhi=90

Last edited:
I’m at the Texas Music Education Association convention in San Antonio and West Music had TWO of the plastic Gold Tones in stock. I have a Kala concert that meets my playing needs, but if I didn’t—these would be fine. They aren’t light like the Firefly. But they sound good and feel like a Banjolele—it’s a winner for $150.

I was given a Gold Tone Little Gem the other day by my wife for my 75th birthday and find it a great little instrument at a very affordable UK price.I started my interest in the banjo sound back in the 1950's trying to copy Lonnie Donovan with a short scale tenor but in group playing ended up playing flat pick guitar.My recent interest in soprano uke and teaching grandsons to play uke made me realise a banjo uke could help me get back to a banjo sound for my love of Appalachian and old time music with a lot of inspiration from Lil Rev, The Quiet American and similar musicians,thank goodness for Web searches!! For my limited experience the Little Gem fits in very nicely.I have only just got into this forum so any advice would be very welcome. I would usually have opted for a more traditionally built instrument but the engineering of the plastic really interested me and it seems to work,other more experienced ears may disagree.

To complicate the plastic banjo uke world, Outdoor Ukulele company in Oregon is coming out with their own version soon. In my opinion, the OU looks better / classier

The OU is going to compete with the Firefly Tenor - Tenor scale and an 11” pot (whoa!)
https://www.facebook.com/OutdoorUkulele/posts/1016462531838857

The bracing would appear to be overkill ¡ unless the body is really thin plastic then it may need some support. Doesn't look right to me.

Top Bottom