Duke banjouke question

Nickie

Reaction score
I have a Duke (original 8 model) that only has 8 of the little steel things that hold the head down onto the body. I've read that having more will make the head more stable.
Where in the world would I get a few more to help stabilize this uke?

I have a Duke (original 8 model) that only has 8 of the little steel things that hold the head down onto the body. I've read that having more will make the head more stable.
Where in the world would I get a few more to help stabilize this uke?

Hi Nickie, The hooks are tension hooks, you will also need shoes and rim bolts/screws. All are available on eBay.

Having owned a Duke 10 I'm curious - what is happening that makes you think the head needs greater stability? Having fewer hooks is part of how they kept the weight down.

Having owned a Duke 10 I'm curious - what is happening that makes you think the head needs greater stability? Having fewer hooks is part of how they kept the weight down.

That's what I was wondering too. Would love it if Duke made a concert but they don't. I've contacted them with questions and they've been very responsive. I'm sure they'd want to know if there was something wrong with your instrument. Good luck.

The hooks are used to tension the head, the more hooks (within reason) the more even the tensioning.
The usual/average number of hooks on a banjo uke is probably 12 mine use 14. So the Duke has eight, four less than normal, I weighed one of my hooks, nut, shoe and rim bolt and these are top of the range, 22 grams. So a saving of 88 grams, probably a little less if cheaper quality. So not a huge weight saving .

Though I currently have no experience with banjo ukuleles (I am however working on resolving that), my 14" snare drums have both 8 lugs and 10 lugs. Most of them are 8 lug - larger diameter, fewer lugs than the topic here. When tensioned and tuned evenly, there is no trouble. What I benefit from with the 10 lug drums are a more fine tuned tuning range and tighter resonance. However, I prefer the tone and jangle from the 8 lug drums. They make a product for drums to reduce some of the ring called Moongel. It is a stick on square material that is just stuck on the head near the rim and then peeled back off when not wanted. I've wondered how this would work on an overly live banjo / banjo uke.

Surely, my post could all be moot when it comes to bajoleles and banjos - I have no idea.

Though I currently have no experience with banjo ukuleles (I am however working on resolving that), my 14" snare drums have both 8 lugs and 10 lugs. Most of them are 8 lug - larger diameter, fewer lugs than the topic here. When tensioned and tuned evenly, there is no trouble. What I benefit from with the 10 lug drums are a more fine tuned tuning range and tighter resonance. However, I prefer the tone and jangle from the 8 lug drums. They make a product for drums to reduce some of the ring called Moongel. It is a stick on square material that is just stuck on the head near the rim and then peeled back off when not wanted. I've wondered how this would work on an overly live banjo / banjo uke.

Surely, my post could all be moot when it comes to bajoleles and banjos - I have no idea.

Sounds an interesting product , could be worth experimenting with.

....They make a product for drums to reduce some of the ring called Moongel. It is a stick on square material that is just stuck on the head near the rim and then peeled back off when not wanted. I've wondered how this would work on an overly live banjo / banjo uke....

Fascinating idea. But isn't that what the sock stuffed in the back of the banjo is for? :)

81MWDIethML._SL1500_.jpg

My Duke 8" has been from California to Hawaii and back with no problems with the head.

I walked around in Waikiki and Lahaina playing it with no noticible ill effects on the head tension.

It's a great banjolele and because of its loudness and uniqueness it's also a great head turner and conversation starter.

I don't think you should worry about it if you don't already have a problem.

Aldon

Thanks for all of the replies, guys. I do like to fiddle around with my ukes. Maybe I'll leave this one alone.

.....to fiddle around with my ukes.....

Nice pun.

Have not found the need to add additional tension hooks on any of the Duke models, and have had them all. Like any banjo-like instrument, maintaining proper head tension is oaramount to best sound quality.

Interestingly, I put a Tone-Gard (www.tone-gard.com) on my Duke 10 and love it. The standard Tone-Gard (mandolin model) fits the Duke 10 perfectly. The result is IMHO a richer sound and better volume (as if a banko uke needs more volume!).

I must confess....I did already mess with this uke. I didn't like the paint on the neck, so I sanded it all off. It plays easier (for me) now. I guess I'm just a fiddly kinda gal...
I wonder if the tone guard would give my wooden ukes more volume? Hmmmmm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom