How do you hold youe ukulele?

Great thread. Really enjoyed hearing everyone's experiences and perspectives. And confirmed that I definitely want a strap on my uke. ;)

...I’m tempted to move her up to a concert or tenor to force the issue...

Why? If it works for her, what's the problem.

I see Samantha Muir with 2 strap pegs on her sopranos, so that's good enough for me. However, I hate drilling into vintage ukes, but a single small strap peg down on the bottom is as far as I'll go with those, with a leather shoelace between the tuners at the head. I like the Gibson style strap pegs, they are smaller than most, and come in black, which looks better IMO. I use a nice thin Levy's mando leather strap I already had, works great, all leather, slide adjustment. I don't want metal strap buckles anywhere near my ukes.

Last edited:
Folks that frown on using a strap are either in a bubble, ignorant or just trolling.

I like the freedom of playing uke without strap and also nonformality. Sometimes just watching TV and laying on my couch. I don't feel being in a bubble, being ignorant and certainly not trolling. Everyone should be able to play their ukes how they like without getting put on labels or branded like the above comment.

If I was a serious fingerpicker I would use a strap, because of the ukulele's tiny body. But I'm a strummer and traditional way works really well for me. It also looks so cool., to me.

We saw Jake Shimabukuru playing with a uke yoke type strap thing last night. I personally prefer a regular strap, and after watching Jake, I will never, ever be ashamed to use a strap. Standing or sitting.

Years ago he didn't use a strap and was able to play all his insanely hard stuff standing up!

I mostly do not use a strap, either standing or sitting. That being said, I do have a couple of straps (leftover from my guitar days) and have no problem fitting them if I think I need one.
When do I think I need one?
Gigs. If I want to walk around and have the ability to carry something AND have my ukulele safely out of the way, like on my back, I will use a strap.
Also, While I can stand and strum and not worry about holding my ukulele (left hand barely supports the neck, the real "clamp" is with the forearm against my body. I strum at the wrist, so I don't need my elbow joint to move while playing.
I do find that more elaborate fingerstyle does necessitate that I re-position my wrist somewhat, and that makes it a bit more of a challenge to hold the ukulele while standing, but seated I am just fine.
Lastly, I recently got a Compass Rose ukulele, which has amazing resonance. I find that its sound is muffled somewhat when holding the ukulele against my body with my right forearm, so, If I use a strap, I no longer need to hold it there with my forearm and the body is free to resonate.

So if you play with a strap, it is not because you are incapable or somehow inferior - it is just what YOU like to do.
No one else matters except YOU!
Have fun!

I mostly do not use a strap, either standing or sitting. That being said, I do have a couple of straps (leftover from my guitar days) and have no problem fitting them if I think I need one.
When do I think I need one?
Gigs. If I want to walk around and have the ability to carry something AND have my ukulele safely out of the way, like on my back, I will use a strap.
Also, While I can stand and strum and not worry about holding my ukulele (left hand barely supports the neck, the real "clamp" is with the forearm against my body. I strum at the wrist, so I don't need my elbow joint to move while playing.
I do find that more elaborate fingerstyle does necessitate that I re-position my wrist somewhat, and that makes it a bit more of a challenge to hold the ukulele while standing, but seated I am just fine.

.....+1....

Top Bottom