Southern Cross concert Banjo review

uketanzon

Reaction score
Got a beautiful Southern Cross Banjo Uke, concert size....used from a collector.....my review

I have owned a gold tone, firefly concert, a deering concert, a duke, even a lowly kmise....

still own a Duke 10 which I like a lot

By far...its the absolute best concert banjo I ever played. I think it blows away the deering as far a playabilty and ease of fretting, even though its not quite as loud as the deering with the 10 inch head.

Quality and construction is top notch. However not the lightest uke, it has some weight to it. as heavy as the deeing or close to it imho.

Its a work of art as well as being a quality sounding intrument. Never played a beansprout banjo so cannot compare.

For me , the absolute easiest banjo to play and chord is the Duke 10.
I just love its neck....and sound...and weight and its a far cry better looking than the original duke,
(and my friend has one we made into baritone banjo uke using Fremont Black line high d bari tuning for tenor size instruments.)

But its not in the same class of the Southern Cross which takes it to an all higher level in quality of components and attention to detail. The tenor size SC must be
awesome....I highly recoomend the SC.....although for money should come with a banjo armrest...preferable wood but at very least metal like what comes with the duke.....I think thats a no brainer...

So..I like them both, The SC and the duke 10(low g).. for different reasons...and sounds....and will keep them both.....although I would like to try the new tenor Firefly and a beansprout out of curiosity some day.

Attachments

• IMG_2657.jpg
    IMG_2657.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2649.jpg
    IMG_2649.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2650.jpg
    IMG_2650.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Wow, that thing is beautiful. If I could afford a Duke 10 I'd get one, and a Southern Cross too!

Thanks for the positive review I am delighted that you are enjoying it.
I have taken your comments about the armrest on board and am investigating how to include a version going forward.

Your welcome! You do excellent work.....!!! someone should grab awsome tenor for sale.....
the armrest would be a big plus.....

Dennis
what size is hardware...I want to get a banjo wrench.......
may also look at remo fiberskyn drum head in future......just prefer the looks of it...

Your welcome! You do excellent work.....!!! someone should grab awsome tenor for sale.....
the armrest would be a big plus.....

Dennis
what size is hardware...I want to get a banjo wrench.......
may also look at remo fiberskyn drum head in future......just prefer the looks of it...

Hi Mike,

This is the one I use.
https://www.amazon.com/3-way-Bracket-Tuning-Wrench-my-banjo/dp/B00TWPV5L2

I switched over to Fibreskin recently and will probably stay with them. I can't find an eight inch armrest for sale so I may have to look at making my own wooden ones. There is one advertised but $50.00!
I will see what I can come up with.
Thanks for the kind words.

Not surprised that you can't find an 8" radius armrest. When my Duke 10 arrived I noticed right away that the armrest they use does not match the 10" radius of their pot, and looks more like an 11" or 12" banjo armrest. So affordable 10" ones may not be readily available either. Hope you can work out something, as it would be a nice addition to your beautiful instruments.

Not surprised that you can't find an 8" radius armrest. When my Duke 10 arrived I noticed right away that the armrest they use does not match the 10" radius of their pot, and looks more like an 11" or 12" banjo armrest. So affordable 10" ones may not be readily available either. Hope you can work out something, as it would be a nice addition to your beautiful instruments.

Yes I thought the Duke one looked the wrong size. You are correct it is impossible to get one for an 8 inch diameter, I have made a start on a prototype, will see how it works out.
Cheers

Huge cost difference at $975 for the tenor vs $380 for the Duke, do you think it’s worth over double the cost?

Huge cost difference at $975 for the tenor vs $380 for the Duke, do you think it’s worth over double the cost?

Apples and oranges. SC is a custom, hand made, instrument. How much value you place on that is a personal decision.

For a luthier built instrument? I think you need to define that question more clearly. Worth is something that's a personal thing and often debated on every forum I've ever been associated with. The bigger question is what does worth mean to you? Is it construction? Attention to detail or extras like inlay, wood selection? Playability? Rarity? Materials? Popularity? A particular maker? Sound? Or something else? And within each of these categories lies other matters of perception, along with need vs want and so forth.

There's the old adage that something is only worth what the buyer will pay. And there's that other adage that if you have to ask you can't afford it. For me, I'd rather pay extra for a unique, one of a kind, luthier built instrument, that sounds and plays great (especially when the maker is a member of this forum) than something that's mass-produced or made in China. But that's just a reflection of where I'm currently at, ymmv.

What impresses me more, far beyond the considerations Jim and I have already stated, is Dennis' receptivity and willingness to look into available armrests on the market, and ultimately create an armrest from scratch at the suggestion of the OP. That's the kind of customer service you don't see very often these days, and is worth it's weight in gold.

I thought that an interesting question (Ukulelerick9255) but it’s a bit unfortunate that you haven’t specified who you are asking it of; I think that that’s a mistake and one I sometimes make too. Yes, one could reasonably think that it was intended for the OP but that’s an assumption. In terms of open market value an instrument is worth, at that point in time when it is sold, what someone is prepared to pay for it. That value can be very variable, I’ll give no names or reasons but one Luthier’s instruments have doubled in price over the last year .......

Whether Luthier build instruments are worth the extra money compared to those massed produced is one of those questions that’s impossible, I think, to give a universal answer to. I’m not inclined to think that they are (worth it) for me but that’s because I don’t play well enough to take advantage of the typically better build and also regard the price difference as significant - for me the money is better left in the bank and maybe I’m a bit mean with money too. However if you can play really well, or even just want a flash instrument to show off, and have plentiful discretionary funds then the answer is very different, there’s little reason not to go for it and enjoy.

Last edited:
Ha, since I started this thread.....
Southern cross is a work of art..thing of beauty and of course a musical instrument and a One of a kind ....I mean
Look at that tenor he has for sale, the beauty of the wood combinations, the workmanship..

The duke is a functional musical instrument, plain, no frills, a clone of many the same...

let me put it this way....the duke goes in the closet.....the SC goes in my display case with my custom Kamaka
and my Martin Iz

Last edited:
This is the prototype armrest. Tasmanian Blackwood.
May need to slim it down a bit.

Attachments

• AR1.jpg
    AR1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 17
  • AR2.jpg
    AR2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 19
  • AR3.jpg
    AR3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 15
Like the look of your prototype. How are you attaching it? A bracket between J bolts?

Yes. But more iterations to come before it is in any way ready for market. If ever!

Last edited:
stay the course Dennis, your on to something nice and unigue to your Banjo.

Made and test drove what I hope will be the final version yesterday. Half the size and works really well, just need to get some finish on it today then I can post some photos.

Final version of the armrest. Purple Heart and Claret Ash. Works really well. can be moved to any position.

Attachments

• AR4.jpg
    AR4.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 18
  • AR5.jpg
    AR5.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 22
  • AR7.jpg
    AR7.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom